Hot Deals

[Chevrolet] Hot? 2017 Chevy Volt LT $31,415 OTR after incentives (Ont)

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2017 4:48 pm
Jul 9, 2006
767 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
3ajs wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 12:06 am
Great news everyone!!! GM lease cash bonus of $1000 has been extended to the end of April. This means that the 3 year lease payments + residual buyout grand total is a few hundred less than the cash purchase price! Lease includes 20,000km per year. Talk about a sweet deal. Now you don't have to decide today whether you should lease or buy. Lease for now, and decide 3 years later whether it's worth buying out or simply return it.
I went with a lease as well, but I in my case I don't think the lease ends up being cheaper than purchasing. I'm not trading-in a vehicle so all I will get is the $1000 GM lease cashback (assuming I can pick up a car by end of April) and the GM Visa $500 credit (unfortunately, I didn't make it to the auto show so no additional $750 credit either).

With a 3-year lease, the residual is $16,136.25. But if I wanted to buy out the car, I'd still have to pay 13% HST ($2097.71) on top of that. Plus it will cost at least $100 to certify the car, and the dealer might charge ~$400 to do the purchasing paperwork.

So in my case, it'll cost somewhere around $2k-$3k more (all-in) to lease for 3 years and then buy-out the car.

But given how quickly EV tech is evolving, I don't think I'll be keeping the Volt for more than 3 years anyway. This is also my first GM car (I've always owned VAG) so I'm not sure whether I'm going to love the car enough to keep it for 10 years. So the lease still makes sense for me.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2004
1919 posts
34 upvotes
Ktichener, ON
How people getting $1K GM lease cash back ?
I am very seriously thinking about leasing it; due such a fluid technology (battery/Electric)
Also can people share what is their Out to door (ON) $$$?
Thanks
Mir :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7595 posts
1029 upvotes
who_ca wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 10:22 pm
I went with a lease as well, but I in my case I don't think the lease ends up being cheaper than purchasing. I'm not trading-in a vehicle so all I will get is the $1000 GM lease cashback (assuming I can pick up a car by end of April) and the GM Visa $500 credit (unfortunately, I didn't make it to the auto show so no additional $750 credit either).

With a 3-year lease, the residual is $16,136.25. But if I wanted to buy out the car, I'd still have to pay 13% HST ($2097.71) on top of that. Plus it will cost at least $100 to certify the car, and the dealer might charge ~$400 to do the purchasing paperwork.

So in my case, it'll cost somewhere around $2k-$3k more (all-in) to lease for 3 years and then buy-out the car.

But given how quickly EV tech is evolving, I don't think I'll be keeping the Volt for more than 3 years anyway. This is also my first GM car (I've always owned VAG) so I'm not sure whether I'm going to love the car enough to keep it for 10 years. So the lease still makes sense for me.
Tech is changing yes - I don't see battery tech changing that much yet but big changes are coming from what I have read. Probably more than 3 years.

Leasing is a great way to try the technology and see how you like it. I personally may lease one in the fall also, my only worry is it's not big enough.
Sep 30, 2011
606 posts
157 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
jayoldschool wrote:
Apr 9th, 2017 6:59 pm
Re: engine running when it's cold (ERDTT- engine running due to temp). You can actually set it for cold or very cold. Or, you can plug in an adapter, and avoid it coming on at all. Lots of info on gm-volt.com forums.
Can you fully control when the engine start, e.g. I can pre condition car at grid power, and after 10km in cold I switch on engine.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
3619 posts
1134 upvotes
BC / GVA
Used Volts are selling for $35,000 in BC. People in Ontario can buy a Volt, use it for a 2-3 years then sell it in BC and still profit.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Aug 5, 2007
310 posts
42 upvotes
In the winter with ERDTT, how much gas does the Volt use?
Sep 4, 2006
355 posts
50 upvotes
hitek, the answer is it depends on how cold it is, and what setting you have it on. Not very much is the "approx" answer.

napoleon, you need to be on 240 to pre-condition, then you could switch to gas after 10km if you wanted. It will switch earlier if needed.

They did a good (actually great) job of engineering things. The transition between modes, etc, etc. Just let it do what it wants, and you'll be happy.
Jul 9, 2006
767 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
kool1 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 8:30 am
Leasing is a great way to try the technology and see how you like it. I personally may lease one in the fall also, my only worry is it's not big enough.
I'm moving from a Golf wagon so the Volt most-definitely will be a tight squeeze. Especially given my roof box will not likely work with the hatch (Thule Ascent 1700).

I will purchase a Yakima rack that works with the Volt along with a shorter roof box and live with some hatch obstruction.
May 24, 2010
63 posts
26 upvotes
I just purchased the Volt in Montreal. Best experience I ever had with a dealership. Just walked in, said my price and the dealer beat it and I was out in less than 30 minutes at hamel.

I got it for 38600$ with an additional gift of 500$ cheque and another 500$ visa credit and the 8000$ subvention. It's not even a factory order, I'll get the car next week.

I emailed to @3ajs the details of my offer if anybody wants them.
Dec 28, 2004
653 posts
58 upvotes
Montreal
kevmeg wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 2:03 pm
I just purchased the Volt in Montreal. Best experience I ever had with a dealership. Just walked in, said my price and the dealer beat it and I was out in less than 30 minutes at hamel.

I got it for 38600$ with an additional gift of 500$ cheque and another 500$ visa credit and the 8000$ subvention. It's not even a factory order, I'll get the car next week.

I emailed to @3ajs the details of my offer if anybody wants them.
is that price before or after taxes ? can u do a brake down of the price, merci !
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
2862 posts
418 upvotes
GTA
Do you have to live in a house to buy one of these? I saw a plug for electric cars about 2KM away from me so it seems pretty insane to have to leave the car there for charging. Is there some new solution?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2004
1919 posts
34 upvotes
Ktichener, ON
Are they hard to get it ????
When I click on search inventory Volt is not even in the list.
Yes I am looking KW (Kitchener and Waterloo area)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
6598 posts
86 upvotes
Port Moody
Kkhan15 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 10:21 am
Do we really save by getting electric over gas considering the cost of hydro? Also the cost for what you get on these cars are ridiculous.
One does by owning the car for longer periods than average, expect savings to be large in 5+ yr range
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2006
7264 posts
1361 upvotes
Richmond Hill
hitek0007 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 10:51 am
In the winter with ERDTT, how much gas does the Volt use?
It's horrible imo. For short drives it's unnecessary and with the engine running it's just burning gas for nothing as it hasn't even reached operating temp yet. GM should have left it to the driver as to whether they want the engine running to supplement heat or not.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2004
5470 posts
118 upvotes
dealseaker101 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 10:42 am
Used Volts are selling for $35,000 in BC. People in Ontario can buy a Volt, use it for a 2-3 years then sell it in BC and still profit.
Are you sure? BC government is offering $5k off and another $6k to scrap an old car which will bring a brand new LT under $35K
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel