Careers

Chemical engineering is a very bad option in Ontario.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2017 2:13 am
Nov 21, 2016
91 posts
78 upvotes
Yes if he had taken that 50k / year job at silicon valley he would be basically volunteering for experience. (Honestly not a bad idea). Silicon valley has one of the highest cost of living in the world.

Corporations view graduates the same way a farmer views animals: something to fatten up and feed off; a utilitarian and amoral approach.

If it serves them to build up you up, they will build you up, if it serves them to tear you down, they tear you down. To them you are a resource, nothing more, nothing less.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
405 upvotes
Concord, ON
engnr40 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2017 12:00 am
Hang in there OP. I am a civil engineering graduate in Ontario and the job market is not good for civil either. I went to a middle-tier University in Ontario and have about 3 years of Canadian work experience. The job market is extremely saturated and the Canadian grads have to compete with foreign engineers with decades of experience. I think Canada should really help out the Canadian engineering graduates and make Canadian grads the number one priority. I read in the news that Canada wants to bring in 300,000 immigrants next year. At least 80% of these immigrants will have to settle for menial jobs. First of all, I think they should restrict the engineering enrollment in Canadian Universities and only graduate a "specific" amount of students. Secondly, they should make co-op programs mandatory in every engineering program at every University. Thirdly, they need to revamp the immigration system so that Canadian grads do not suffer. It makes me depressed knowing that some of my University friends who even completed theirs Masters degree in Canada couldn't find a job while at the same time I know foreign trained engineers working as senior engineering managers.......The only thing keeping me motivated right now is Ontario's 160 Billion dollar infrastructure plan for the next 12 years. It should create tons of civil jobs.
Your problem is going to a mid tier school for engineering

Why did you do that?
May 18, 2015
860 posts
178 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
engnr40 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2017 12:00 am
Hang in there OP. I am a civil engineering graduate in Ontario and the job market is not good for civil either. I went to a middle-tier University in Ontario and have about 3 years of Canadian work experience. The job market is extremely saturated and the Canadian grads have to compete with foreign engineers with decades of experience. I think Canada should really help out the Canadian engineering graduates and make Canadian grads the number one priority. I read in the news that Canada wants to bring in 300,000 immigrants next year. At least 80% of these immigrants will have to settle for menial jobs. First of all, I think they should restrict the engineering enrollment in Canadian Universities and only graduate a "specific" amount of students. Secondly, they should make co-op programs mandatory in every engineering program at every University. Thirdly, they need to revamp the immigration system so that Canadian grads do not suffer. It makes me depressed knowing that some of my University friends who even completed theirs Masters degree in Canada couldn't find a job while at the same time I know foreign trained engineers working as senior engineering managers.......The only thing keeping me motivated right now is Ontario's 160 Billion dollar infrastructure plan for the next 12 years. It should create tons of civil jobs.
As a civil myself I would say the job market is only tough in the GTA area. I dont know anyone who hasnt found work in Ottawa
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
11025 posts
837 upvotes
I know there are not too many supporters of Mark77 threads, but some who have not come across his threads may want to catch up on the climate for much of the engineering joblessness in the Canada. I too do not see any real improvement for much of the new Canadian graduates.
May 8, 2015
48 posts
21 upvotes
All over the place
Sorry to hear about your troubles, OP. I have a friend who is a chem engineer and is unemployed currently. Worst part is she has been unemployed for over a year and a half WITH experience. Granted, no two people are the same with regards to their situations but it's still worth mentioning.

While you did have some offers initially and they may not have been ideal, in this type of climate you've got to take whatever comes your way. Especially at the beginning. I'm referring to your offers in Canada. I hope something comes along soon. And this time jump on it, whatever it may be (or where-ever).

Unfortunately, this is the reality we live in today. Gone are the days of where a university degree would guarantee you a well-paid job. I've said it for years; university degrees with the exception of the medical field, are extremely overrated. People still buy into the "prestige" and "reputation" of this hyperbole.

Good luck to you, OP!
Jul 7, 2013
606 posts
211 upvotes
North York
Civil myself. Not too bad in gta here but I think it comes down to your coop and your skills. I can see the infrastructure stimulus plan definitely helping this industry with tons of transportation and municipal infrastructure projects and proposals but it not here to last. Better to make the best out of this while it's here.
Grad from uoft 2015
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2013
5268 posts
1300 upvotes
Toronto
so kid finished his degree.. expects to be in work force in the same year making $100,000??

The reality is, it can take time to get into a career role. you gotta build those connections.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2008 posts
214 upvotes
mrwally wrote:
Dec 31st, 2016 9:35 pm
I was feeling sympathy for you up to this point.

