Hot Deals

[Chevrolet] Hot? 2017 Chevy Volt LT $31,415 OTR after incentives (Ont)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2017 8:39 pm
Jun 12, 2016
124 posts
48 upvotes
Mississauga
jarko wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 2:43 pm
Do you have to live in a house to buy one of these? I saw a plug for electric cars about 2KM away from me so it seems pretty insane to have to leave the car there for charging. Is there some new solution?
if you live in a condo, check with the building manager to see if they have a standard 120V plug near the parking area. Some underground parking might have dedicated LVL 2 chargers pre-installed or just a basic 120V plug for you to charge overnight. Otherwise, it would be a BIG adjustment to your lifestyle to charge elsewhere while you do your errands to gain some range in your EV.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
3937 posts
1759 upvotes
Kitchener
LauD14 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 9:38 am
if you live in a condo, check with the building manager to see if they have a standard 120V plug near the parking area. Some underground parking might have dedicated LVL 2 chargers pre-installed or just a basic 120V plug for you to charge overnight. Otherwise, it would be a BIG adjustment to your lifestyle to charge elsewhere while you do your errands to gain some range in your EV.
My brother in law just looked into getting a Ford Focus electric a month ago to save money, but his condo management said $45k to install a L2 charger for him..........he went with an Escape. That being said, 120V is more than perfectly fine for a Volt, they don't charge very fast on L2 anyways because GM cheaped out on the onboard charger. Using a standard wall plug for a full electric is PROBABLY not worth the effort, I know a couple people who are doing it, but I wouldn't bother.....I drive too much to be waiting all night every day.
Jun 12, 2016
124 posts
48 upvotes
Mississauga
IntrepidRT wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 9:50 am
My brother in law just looked into getting a Ford Focus electric a month ago to save money, but his condo management said $45k to install a L2 charger for him..........he went with an Escape. That being said, 120V is more than perfectly fine for a Volt, they don't charge very fast on L2 anyways because GM cheaped out on the onboard charger. Using a standard wall plug for a full electric is PROBABLY not worth the effort, I know a couple people who are doing it, but I wouldn't bother.....I drive too much to be waiting all night every day.
Yea, if you're a long commuter I would imagine that you want L2 speed and convenience. I'm planning on getting L2 charger for my EV delivery next month but still haven't decided on which one to get. Which one do you use for your Leaf?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
3937 posts
1759 upvotes
Kitchener
LauD14 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 10:07 am
Yea, if you're a long commuter I would imagine that you want L2 speed and convenience. I'm planning on getting L2 charger for my EV delivery next month but still haven't decided on which one to get. Which one do you use for your Leaf?
I have a commercial Sun Country SCH-40.......not sure how much different it is than a home quality charger though? My advice is no matter what to get a minimum 30A charger (40A breaker) If it requires less than a 40A breaker, move on. Generally getting a more powerful charger is quite a bit more money. You can research your own quality standards........but the charger doesn't have to be anything fancy, all of the car's on-board electronics controls charging anyways. Sun Country units are rebadged Clipper Creek which are generally well rated.

25' cord length is also nice to have. My advice is not to mount it like I did. You're better off mounting half way down the garage wall so it can reach well into the driveway. If I park my car outside at night, I have to pull up very close to the garage door so the cord reaches.

This is mine
Jun 12, 2016
124 posts
48 upvotes
Mississauga
thanks! Sun Country units tend to be quite pricey compared to other decent chargers in the market (Elmec, Schnider Electric, GE) but they also don't typically come with 25' cables. Great tip with the mounting location as I was also thinking of the same when the time comes to install. For me, it's tough to justify the additional cost to add L2 charger (even with the 50% gov't grants) when I only do less than 50KM of commuting/day and can use the 120V plug for top-up charging overnight during the week. I have a second ICE vehicle for longer trips, but do plan on driving the EV (FFE) as much has possible to run errands on weekends.
Dec 9, 2007
157 posts
15 upvotes
IntrepidRT wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 10:12 am
I have a commercial Sun Country SCH-40.......not sure how much different it is than a home quality charger though? My advice is no matter what to get a minimum 30A charger (40A breaker) If it requires less than a 40A breaker, move on. Generally getting a more powerful charger is quite a bit more money. You can research your own quality standards........but the charger doesn't have to be anything fancy, all of the car's on-board electronics controls charging anyways. Sun Country units are rebadged Clipper Creek which are generally well rated.

25' cord length is also nice to have. My advice is not to mount it like I did. You're better off mounting half way down the garage wall so it can reach well into the driveway. If I park my car outside at night, I have to pull up very close to the garage door so the cord reaches.

This is mine
What's your suggestion for someone with a single car garage that is too full to park a car in it? Should the charging unit be mounted on the outside of the garage? I'm thinking of having one installed outside at the side of the garage but I don't know if this will cause complications.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
3937 posts
1759 upvotes
Kitchener
flair.14 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 10:41 am
What's your suggestion for someone with a single car garage that is too full to park a car in it? Should the charging unit be mounted on the outside of the garage? I'm thinking of having one installed outside at the side of the garage but I don't know if this will cause complications.
Install on the outside side of the garage wall near the front of the garage? (probably don't want the unit mounted directly on the front of your house. Most of these units are weatherproof. Get one with a 25' cord. Probably going to have to go with hardwired rather than plug in because it's mounted outside.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
3937 posts
1759 upvotes
Kitchener
LauD14 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 10:33 am
thanks! Sun Country units tend to be quite pricey compared to other decent chargers in the market (Elmec, Schnider Electric, GE) but they also don't typically come with 25' cables. Great tip with the mounting location as I was also thinking of the same when the time comes to install. For me, it's tough to justify the additional cost to add L2 charger (even with the 50% gov't grants) when I only do less than 50KM of commuting/day and can use the 120V plug for top-up charging overnight during the week. I have a second ICE vehicle for longer trips, but do plan on driving the EV (FFE) as much has possible to run errands on weekends.
I would just get the L2.......the government 50% incentive makes it well worth it........and you won't get 50% off later if you actually decide to do it a year or two down the road.

There are "EV Duty" Canadian made units too (I think they're a bit cheaper in the $700 range).
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2004
1919 posts
34 upvotes
Ktichener, ON
I can't seems to find in Kitchener area ?
Jan 23, 2008
764 posts
233 upvotes
Mir wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 7:02 pm
I can't seems to find in Kitchener area ?
I had signed onto a lease a few weeks back saying they can dealer transfer-- but was told a few days after that they couldn't find ANY Volt in stock anywhere in Ontario. So now I'm waiting for a 6-8week factory order. I'm still waiting now.

The fine print on my $750 autoshow credit says it's valid as long as I signed prior to April 30, but it's just crummy that they told me that the promise for my $1k lease cash isn't guaranteed as it's all on GM's offers for that month. Apparently lease isn't as fixed as cash price/finance.

I'm a bit annoyed about that, but I had already signed (too fast, too excited lol), so it's my loss.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
2470 posts
964 upvotes
I have been loaned a Demo 2017 Volt for a few weeks now with intent to purchase said demo. The car has a rattle in the rear hatch and a slight air leak from the front passenger side window. Now I noticed this week that I had several oil stains in my driveway. After work I looked under and saw the oil pan was glossy wet and with a finger touch revealed oil leak. Seriously the car just has a little over 5000kms. Dealer is coming to swap it with another Volt demo at my work tomorrow. My first GM was a brand new 2006 GMC Envoy SLT with all the bells and whistles. Was completely problem free for 4 years and sold it. It never had any warranty work done. Is this what GM is today? How can the oil pan be leaking from the factory. Usually its some dimwit at the dealer or oil lube place that over tightens the drain plug or doesn't change the copper drain plug gasket. The Volt doesn't get it first oil change until much later per recommended maintenance guide.

The next demo they bring tomorrow better be better than perfect or I am passing on the VOLT. There's your sign Buddy!

Oil Leaks on New Volts not uncommon!

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php ... T-oil-leak

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php ... t=oil+leak.
May 23, 2014
536 posts
251 upvotes
champ91 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 2:16 am
Are you sure? BC government is offering $5k off and another $6k to scrap an old car which will bring a brand new LT under $35K

So if I buy a minivan or some other used old car right now for $2000 and decide to buy an ev a few months from now the bc gov will give me $6k for it?
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
23186 posts
4837 upvotes
GTHA
thesick wrote:
May 5th, 2017 10:32 am
So if I buy a minivan or some other used old car right now for $2000 and decide to buy an ev a few months from now the bc gov will give me $6k for it?
Must have insurance for 6 months to qualify.

"All applicants must be able to provide evidence from ICBC that they have had continuous driving insurance (not including storage) on their vehicle, as the registered owner(s), for the 6 month period from the date they apply to the program, backwards."
from https://scrapit.ca/apply/doesmyoldcarqualify/

All 500 $6,000 incentive has been claimed in 2017.
from https://scrapit.ca/incentivechoices/
Mar 4, 2009
318 posts
57 upvotes
Ottawa
I spoke with a dealer in Ottawa yesterday. He said there are a few Volts in the area, but at this point they're unable to order new ones as the 2018 models will be coming out soon (perhaps August, according to one site: http://www.carsdirect.com/2018/chevrolet/volt). Before deciding on the Volt I'm waiting to test drive the Hyundai Ioniq, but now with a new Volt only a few months ago that will be another factor to consider...

Anybody know what, if any, deals have carried over to May?
Jul 9, 2006
770 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
cdwalkman wrote:
May 5th, 2017 10:50 am
I spoke with a dealer in Ottawa yesterday. He said there are a few Volts in the area, but at this point they're unable to order new ones as the 2018 models will be coming out soon (perhaps August, according to one site: http://www.carsdirect.com/2018/chevrolet/volt). Before deciding on the Volt I'm waiting to test drive the Hyundai Ioniq, but now with a new Volt only a few months ago that will be another factor to consider...

Anybody know what, if any, deals have carried over to May?
Here are the incentives and expiry dates that I see noted from carcostcanada (they should be updating the incentive information soon):

GM Lease Cash Bonus - Request the details from your dealer. $1,000.00 01/05/2017
GM Scotiabank Visa Card Discontinued Brand Application Bonus - Request the details from your dealer. $1,000.00 31/05/2017
GM Scotiabank Visa Card Application Bonus - Request the details from your dealer. $1,000.00 31/05/2017
GM Auto Show Bonus Program (See Important Information) - Request the details from your dealer. $500.00 30/06/2017
GM Welcome To Canada Bonus Program - Request the details from your dealer. $1,000.00 02/01/2018

I'm hoping that the $1000 lease bonus comes back. I will likely be taking delivery of my car (factory order) sometime in June.