Hot Deals

[Chevrolet] Hot? 2017 Chevy Volt LT $31,415 OTR after incentives (Ont)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2017 7:26 pm
Sep 22, 2009
272 posts
132 upvotes
Got mine two weeks ago and I absolutely love it!

It's really a great car overall. It responds really well and I'm still impressed with the acceleration. It's a thrill to accelerate without making any sound; I don't know how to explain it but it's as if you were suddenly pushed by the wind! :-)

770 km on the odometer of which only 2 km used fuel. At this rate, I'll be lucky if I need to refuel within a year.

About the home charger (240V), I had it installed this morning. At this time of the year, the portable charger (120V) is enough to charge it overnight but the home charger will be really useful this winter. I will then be able to prepare/heat the car, before going to work each morning, using only my home electricity without depleting the car's battery or using fuel.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2072 posts
205 upvotes
Mississauga
What is the max range on these cars for both electric and gas, highway driving?
Dec 5, 2006
47 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
I waffled between the Volt and Bolt. I am 6'5" and found the Volt headroom too tight for me so I bought the Bolt instead. My motivation was simple. I hate pumping gas in the winter and as a gadget freak wanted to try an electric car without spending Tesla dollars.

I have put close to 5K KMs on the Bolt. So far I love it. I commute in stupid Toronto traffic and the one peddle driving (regenerative breaking kicks in as soon as you let up on the accelerator peddle) makes stop and go so much easier to deal with. And you get to use HOV lanes that will soon be added to 427 and more highways. The car is surprisingly fast and low center of gravity makes it not suck at handling. I would not say its good with the low rolling resistance tires, but it does not suck.

If I drive sedately I can easily get over 400kms out of a charge this time of year. Not saying that happens often. The instant acceleration is addictive.

Added bonus, there are loads of free charging options around Toronto, particularly in down town parking lots that also have the added added bonus of being really good spots up front in the garage.

Home charging, I bought a chargepoint home charger ($1K -$500 rebate=$500) and wired it myself ($100 in wire plus 40amp breaker). From dead it would charge the car in about 8 hours. In May I drove 3000kms and it cost $90 in electricity (don't get me started about Ontario rates).
Sep 15, 2006
487 posts
125 upvotes
bsfred wrote:
Jun 9th, 2017 10:36 am
I waffled between the Volt and Bolt. I am 6'5" and found the Volt headroom too tight for me so I bought the Bolt instead. My motivation was simple. I hate pumping gas in the winter and as a gadget freak wanted to try an electric car without spending Tesla dollars.

I have put close to 5K KMs on the Bolt. So far I love it. I commute in stupid Toronto traffic and the one peddle driving (regenerative breaking kicks in as soon as you let up on the accelerator peddle) makes stop and go so much easier to deal with. And you get to use HOV lanes that will soon be added to 427 and more highways. The car is surprisingly fast and low center of gravity makes it not suck at handling. I would not say its good with the low rolling resistance tires, but it does not suck.

If I drive sedately I can easily get over 400kms out of a charge this time of year. Not saying that happens often. The instant acceleration is addictive.

Added bonus, there are loads of free charging options around Toronto, particularly in down town parking lots that also have the added added bonus of being really good spots up front in the garage.

Home charging, I bought a chargepoint home charger ($1K -$500 rebate=$500) and wired it myself ($100 in wire plus 40amp breaker). From dead it would charge the car in about 8 hours. In May I drove 3000kms and it cost $90 in electricity (don't get me started about Ontario rates).
I'm in Ontario too, so I'm just trying to get an idea of that electricity cost. Do you only charge it during off-peak hours at home? Or try to as much as you can anyways?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7984 posts
1231 upvotes
bsfred wrote:

Very cool - I'm jealous!

Sounds great.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4162 posts
2010 upvotes
Kitchener
engman13 wrote:
Jun 9th, 2017 11:39 am
I'm in Ontario too, so I'm just trying to get an idea of that electricity cost. Do you only charge it during off-peak hours at home? Or try to as much as you can anyways?
Usually charge overnight, it's around the equivalent of $0.15/litre of gasoline. So if gas was 1/6th to 1/8th the cost, it would be comparable. Used to spend $350/month to fuel my car (10.5L/100km average), now I spend about $50/month extra on electricity and $0 in fuel - I probably drive a bit more now as well because it costs so little to drive an EV anywhere. Never buying a gas car again, EVs are so awesome, only have to test drive one for 5 minutes to realize how amazing they are.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40159 posts
9431 upvotes
Besides PHEV's (like this Volt) and the Tesla Model 3, are most EV's hard to come by in terms of allocated quantities? It seems even the Bolt is hard to come by while the Focus is sold out for MY2017.

I wonder if Hyundai/Kia will be seriously selling their EVs next year in Canada?
http://insideevs.com/hyundai-kona-elect ... ile-range/

Hyundai-Kia Group will reportedly bring yet another electric vehicle to market for 2018; the Hyundai Kona Electric SUV.
Between Kia and Hyundai, the EV news continues to flood in. The Hyundai IONIQ Electric recently surfaced at dealers, and for 2018, we will have the Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid, Kia Niro EV, Kia Stonic EV, Hyundai IONIQ Plug-In Hybrid, a longer range IONIQ Electric in 2018, and now we add the Hyundai Kona Electric to the mix.
Last edited by alanbrenton on Jun 9th, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 15, 2006
487 posts
125 upvotes
IntrepidRT wrote:
Jun 9th, 2017 11:55 am
Usually charge overnight, it's around the equivalent of $0.15/litre of gasoline. So if gas was 1/6th to 1/8th the cost, it would be comparable. Used to spend $350/month to fuel my car (10.5L/100km average), now I spend about $50/month extra on electricity and $0 in fuel - I probably drive a bit more now as well because it costs so little to drive an EV anywhere. Never buying a gas car again, EVs are so awesome, only have to test drive one for 5 minutes to realize how amazing they are.
I don't know if the bolt would be right for me, but I have been toying with the idea of a volt. If I went full EV I'd probably go for the Tesla 3 but at 35K US, it's out of my price range since the dollar is so bad.

I am tempted to look for a volt to test drive, but I'm worried I'd want it immediately and I've never had any interest in any Chevrolet product.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40159 posts
9431 upvotes
bsfred wrote:

At night, we still fare better than most States in the US and then again, their gasoline prices are typically much lower. Payback period in Canada is much quicker for sure and our batteries will last forever because the minute we hit mid 30's, we'll be getting heat stroke warnings in the media (likely targeted towards seniors and the more frail).
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4162 posts
2010 upvotes
Kitchener
engman13 wrote:
Jun 9th, 2017 1:02 pm
I don't know if the bolt would be right for me, but I have been toying with the idea of a volt. If I went full EV I'd probably go for the Tesla 3 but at 35K US, it's out of my price range since the dollar is so bad.

I am tempted to look for a volt to test drive, but I'm worried I'd want it immediately and I've never had any interest in any Chevrolet product.
99% of people would be better off with the Bolt. It IS an extra $6,000 but more powerful, versatile and maintenance free. It also charges twice as fast as the Volt on L2 and 10 times faster on L3. I expect my Model 3 will be around $50k or more before incentives. Also starting to wonder when my March 31st reservation on the Model 3 will be ready? I might have to actually drive a gas car for a little while while I'm waiting for the performance version with full Autopilot to be available.
Last edited by IntrepidRT on Jun 9th, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40159 posts
9431 upvotes
IntrepidRT wrote:
Jun 9th, 2017 1:17 pm
99% of people would be better off with the Bolt. It IS an extra $6,000 but more powerful, versatile and maintenance free. It also charges twice as fast as the Volt on L2 and 10 times faster on L3. I expect my Model 3 will be around $50k or more before incentives.
You are only opting for a bigger battery? That already adds at least $3k to $35k USD
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4162 posts
2010 upvotes
Kitchener
alanbrenton wrote:
Jun 9th, 2017 1:22 pm
You are only opting for a bigger battery? That already adds at least $3k to $35k USD
Nope, that's the one option I really could care less about - it doesn't help to have a larger battery when you're going to spend the same amount of time charging at Superchargers on long trips anyways - for day to day driving the larger battery is beyond pointless. What I REALLY want is AWD for extra power, but I'll probably be forced into buying the larger battery at the same time. Notice I said $50k OR more? I fully expect to pay around $50k after incentives, possibly more. The Bolt is good value at $37k OTR and still really quick.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40159 posts
9431 upvotes
IntrepidRT wrote:
Jun 9th, 2017 1:28 pm
Nope, that's the one option I really could care less about - it doesn't help to have a larger battery when you're going to spend the same amount of time charging at Superchargers on long trips anyways - for day to day driving the larger battery is beyond pointless. What I REALLY want is AWD for extra power, but I'll probably be forced into buying the larger battery at the same time. Notice I said $50k OR more? I fully expect to pay around $50k after incentives, possibly more. The Bolt is good value at $37k OTR and still really quick.
End of July is coming. There's the eight-year financing at 2.49% anyway, haha.

During winter, do you think we can get 240 km on the base battery if the driver ignores the advice to not use cabin heat extensively and to pre-warm the interior while plugged in? It's harder to get my woman to do these things.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18686 posts
1104 upvotes
IntrepidRT wrote:
Jun 9th, 2017 1:17 pm
Also starting to wonder when my March 31st reservation on the Model 3 will be ready? I might have to actually drive a gas car for a little while while I'm waiting for the performance version with full Autopilot to be available.
The Model 3 is full autopilot capable from day 1. Its just a software option you purchase.

In fact, the Model 3 is fully Level-5 autonomous capable day 1, so when that software is fully baked (expected before 2020), it will be a S/W upgrade only.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Mar 22, 2017
5 posts
3 upvotes
TheCurse9 wrote:
Jun 9th, 2017 9:20 am
Got mine two weeks ago and I absolutely love it!

It's really a great car overall. It responds really well and I'm still impressed with the acceleration. It's a thrill to accelerate without making any sound; I don't know how to explain it but it's as if you were suddenly pushed by the wind! :-)

770 km on the odometer of which only 2 km used fuel. At this rate, I'll be lucky if I need to refuel within a year.

About the home charger (240V), I had it installed this morning. At this time of the year, the portable charger (120V) is enough to charge it overnight but the home charger will be really useful this winter. I will then be able to prepare/heat the car, before going to work each morning, using only my home electricity without depleting the car's battery or using fuel.
Where / how did u get the home charger installed? I know there was an RFD group buy and a few ppl buying charger from the states. Any recommendations?