Hot Deals

[Chevrolet] Hot? 2017 Chevy Volt LT $31,415 OTR after incentives (Ont)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2017 3:47 pm
Aug 2, 2007
40 posts
23 upvotes
Montreal
tester85 wrote:
May 16th, 2017 9:41 pm
How expensive is maintenance on these cars?
Oil change is like each 2 years. You don't use the break much in the city because of the Low gear and paddle so the breaks are to last quite a while.
If you get a Bolt, you don't need oil change at all. On average, I go fill out the tank on my Volt 3 times a year. I was paying 3k$ of gas each year for 60km commute to my work and back for my Honda 2005 V6, now I pay 365$/year to fill my battery plus 90$ gas fuel/year. The car almost pays by itself after 10 years vs an ICE.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
May 15, 2015
28 posts
33 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Variability wrote:
May 19th, 2017 10:52 am
Anyone in ON or the GTA get a 240VAC outlet installed in their garage or similar locations? Want to know the ballpark cost.
I'm located in Guelph and had a nema 14-50 50 amp receptacle installed into the back of my garage by a licenses electrician. It cost me $780 parts and labour before tax.
Jan 23, 2008
774 posts
235 upvotes
hmm, looks like the $1000 lease incentive wasn't renewed. I'm still waiting for my factory order (which was then promised to be a dealer order, was quite disappointed on how this worked out).

If the price during my factory order is higher than what I had originally signed with for my lease - am I able to walk away from this deal?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7334 posts
1208 upvotes
mrumble wrote:
May 16th, 2017 9:46 pm
Scherer Chevrolet in Kitchener called me yesterday to say they just received a Volt base model (+ leather) and a premier. I'm in the market to buy as soon as VW pays me for my Jetta. I know how hard it can be to find one of these on the lot so I'm sure it will be gone before I get my VW hush money... happy hunting.
How much do VW pays for the emission fiasco?
Mar 11, 2008
139 posts
101 upvotes
London
Messerschmitt wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2017 2:38 pm
How much do VW pays for the emission fiasco?
It depends on the year/model of your VW... but the September 2015 Black Book value plus a little extra "sorry" money. For most people I think it's between $10-20k
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7334 posts
1208 upvotes
mrumble wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2017 5:45 pm
It depends on the year/model of your VW... but the September 2015 Black Book value plus a little extra "sorry" money. For most people I think it's between $10-20k
Oh right but they take the car back.

I was searching a bit on the internet, and in the US, if I read it correctly, people can get their car fixed (whatever) + get something between 4000-6000 USD, which it could be the sorry money but not sure.

I would definitely go with that option unless one really wants a new car. Diesel is crazy good on fuel efficiency especially hwy as it's the case in north America with the commutes.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2004
5488 posts
130 upvotes
CheapNFrugal wrote:
May 19th, 2017 4:48 pm
I'm located in Guelph and had a nema 14-50 50 amp receptacle installed into the back of my garage by a licenses electrician. It cost me $780 parts and labour before tax.
That doesn't include the actual charger? I just had the same NEMA 14-50 installed in my garage for $250 by a licensed electrician. Bought a clippercreek from the US for $600 CAD
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2003
16111 posts
1677 upvotes
Langley
It's going to make a pretty big difference how close someone wants a charger to their electric panel and what wiring they have. Other people's quotes aren't going to help much. Ideally someone has their main breaker panel in the garage and the distance is minimal.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
2513 posts
999 upvotes
champ91 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2017 6:03 pm
That doesn't include the actual charger? I just had the same NEMA 14-50 installed in my garage for $250 by a licensed electrician. Bought a clippercreek from the US for $600 CAD
40 amp 240VAC double breaker and about 40 feet of sufficient gauge 240VAC wire from my back of the basement to the front of my basement. Labour. Outdoor receptacle and weatherproof box plus my Elmec charger I am supplying. Quote is $330 in QC. I had another quote for $450
Mar 22, 2017
5 posts
3 upvotes
I'm seriously interested in getting the Volt. Tired of paying $300-400 per month for gas. Any tips or suggestions? Will the 2017 be getting clearance pricing soon?
Should I wait for the 2018 models and get one from factory? My buddy has a 2016 and it's great.
May 22, 2017
76 posts
33 upvotes
same thing here. I only get some MRSP quote on leasing deal.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2502 posts
203 upvotes
destinet wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 10:39 am
i have two volt and by fare the best car i ever own.

I never chase the plug when i go out. I have 41k km and 2.3l/100km
Beats my cmax. I'm about 35km and 2.7l/100km. 50/50 hwy/city. No real difference but still like to see the numbers.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Volt either. Cmax is great too.
Sep 4, 2006
373 posts
57 upvotes
Just to help potential buyers...

Here is a screen taken today with the lifetime L/100km for our 2015 Volt. They are amazing vehicles.

Jan 28, 2015
69 posts
288 upvotes
I bought a Volt around the end of April because of this thread, and I honestly could not be happier with it. I've put gas in it twice, and only because of a few extra long trips I had to make. I didn't bother having a special charger installed, because the number of times I'd end up needing it to charge twice as fast as usual didn't really justify the cost (I plug it in when I get home from work and it is good to go the next morning - I don't often go out again once I'm home). I needed a new vehicle anyways, and this one is partially paying for itself in the amount of gas I'm saving. Even being on rural hydro rates the cost of electricity is negligible compared to the $10-15 a day in gas I was spending to commute to work and back. In this weather the range gets me there and home with a few kms to spare, and while I expect it to drop off when winter hits, I've worked out an arrangement with my employer to charge it up while I'm at work so I should still be able to do the trip on all electric.

I just want to say a big thanks to everybody who contributed to this thread and made me take a second look at this car - I had always assumed the car itself would be way out of my price range and that the crazy prices I pay for hydro would make it a waste of time. Turns out, not so! Absolutely love this purchase.
Mar 22, 2017
5 posts
3 upvotes
Pulled the trigger. Getting one of the last 2017 factory ordered LT with leather. Will see it in about 2 weeks. MSRP - Visas discount and no dealer fees - Ontario rebate + Tax. Not great, but the satisfaction of getting a brand new factory car off-sets any potential savings I left on the table. I read this entire thread. Thanks everyone. (l'll up-vote everyone when I get more posts under this new account - Old one was lost with the mass RFD password reset)