• Apr 29th, 2013 2:51 am
Tags:
None
Jun 6, 2011
396 posts
27 upvotes
Markham

Cheque Tracing- How Many Years Can A Bank Provide a Cancelled Cheque

I wrote a Cheque about 15 years ago for a large sum of money, now with the death of a family member I want to find a cancelled cheque from my bank. Can they retrieve it? The bank in question is BMO, need an answer if anyone has one.
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
794 upvotes
North York
I tried to trace a RRSP redemption at RBC that was 15 years old. I wanted proof it was done. I had the RRSP redemption date and receipt.

They couldn't give me a printout of the bank account statement with the deposit. A request was put in, but it came back rejected the next day.

Luckily, I later located the bank statement and confirmed for myself the deposit was made. (My particular bank account has been active through the time.)

OP is best to go to a BMO branch with account number, cheque number, amount, payee name - and ask a teller.

Keep in mind, the banks over this period of time, might of migrated to other archiving systems - so the data then might not actually very easy to get at.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
Busybuyer888 wrote: I tried to trace a RRSP redemption at RBC that was 15 years old. I wanted proof it was done. I had the RRSP redemption date and receipt.

They couldn't give me a printout of the bank account statement with the deposit. A request was put in, but it came back rejected the next day.

Luckily, I later located the bank statement and confirmed for myself the deposit was made. (My particular bank account has been active through the time.)

OP is best to go to a BMO branch with account number, cheque number, amount, payee name - and ask a teller.

Keep in mind, the banks over this period of time, might of migrated to other archiving systems - so the data then might not actually very easy to get at.
i think they records for 8 years ( might be 10).
Oct 5, 2010
610 posts
933 upvotes
Nope the cheque has been shredded they only store them for 7 years.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)