Hot Deals

[Chevrolet] Hot? 2017 Chevy Volt LT $31,415 OTR after incentives (Ont)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2017 12:21 pm
Sep 30, 2011
687 posts
169 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Test drive the volt, little too heavy for a small car like that, not impressed by the acceleration either. I guess if you want to solve too many problem in one shot, nothing get fixed right.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4213 posts
2070 upvotes
Kitchener
napoleonbot wrote:
May 5th, 2017 1:22 pm
Test drive the volt, little too heavy for a small car like that, not impressed by the acceleration either. I guess if you want to solve too many problem in one shot, nothing get fixed right.
You actually think it's slow? what are you coming from? 0-100 km/h is 7.1 seconds, faster than most cars or SUV's (under $30k the only one I can really think of off the top of my head is a Mustang?). The 0-50 km/h is even better than that number would suggest - lots of off the line torque.

My Leaf is no slouch - lots of off the line torque.......0-100 km/h times are unimpressive, but 0-50 km/h times are pretty good. The 2nd generation Volt is quite a bit faster than the 1st gen.
Sep 30, 2011
687 posts
169 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
IntrepidRT wrote:
May 5th, 2017 1:26 pm
You actually think it's slow? what are you coming from? 0-100 km/h is 7.1 seconds, faster than most cars or SUV's (under $30k the only one I can really think of off the top of my head is a Mustang?). The 0-50 km/h is even better than that number would suggest - lots of off the line torque.

My Leaf is no slouch - lots of off the line torque.......0-100 km/h times are unimpressive, but 0-50 km/h times are pretty good. The 2nd generation Volt is quite a bit faster than the 1st gen.
not slow, it has good response btw 50-80, which is what needed; but during start off, turn and brake you can clearly feel it is heavier than typical small car, like you are towing a fridge.
I am not sure what heavy body and low-resistant tyre will do in a snowy highway driving.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4213 posts
2070 upvotes
Kitchener
napoleonbot wrote:
May 5th, 2017 1:47 pm
not slow, it has good response btw 50-80, which is what needed; but during start off, turn and brake you can clearly feel it is heavier than typical small car, like you are towing a fridge.
I am not sure what heavy body and low-resistant tyre will do in a snowy highway driving.
Well, since I have experience, I'll tell you. Electrics are AWESOME in the snow, tons of traction........no need for snow tires. I DO run snow tires, but the OEM all season Ecopias actually grip better than my used set of X-Ices.

Worst car I've ever driven in the snow was my '06 Civic, what a pile of garbage. VERY VERY scary when there was any sort of residual snow on the ground. I actually couldn't even make it up some hills with the OEM Dunlop tires. I warned my dad when he borrowed it for a day........he was VERY happy to give the keys back the next day and told me it was even worse than I had stated ;)
Last edited by IntrepidRT on May 5th, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sep 28, 2003
308 posts
25 upvotes
napoleonbot wrote:
It's heavy because of the battery but it's not slow at accelerating. You can feel the weight with the car but I kind of expect it from having a big battery. It's probably 1000 lbs heavier than a Honda Civic. The weight is low in the car though so turning feels pretty good. Did you try sport mode with it? It will deliver more power to the engine.

I also don't think you would use low-resistance tires in the winter. Put on winter tires and it's got traction. It's a bigger problem that it doesn't have a lot of ground clearance compared to other sedans.
Dec 18, 2003
479 posts
47 upvotes
never use the low resistance tires in the winter, get a good pair of winters and the volt is fine.

compare to an vw gti, my 2017 volt drive way better in the winter with proper tires.
Jul 9, 2006
807 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
IntrepidRT wrote:
May 5th, 2017 1:26 pm

I think the Volt drives quite well. It isn't as quick as my GTI but for a plug-in hybrid/EV at this price-point it compares well. It certainly drives better than a Prius or Prius prime. Curb weight, while heavy, is actually comparable to other cars in its class... batteries are heavy.

The Audi A3 e-tron is apparently quicker off the line than the Volt. I testdrove the e-tron and it has a beautiful interior. But given it's pure EV range is pretty small and I actually preferred the way the Volt drove. And this is coming from someone that has owned a number of Audis and VWs.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4213 posts
2070 upvotes
Kitchener
who_ca wrote:
May 5th, 2017 3:43 pm
The Audi A3 e-tron is apparently quicker off the line than the Volt. I testdrove the e-tron and it has a beautiful interior. But given it's pure EV range is pretty small and I actually preferred the way the Volt drove. And this is coming from someone that has owned a number of Audis and VWs.
The electric range of the e-Tron is pretty pathetic. ONLY buy if you INSIST on a VW product, otherwise there are at least half a dozen better options out there. My father in law SHOULD consider an e-Tron because he just can't buy anything other than VW.
Apr 6, 2008
353 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
napoleonbot wrote:
You mention braking, I think the heaviness you're referring to is the regenerative braking. When you initially apply the brake, a generator is actually slowing down the car until your brake force exceeds it's capabilities, at which point the regular disk brakes kick in. You can verify this because the dash will show negative energy usage when you brake.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2004
5495 posts
133 upvotes
thesick wrote:
May 5th, 2017 10:32 am
So if I buy a minivan or some other used old car right now for $2000 and decide to buy an ev a few months from now the bc gov will give me $6k for it?
you need to have had the car for at least six months and not in storage. But the scrap it program for new EVs appears to have been depleted for now. It went pretty quick since they doubled the incentive to $6K instead of $3k
Jan 7, 2017
134 posts
98 upvotes
Hamilton
napoleonbot wrote: Test drive the volt, little too heavy for a small car like that, not impressed by the acceleration either. I guess if you want to solve too many problem in one shot, nothing get fixed right.
Silly question, why all the worry about acceleration in this thread? Unless y'all are drag racing, why does the 0-60 time or acceleration off the line matter beyond anecdotal stats? If you're flooring the throttle on ICE cars, you were driving inefficiently... so why bother paying the premium for a green hybrid in the first place? You're now paying a huge premium for an electric car and throwing away the savings in fuel economy by driving like a jabroni! It just seems like cognitive dissonance to me.
Sep 30, 2011
687 posts
169 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
differing wrote:
May 6th, 2017 4:41 am
Silly question, why all the worry about acceleration in this thread? Unless y'all are drag racing, why does the 0-60 time or acceleration off the line matter beyond anecdotal stats? If you're flooring the throttle on ICE cars, you were driving inefficiently... so why bother paying the premium for a green hybrid in the first place? You're now paying a huge premium for an electric car and throwing away the savings in fuel economy by driving like a jabroni! It just seems like cognitive dissonance to me.
Well, automobile is all about motion, from day one automobile ever created, driving performance is THE topic. So don't forget why you buy a car to begin with, even a beige corolla.

In pure EV context, since acceleration of EV is always better than a comparable ICE car, so it is THE reason people buy it.
I doubt so many people pay premium is just for being green, EV save gas money, EV are hot, EVs are fast that's more convincing to me.
Jan 7, 2017
134 posts
98 upvotes
Hamilton
napoleonbot wrote:
May 6th, 2017 8:51 pm
Well, automobile is all about motion, from day one automobile ever created, driving performance is THE topic. So don't forget why you buy a car to begin with, even a beige corolla.

In pure EV context, since acceleration of EV is always better than a comparable ICE car, so it is THE reason people buy it.
I doubt so many people pay premium is just for being green, EV save gas money, EV are hot, EVs are fast that's more convincing to me.
Fair enough, if people like the novelty of an electric drive and don't care about fuel efficiency, then I totally get it. I'm just curious if people are aware that rapid acceleration of an electric car impacts range and energy consumption just like an ICE car (doubling the current to the motor quadruples the heat loss through resistance etc), because I also see a lot of discussion on range anxiety here.
Dec 18, 2003
479 posts
47 upvotes
Hopefully more and more ppl will realize that a ev is not about giving a crap about the environment or being a tree hugger ( in fact they can go chain themself to a tree when I cut it down )

But ev is about an next to slient drive with off the line acceration unmatched by any gas car in the affordable range .

Also is a much cheaper car to mantain and to opperare .
Jul 9, 2006
807 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
who_ca wrote:
May 5th, 2017 11:08 am
Here are the incentives and expiry dates that I see noted from carcostcanada (they should be updating the incentive information soon):

GM Lease Cash Bonus - Request the details from your dealer. $1,000.00 01/05/2017
GM Scotiabank Visa Card Discontinued Brand Application Bonus - Request the details from your dealer. $1,000.00 31/05/2017
GM Scotiabank Visa Card Application Bonus - Request the details from your dealer. $1,000.00 31/05/2017
GM Auto Show Bonus Program (See Important Information) - Request the details from your dealer. $500.00 30/06/2017
GM Welcome To Canada Bonus Program - Request the details from your dealer. $1,000.00 02/01/2018

I'm hoping that the $1000 lease bonus comes back. I will likely be taking delivery of my car (factory order) sometime in June.
Carcostcanada updated the incentives list and it looks like the $1000 lease cash bonus expired / wasn't renewed. Hopefully it'll return by the time I take delivery of my car...

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)