I graduated from chemical engineering as well...granted I'm a gen X'er so it was a while ago, but do you know how many people I knew at school that turned down a job offer when they graduated (assuming they only had one offer)? ZERO! We took the first thing that came our way. Getting that first job is the tough one, you can be picky about staying in the GTA after you have a few years under your belt. And you would compare $40-50k USD with a third world country? Seriously? You live with a roommate or something if you aren't making enough for that 4 bedroom house in Toronto and the beamer that you grew up with.

My first job was in a lab as a quality control tech... Nothing to do with engineering. But I never would have dreamed of saying No and wait for that big money and private office offer.
Agreed. What do you expect as your first salary for your first job after graduating? You were offered an entry level position as you were an entry level candidate. Turn that down at your peril. I've worked for peanuts before while accumulating experience and making contacts early in my career. I had top 10 international university experience on my resume at the time, Waterloo doesn't even register in these lists. Some peanuts are better than no peanuts at times, that's worth remembering.

Did you look internationally too? What about the growing process chemistry areas in China or India? I've had colleagues work in both countries.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
405 upvotes
Concord, ON
daivey wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2017 10:24 pm
so kid finished his degree.. expects to be in work force in the same year making $100,000??

The reality is, it can take time to get into a career role. you gotta build those connections.
People are incredibly entitled these days and blame govt, foreigners, other generations... Everybody else but never look in mirror
Nov 21, 2016
91 posts
78 upvotes
GrandePike wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 1:26 am
People are incredibly entitled these days and blame govt, foreigners, other generations... Everybody else but never look in mirror
I agree that people are entitled.

However the government, foreigners and previous generation did kind of fk us. They fked us hard.

Look at US debt, the housing market and the economy. Our generation didn't cause those crisis. The OTHER selfish generation did. The previous generation and governement didn't give a fk about us. In fact, they screwed us for their own financial gain.

I wouldn't be suprised if some engineering
graduates are mopping floors or delivering pizza.

My friend who has 4+ years of CPA experience graduated with honors is currently working at a call centre selling furniture.

Welcome to the real world baby. Better grow a pair of balls to survive this mess we were born into.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2013
5268 posts
1300 upvotes
Toronto
GrandePike wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 1:26 am
yep.
the only reason I posed in this thread is because my sister finished chemical engineering from uoft. For the first year, she worked in an unrelated job... super unrelated and bullshit work making like just over minimum wage.. all while applying and trying to network through her friends. finally, at a career fair, she got an interview and got into a company where she was able to get some more experience... After a year, she was laid off. through networking with her friend, she was able to get a full time position at another job utilizing her education as well.. this was just a job to pay the bills as she hated it there and it was far away. In the meantime, applying for jobs.

she finally landed a job, shes been with this company for 2 years now, which is better pay than the last two, and more of a long term career position.

I don't know if entitled is the word, but I mean OP has barely done anything, just graduated, and is complaining how it's so bleak out there. yeah shit sucks it's true and sometimes you get bad luck... but I think OP is being silly.. I mean if this is 5 years afte rhe graduated and still looking for work... I would say it's more on him than anything else..
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2013
5268 posts
1300 upvotes
Toronto
User699930 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 12:26 pm
I agree that people are entitled.

However the government, foreigners and previous generation did kind of fk us. They fked us hard.

Look at US debt, the housing market and the economy. Our generation didn't cause those crisis. The OTHER selfish generation did. The previous generation and governement didn't give a fk about us. In fact, they screwed us for their own financial gain.

I wouldn't be suprised if some engineering
graduates are mopping floors or delivering pizza.

My friend who has 4+ years of CPA experience graduated with honors is currently working at a call centre selling furniture.

Welcome to the real world baby. Better grow a pair of balls to survive this mess we were born into.
and?? just because he has a CPA he should be hired? what job experience does he have? how well does he speak English? has he ever worked on a team before? So I mean there are so many variables. It's easier to blame other people than looking inwards at your failings.
Feb 17, 2014
117 posts
9 upvotes
KANATA
Our company were having trouble hiring EIT (electrical engineer). A lot new grads were hesitant about the job since nobody wants to move outside the GTA.

The location is 45mins outside of Ottawa in butt fxxk nowhere but for the experience and pay I am surprise to hear new grads are not jumping ship to take the offer.

Starting salary for new grad was approx, $60k+.....
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2002
1927 posts
64 upvotes
PeterWIlliams wrote:
Jan 1st, 2017 8:44 am
I don't think you understand Silicon Valley.

$130k is borderline poverty level.

Rent in that area is 3-4k minimum for one bedroom, no kitchen.
LOL, not true at all. You can definitely get a decent place (not shared) for 2.5K/m (check zillow/trulia). At 130k, that's ~7K take home per month. It's certainly not "borderline poverty level"

Obviously, one's option is limited at 50K. Most likely it's going to be a room in a shared house/apartment.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel