Careers

Chemical engineering is a very bad option in Ontario.

Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
3941 posts
1234 upvotes
daivey wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2017 10:24 pm
so kid finished his degree.. expects to be in work force in the same year making $100,000??

The reality is, it can take time to get into a career role. you gotta build those connections.
Who said anything about 100$k/yr ? CORRECTION: kid graduated near top from an engineering program at a top uni in canada, and not getting offers that are 50-60kCAD/yr in Ontario.
GrandePike wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 1:26 am
People are incredibly entitled these days and blame govt, foreigners, other generations... Everybody else but never look in mirror
look in the mirror? I see a grad with top grades at a top school in a non BS program, getting offers to work at 30-35k CAD/yr in the GTA. Talk about entitlement!
We're not talking about a political science grad with no work experience. This is ENTITLEMENT : i.e. https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/0 ... ching.html
NOT OP.

Soon, people will call doctors 'entitled' because they want to earn a respectable salary for the work they put in.

Oh wait, that's happening right now in Ontario.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 16, 2012
2991 posts
287 upvotes
Mississauga
I think that everyone's experience is different in terms of finding decent employment, id say that certain industries have had been impacted by various economic factors like the drop in oil prices, i think that have expectations of finding employment right away is not always the case. I think a lot of new grads need to realize that the job market is very competitive and you need to hustle.
Jr. Member
Feb 17, 2014
131 posts
13 upvotes
KANATA
There are just too many competitions out there with hundreds of EITs flooding the market every year with limited jobs available in Canada. Plus locals have to complete with foreign engineers for positions too.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 15, 2014
652 posts
101 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Yeah, I don't understand the logic of working minimum wage retail positions instead of entry-level under-paid positions in your field.
Turning down an offer from "the big electric car manufacturer" (read: Tesla?!) was a bad move, IMO.

You need to think not just about what this first job will do for you.. but what doors it will open as well. Getting your dream job right out of uni doesn't really happen all that often.. and holding out for it does you no favours.
Zoomer wireless customer. 400 Canada-wide minutes, 2GB data for $36/mo!
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
407 upvotes
Concord, ON
mathiewannabe wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 2:03 pm
Who said anything about 100$k/yr ? CORRECTION: kid graduated near top from an engineering program at a top uni in canada, and not getting offers that are 50-60kCAD/yr in Ontario.



look in the mirror? I see a grad with top grades at a top school in a non BS program, getting offers to work at 30-35k CAD/yr in the GTA. Talk about entitlement!
We're not talking about a political science grad with no work experience. This is ENTITLEMENT : i.e. https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/0 ... ching.html
NOT OP.

Soon, people will call doctors 'entitled' because they want to earn a respectable salary for the work they put in.

Oh wait, that's happening right now in Ontario.
Huh? You're spreading the entitlement

Just because went to school means a job straight out of school in their field paying 70k?

Just because one went to a good school and got good grades doesn't make them a good hire... That's why there's such things as interviews

So you need to look in the mirror for sure...And to keep your entitlement in check

Lol...Just cause went to school means you should be handed a job lol

Tell me...What's point of interview if all that's considered is school/program/grades? ...Wow super entitlement indeed.. Moreover...Just graduated this year ...

I've interviewed plenty of top candidates based in grades/school and after interview.. I wouldn't hire some of them to bring me coffee
Newbie
Dec 30, 2012
5 posts
1 upvote
I think nowadays you need network to get a job.

But we can not blame only whites. I know a lot of immigrants who are doing the same.

Just a few examples:
One of my uncle who is branch manager called another branch manager and let her know that they should hire a certain girl who had no experience etc. We later found out that she was dating his son.

Do you know how medical students get their residency seats. Only network!
If the program director is an Asian, then the most medical residents will be Asian.
If the program director is an Indian, then the most medical residents will be Indian.
If the program director is an Arabic, then the most medical residents will be Arabic.

And most of the medical residency seat (specialist) are already given internally to other physicians kids (because most of the immigrated specialists here in Toronto know each other).

So we can not only tell that whites are racist. What about the immigrant who hires their own kind? Is that not racist?

That is the reality but we cannot change it. It will only get worst in the future.
Sr. Member
Feb 14, 2016
836 posts
250 upvotes
amayaa wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 4:12 pm
I think nowadays you need network to get a job.

But we can not blame only whites. I know a lot of immigrants who are doing the same.

Just a few examples:
One of my uncle who is branch manager called another branch manager and let her know that they should hire a certain girl who had no experience etc. We later found out that she was dating his son.

Do you know how medical students get their residency seats. Only network!
If the program director is an Asian, then the most medical residents will be Asian.
If the program director is an Indian, then the most medical residents will be Indian.
If the program director is an Arabic, then the most medical residents will be Arabic.

And most of the medical residency seat (specialist) are already given internally to other physicians kids (because most of the immigrated specialists here in Toronto know each other).

So we can not only tell that whites are racist. What about the immigrant who hires their own kind? Is that not racist?

That is the reality but we cannot change it. It will only get worst in the future.
I think you are misusing the term "racist"

Like attract Like and there is tendency of people who prefer others that they already know or familiar with to avoid risk associated with new people
People hire people who are similar to them

Lets say there is a random person and your siblings; who do you want to be with or work with ? obviously your sibling because you are more comfortable with them; thats not racist, its called preferences, and that's human nature, it has nothing to do with race, hence you can't say its a race thing; you can even observe them in animal worlds

Like attract like, thats why networking is so important nowadays
People will prefer people who have previous history with them or are similar to them etc,
This "preference" existed since forever, it has been like that and it will continue to be this way forever.

So to sum up, people hire someone who are similar to them, not because they are racist against others but because its natural instinct that they prefer people who are similar
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
3941 posts
1234 upvotes
GrandePike wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 3:07 pm
Huh? You're spreading the entitlement

Just because went to school means a job straight out of school in their field paying 70k?

Just because one went to a good school and got good grades doesn't make them a good hire... That's why there's such things as interviews

So you need to look in the mirror for sure...And to keep your entitlement in check

Lol...Just cause went to school means you should be handed a job lol

Tell me...What's point of interview if all that's considered is school/program/grades? ...Wow super entitlement indeed.. Moreover...Just graduated this year ...

I've interviewed plenty of top candidates based in grades/school and after interview.. I wouldn't hire some of them to bring me coffee
I typed in 50-60k cad /yr and you read it as 70k?

i stated MEDIAN new grad salary, which would be 50-60k. For a person like him, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect a median starting salary of new grads.

Interviews are BS at most companies, and we all know it. yeah, answering those 'behavioral' questions well is so indicative of a candidate's success.

For OP, it's going to be much better for him to look for further education in a more demanding field with his intelligence and work ethic than to accept a sh!t salary job at 35k cad/yr.
Sadly, it is true that chem eng. is a tough field in terms of jobs so he should've switched, but hindsight is 20/20.

If OP wasn't a top grad from Eng/Math/Compsci at schools like UWaterloo and UToronto, and few business programs like ivey,queens com, ut rotman , i wouldn't have so much sympathy.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
407 upvotes
Concord, ON
mathiewannabe wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 4:47 pm
I typed in 50-60k cad /yr and you read it as 70k?

i stated MEDIAN new grad salary, which would be 50-60k. For a person like him, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect a median starting salary of new grads.

Interviews are BS at most companies, and we all know it. yeah, answering those 'behavioral' questions well is so indicative of a candidate's success.

For OP, it's going to be much better for him to look for further education in a more demanding field with his intelligence and work ethic than to accept a sh!t salary job at 35k cad/yr.
Sadly, it is true that chem eng. is a tough field in terms of jobs so he should've switched, but hindsight is 20/20.

If OP wasn't a top grad from Eng/Math/Compsci at schools like UWaterloo and UToronto, and few business programs like ivey,queens com, ut rotman , i wouldn't have so much sympathy.
Wow...Talk about entitlement...Interview is BS...For fresh grads who haven't proven anything lol

Achievements in a class is quite meaningless in real world .. That's why there's interviews to help determine personality traits and understand more weakened/strengths and fit

Grades aren't meaningful without other considerations

So I guess you think Google, Microsoft etc all are bogus for doing interviews when their applicants are all from top schools with good grades?

Lol

Wow

So If you say median for new grads is 50-60k (I would agree )...Why is op not getting a job? Because those hired were better candidates? Or what? Lol
Jr. Member
Jul 15, 2009
155 posts
55 upvotes
Calgary
Nice troll thread, funny to see it grows to 4 pages. Before it morphed into "people are entitled" thread (oops, too late....), here's some advice for new grads:
1. Graduated from top school ≠ good job&pay
2. Graduated from top program ≠ good job&pay
3. Graduated from top of the class ≠ good job&pay

Chemical engineering (or any engineering programs) lacks jobs prosperity because 99% of the people are not looking at the right place and/or not properly prepared to take the interview or position.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
3941 posts
1234 upvotes
GrandePike wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 6:37 pm
So I guess you think Google, Microsoft etc all are bogus for doing interviews when their applicants are all from top schools with good grades?

Lol

Wow

So If you say median for new grads is 50-60k (I would agree )...Why is op not getting a job? Because those hired were better candidates? Or what? Lol
I should have clarified further. There are two types of questions - Behavioural and Technical. I was specifically talking about behavioural question, and that's exactly why I quoted it in previous post as 'behavioural' questions. We all know those are BS questions, and at most places, it's almost all behavioural questions due to the nature of those jobs. i.e. 'why do you want to work here?' , 'when was the first time time you...' ,etc etc .
Answer with some fluff, exaggerate on what you've done, no biggie, etc.


Now, funny you mention google and microsoft . Ones who have rigorous technical interviews for their candidates, not BS questions that expects a fluffy BS answer. BUT most companies, and certainly the majority of the companies are not like Google or Microsoft or Uber or other big tech companies in the US.

2.
Why..? Maybe, it's because Chemical engineering is a very bad option in Ontario like OP says.
What chem. eng field seems to be is that it has the rigour of an engineering program, and job prospects of an arts graduate.

If he can get 3.9 in chem eng at UW, he can get 3.9 in an MBA easy. do that, get a couple of co-ops and work at corporate in Toronto because those are the jobs that pay $$ in TO even though they may or may not add any value to the company and just adds waste to its bureaucracy.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2067 posts
237 upvotes
Sometimes interviews are the only option to discriminate between applicants due to rampant grade inflation. That and the fact that many resumes all start to look the same.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 4, 2009
3553 posts
433 upvotes
Aurora
ironbrah wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 11:10 pm
nepotism is rife in job market.
Always has been...always will be...
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 16, 2012
2991 posts
287 upvotes
Mississauga
if your not working/volunteering or working on projects that keep your skills sharp, take the 35k job so at least you are keeping yourself busy, if someone has been looking for more then year and half and there field is not super specific companies start to question there work ethic simple as that. I think taking entry level job even if the pay is not what you is expected shows those willing to hire you, your ability to flexible. However if your attitude I am waiting for that perfect 65k opportunity, the chances will become less and less the longer you wait.

Top