Hot Deals

[ChefSteps] ChefSteps Joule Sous Vide $229

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2017 2:54 pm
Apr 15, 2011
398 posts
92 upvotes
Thanks OP!

The polycarbonate one ships in March 2018, that is interesting. I wonder why it took them this long to be able to sell in Canada.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
1520 posts
407 upvotes
Ottawa
All the sous vide circulators on the market today (from a known brand) are all pretty similar in terms of performance. The real only difference between them is the features and the looks. Here's a good video comparing some of the more popular models available

Oct 18, 2006
250 posts
20 upvotes
I'm friends with the founders of Nomiku, and so I really want to support them. They introduced me to sous vide.

And unfortunately, I have to agree with you. Went through 4 units, and it's pretty rough since I have to ship it back to the US. To their credit, they took care of all costs each time, and shipped a replacement to me without requiring me to ship my unit back first.

However, my Joule's been having issues over the last week too. Something about the motor being stuck, even though it's completely clear. Maybe I'm mistreating my units.
Havox07 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 3:58 pm
Been through 6ish Nomikus before buying a Joule. I would not go back, this thing is amazing. The app is great, the device is small and light, drains instantly, heats fast. Probably the best sous vide on the market.
Apr 13, 2005
226 posts
18 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:56 pm
I've already picked up my cambros, it's also nice that they have precut lids for the Joule.

I'll be picking up a Breville Polysciene Smoking Gun to experiment with for thus holiday season.
Do you have any links to these precut cambro lids?
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4593 posts
817 upvotes
Markham
rebel_rfd wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:13 pm
Phone can be used to help guide you through cooking recipes. So your end result matches their end result.

Joule let's you set and forget it even when warming the water. Placed the pot on but had to go outside for a bit, Joule won't start the timer till your ready
More power is useful as Joule won't lose as much as heat as other units if you are cooking large pieces. How many times are you going to pour heated water to fill up a container to cook your holiday cuts?
Magnetic base means easy of use with existing pots.
Much more compact than the Anova when it comes to storage.

Anyways options are available for every type if consumer, for me, the extra money is worth it for Joule.
Anova has a app to guide you as well so that's no real benefit to cite. There's also no reason you can't have Anova Sous Vide and use Chefsteps guide/app as it is good. Having said that they don't require signing up or ownership of Joule to use the app so I use as a guide. I don't use the app to do sous vide quite often. I put the machine on, and set temp right on the machine. 129 F steak => check. Time => when I'm ready to take it out and sear I stop it. No app needed.

Power doesn't matter once the water is to temp. Water doesn't fluctuate so much that your sous vide has to kick out major heat to "hold" temp....unless you keep your sous vide bath outside in sub zero temps. FYI I ALWAYS use heated tap water as do most people who do sous vide. The sous vide unit is not effective to heat up large amounts of water....why start from 50/60/70F water when I can start my water at 120F (hot out of a tap)+some boiled water. Pretty easy hitting 129F when you start at 120F plus water.

Re. "losing heat", If you have a lot of surface area and you're doing a longer cook, insulate the top (to prevent evaporation) and sides as best as you can (using ping pong balls, coolers and foil insulation around the container).

Magenetic base....lot of people use Cambro poly containers (rectangular/square containers are easier to work with) and last time I checked, it's not magnetic. Added to that, I don't entirely trust magnetic only to hold up my sous vide because if it tips over, you just ruined your unit. Clips or clamp to side is safer.

The biggest problem with no digital display is you can't see what's going on without referencing your phone. Most people do not constantly check their phone to make sure the Joule is working properly and as a result if the units stops working and you don't check your phone, your food could be sitting there for hours with no heat. With Anova, you can easily visually check the temp whenever you walk by.

Compact I agree with (storage is not a good enough reason for me as I have storage space for all of my small appliances but space in my water bath is desirable), less water level requirement I agree with. If they had a display and if they sold the Joule here when they started out, I may have bought it if the price was right. Too late now as I have Anova. I'd rather save my money for more gadgets.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Jan 23, 2006
165 posts
44 upvotes
Vancouver
One other aspect of the Joule that's less obvious (used to have an Anova as well), is that the minimum water line is _way_ lower, due to its design. It's really handy for doing small cooks (one or two items), as you can use a lot less water, and due to the fact it's 1100W, it'll bring it up to temp within seconds.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
1086 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
couldnt you do what a joule does with an induction plate that can set temperature?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2462 posts
506 upvotes
Toronto
Sous Vide are unique for two reasons; precise temperature control and circulation of water.

I've tried the poormans crock pot and thermal probe, the lack of water circulation means some areas get cooked unevenly.
Feb 13, 2004
509 posts
40 upvotes
Vancouver
I would wait to see if they offer any black friday promo. Also if close to boarder last month there were $30usd promo codes bringing the $179 polycarbinate unit down to $149usd with free shipping. Worth taking a chance of possibly not getting dutied at border. My wife declared a $500 purse a few months back and they didnt duty us.
Dec 13, 2006
304 posts
119 upvotes
Vancouver
Drakestar wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 5:14 pm
Why would you ask this? It is a legit deal just for the fact that it is now available in Canada. I have an Anova, but when it dies I'll probably give the Joule a try.

OP sounds like a sales pitch i have posted lots of threads and have never gone that much into a pitch for a %9 discount. ,
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2462 posts
506 upvotes
Toronto
meatwagon wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 11:18 pm
OP sounds like a sales pitch i have posted lots of threads and have never gone that much into a pitch for a %9 discount. ,
I didn't realize copying and pasting from an e-mail would be interpreted as a sales pitch...
Joule.png
Dec 13, 2006
304 posts
119 upvotes
Vancouver
rebel_rfd wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 11:42 pm
I didn't realize copying and pasting from an e-mail would be interpreted as a sales pitch...

Joule.png
my apologies, I honestly thought you typed it out and formatted it. So i read it as if it were coming from you directly. Something didnt add up, but this makes more sense. now. My bad.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2011
2325 posts
784 upvotes
dracolnyte wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 1:34 pm
be cautious, you can still overcook with a sous vide
https://www.reddit.com/r/sousvide/comme ... ercooking/
You can overcook with anything if you set it to the wrong temp (which the OP in this reddit did) and finish it for too long at too low of a temp (which the OP in the reddit also did). If you don't use the proper settings and technique it will not work out well regardless of the tools you use.
The time forgiveness with SV is based upon using the correct temp settings to begin with. The main benefit for the everyday Joe using SV is that I can cook my steak in SV set @ 129F for 50 minutes, 1 hour, 1 hour 30 minutes, 2 hours and have minimal change in finished product. Can't do that with any other method available to the home cook.
Just picked up an Eye of Round that I am going to do this weekend for a 30 hour cook.