Hot Deals

[Chevrolet] Hot? 2017 Chevy Volt LT $31,415 OTR after incentives (Ont)

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2017 4:48 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
3887 posts
1715 upvotes
Kitchener
differing wrote:
May 6th, 2017 9:00 pm

Fair enough, if people like the novelty of an electric drive and don't care about fuel efficiency, then I totally get it. I'm just curious if people are aware that rapid acceleration of an electric car impacts range and energy consumption just like an ICE car (doubling the current to the motor quadruples the heat loss through resistance etc), because I also see a lot of discussion on range anxiety here.
I drive my EV a TON more aggressively than I drive my wife's hybrid. If you floor it in the hybrid, your fuel economy goes to crap, if you floor it in the EV........you pay an extra couple of pennies for electricity when you charge at night.
fallengod wrote:
May 6th, 2017 9:27 pm
Hopefully more and more ppl will realize that a ev is not about giving a crap about the environment or being a tree hugger ( in fact they can go chain themself to a tree when I cut it down )

But ev is about an next to slient drive with off the line acceration unmatched by any gas car in the affordable range .

Also is a much cheaper car to mantain and to opperare .
For me, the environment IS secondary to having a BETTER vehicle. EV's are just plain better in almost every way. The ONLY way they're not better is distance between refuels. To most of us, for most of everyone's driving, that shouldn't even matter because UNLIKE in a gasoline car, you start off with a full tank every single day. Unfortunately, the Volt is like a watered down model that's aimed towards people who just CAN'T let go of fossil fuels or are in the category of a 1 car household who like to take long road trips once a month or more. Renting a gas vehicle once a month or less is a LOT cheaper than paying for gas through the entire year.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
2453 posts
953 upvotes
Quebec Volt owners......What have electricians quoted you to install an exterior 240VAC outlet with weather proof box?

I know the outlet/box MSRPs for $80, then they have to install a new 40amp service in the fusebox with breaker then in my case route wire from back of the basement to the front of my house. Tops 2 hours of work. Note that my basement is unfinished so routing wire is easy.

I got a quote for $420 parts and labour before tax that includes mounting my 240VAC charger and cable holder on the house. Then QC gov covers $250 for installation costs.

no idea if this is the going price.
May 15, 2017
1 posts
I'm looking at the Bolt. Anyone know about availability? Anywhere in GTA to test drive one?
I'm being quoted MSRP with 3.9% 48 month lease and 16c for excess milage. full list price. and no promise of delivery - maybe end of 2017. bullshit?
Feb 25, 2007
124 posts
5 upvotes
Thornhill
I think they had two Bolt in GTA and only one left about a week ago. Someone said you can try out town and have Sept or Oct delivery but still MSRP. I got a volt instead because I drive about 60-70km per day. My is a factory order also and it will take about 8 weeks.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2014
1392 posts
107 upvotes
Hamilton
How far can it go on all electric? 85km is nothing?
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2014
1392 posts
107 upvotes
Hamilton
How expensive is maintenance on these cars?
Mar 11, 2008
131 posts
97 upvotes
London
Scherer Chevrolet in Kitchener called me yesterday to say they just received a Volt base model (+ leather) and a premier. I'm in the market to buy as soon as VW pays me for my Jetta. I know how hard it can be to find one of these on the lot so I'm sure it will be gone before I get my VW hush money... happy hunting.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
3887 posts
1715 upvotes
Kitchener
tester85 wrote:
May 16th, 2017 9:41 pm
Oil change every 2 years, never have to change brakes. Rotate tires and fill washer fluid. If you go with a full EV, say goodbye to any oil or engine maintenance as well. On my Nissan Leaf, I fill my washer fluid, I change wiper blades and I rotate tires twice a year. I just changed a wiper blade tonight with a $5 refill (pro tip, don't buy overpriced wipers from Nissan, buy refills from Honda or elsewhere and cut to size).
Sep 21, 2004
8607 posts
2174 upvotes
Calgary
differing wrote:
May 6th, 2017 9:00 pm
Fair enough, if people like the novelty of an electric drive and don't care about fuel efficiency, then I totally get it. I'm just curious if people are aware that rapid acceleration of an electric car impacts range and energy consumption just like an ICE car (doubling the current to the motor quadruples the heat loss through resistance etc), because I also see a lot of discussion on range anxiety here.
Of course it will affect the range, but not much. Today I was driving the first gen Volt in sport mode and floored it every chance I got. In total my trip was 31 km but I only used 29 km of rated range.

So in essence in terms of Volt the estimate is quite accurate and accounted for sporty driving.

And while no Tesla, flooring a Volt is still very fun. I honestly can't wait for the Model 3 to arrive.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7595 posts
1029 upvotes
mrumble wrote:
May 16th, 2017 9:46 pm
Scherer Chevrolet in Kitchener called me yesterday to say they just received a Volt base model (+ leather) and a premier. I'm in the market to buy as soon as VW pays me for my Jetta. I know how hard it can be to find one of these on the lot so I'm sure it will be gone before I get my VW hush money... happy hunting.
It's amazing how many of these Volts I am seeing lately. They must be selling!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7595 posts
1029 upvotes
canuckdriver wrote:
May 16th, 2017 11:44 am
I'm looking at the Bolt. Anyone know about availability? Anywhere in GTA to test drive one?
I'm being quoted MSRP with 3.9% 48 month lease and 16c for excess milage. full list price. and no promise of delivery - maybe end of 2017. bullshit?
Applewood in Mississauga had a couple sitting out front a couple of weeks ago. Could call.
Sep 28, 2003
285 posts
11 upvotes
tester85 wrote:
How far can it go on all electric? 85km is nothing?
I get about 95km estimated range on mine. I use 32km to work and back. Winter was more like 65km range but use way less battery since the engine burns gas when it's -10C or colder.
tester85 wrote:
Salesperson said to come in when the oil life on the dash said to get a change. First two oil changes are free too.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2011
5739 posts
1163 upvotes
Oakville/Toronto
Anyone in ON or the GTA get a 240VAC outlet installed in their garage or similar locations? Want to know the ballpark cost.
Aug 2, 2007
40 posts
23 upvotes
Montreal
Redscott wrote:
May 14th, 2017 9:32 am
Quebec Volt owners......What have electricians quoted you to install an exterior 240VAC outlet with weather proof box?
I'm in Quebec. I don't know about exterior but had one installed inside my garage but the basement is finished and it cost me around 800$ At the time, Quebec gouv payed 50% of installation + charger before tax. Then they get some back come the tax period because you have to declare that income. -_-'
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel