Hot Deals

[Chevrolet] Hot? 2017 Chevy Volt LT $31,415 OTR after incentives (Ont)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 11:31 am
Aug 25, 2010
42 posts
21 upvotes
mississauga
TheCurse9 wrote:
Jun 9th, 2017 9:20 am
Got mine two weeks ago and I absolutely love it!

It's really a great car overall. It responds really well and I'm still impressed with the acceleration. It's a thrill to accelerate without making any sound; I don't know how to explain it but it's as if you were suddenly pushed by the wind! :-)

770 km on the odometer of which only 2 km used fuel. At this rate, I'll be lucky if I need to refuel within a year.

About the home charger (240V), I had it installed this morning. At this time of the year, the portable charger (120V) is enough to charge it overnight but the home charger will be really useful this winter. I will then be able to prepare/heat the car, before going to work each morning, using only my home electricity without depleting the car's battery or using fuel.
can you share what's the price ?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2004
5517 posts
140 upvotes
I bought this car in April in BC, have put 5,000kms on it and still on the original tank of gas. It's a great car for work but a bit small for a family car. The middle rear seat is not comfortable for sitting long distances. The back seats also have lower headspace as it is a hatchback. Other than that, the car is fantastic. There are tons of free chargers in major cities. Great buy for work vehicle. I've probably saved a thousand bucks on gas already
Sep 22, 2009
277 posts
133 upvotes
max1234 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2017 12:36 am
can you share what's the price ?
I'd recommend going to the "AVÉQ" website. It's in French but you will get many links for buying different home chargers in Canada (FLO, Leviton, EVDuty, etc).

AVEQ link...

Personally, I bought the FLO charger ($995) and had it installed by an electrician (about $300) minus the Quebec rebates for the charger (-$350) and the installation (-$250). I don't know the exact amounts but I know that the Ontario rebates are even better.
Sep 12, 2006
62 posts
41 upvotes
bsfred wrote:
Jun 9th, 2017 10:36 am
I waffled between the Volt and Bolt. I am 6'5" and found the Volt headroom too tight for me so I bought the Bolt instead. My motivation was simple. I hate pumping gas in the winter and as a gadget freak wanted to try an electric car without spending Tesla dollars.

I have put close to 5K KMs on the Bolt. So far I love it. I commute in stupid Toronto traffic and the one peddle driving (regenerative breaking kicks in as soon as you let up on the accelerator peddle) makes stop and go so much easier to deal with. And you get to use HOV lanes that will soon be added to 427 and more highways. The car is surprisingly fast and low center of gravity makes it not suck at handling. I would not say its good with the low rolling resistance tires, but it does not suck.

If I drive sedately I can easily get over 400kms out of a charge this time of year. Not saying that happens often. The instant acceleration is addictive.

Added bonus, there are loads of free charging options around Toronto, particularly in down town parking lots that also have the added added bonus of being really good spots up front in the garage.

Home charging, I bought a chargepoint home charger ($1K -$500 rebate=$500) and wired it myself ($100 in wire plus 40amp breaker). From dead it would charge the car in about 8 hours. In May I drove 3000kms and it cost $90 in electricity (don't get me started about Ontario rates).
At 6'5" how are you finding the seat size. That was the only complaints I was hearing about he Bolt, that the driver seat wasn't as comfortable as the Volt. Sounds like it isn't an issue or you would have mentioned it during all that "stupid Toronto traffic".
Sep 1, 2004
806 posts
166 upvotes
drgrittani wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 11:47 am
At 6'5" how are you finding the seat size. That was the only complaints I was hearing about he Bolt, that the driver seat wasn't as comfortable as the Volt. Sounds like it isn't an issue or you would have mentioned it during all that "stupid Toronto traffic".
I'm only 5'7" and still find the seat a bit on the small side. May be I have a big ass.

Would love it one day where EV manufacturers don't have to cut corners to make an EV to keep price low. I think eGolf does have this potential. It's a proper car, even if it has half the range of Bolt and not as fast but that's offset by the $6K difference in starting price and has more premium interior.

And 200km is enough for a mon-fri driver, I'll keep burning dinosaurs on the weekend unless someone releases a Models S P100D powertrain for less than $70k.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2005
1499 posts
187 upvotes
Xtrema wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 12:59 pm
I'm only 5'7" and still find the seat a bit on the small side. May be I have a big ass.

Would love it one day where EV manufacturers don't have to cut corners to make an EV to keep price low. I think eGolf does have this potential. It's a proper car, even if it has half the range of Bolt and not as fast but that's offset by the $6K difference in starting price and has more premium interior.

And 200km is enough for a mon-fri driver, I'll keep burning dinosaurs on the weekend unless someone releases a Models S P100D powertrain for less than $70k.
If 200km is enough for you, you should really check out the Ioniq. Lots of youtube video on this car now but check out Tesla Bjorn's winter Ioniq drive in Norway. He's getting around 165km in winter condition with a studded tires. It takes 1-2 months to get the car after you order it from the dealer
Remember to click the Thanks button if this is helpful to you...
Nov 11, 2009
337 posts
82 upvotes
Edmonton
I went to the dealer and they quoted me approx 2.5% for financing. Is that the best rate I'm going to find? I'm not seeing 0% offered anywhere.

In Alberta, by the way.
Dec 5, 2006
47 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
engman13 wrote:
Jun 9th, 2017 11:39 am
I'm in Ontario too, so I'm just trying to get an idea of that electricity cost. Do you only charge it during off-peak hours at home? Or try to as much as you can anyways?
Sorry for taking a couple days to get back to you. The Chargepoint gives more flexibility for setting charge times than the car itself does. I set mine to only charge at off peak times after 7PM or weekends. Its better to do that in the charger than in the car. With the car always set to charge immediately, if I am away from home and need to plug in I do not need to fuss with any setting to get it charging right away.
Dec 5, 2006
47 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
drgrittani wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 11:47 am
Most of the complaints on the web for the Bolt are based on the seat width. Personally, I do not find that an issue. Where I have problems is the curve of the seat. They are curved to match a natural back but for me the top of the seat hits my shoulders and pushes me forward making my lower back curve more. Adjustable lumbar support would fix it, but its not in the Bolt. I will add a small pillow for my lower back. My wife and kids all find it comfortable.

Bottom line a couple of hours is fine. If was going to do a long road trip I suspect my back would protest. But I bought this car for a city runabout. Long road trips for now will be in a ICE car (Porsche).
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
5608 posts
628 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
Inno wrote:
Feb 11th, 2017 9:59 am
What?? In 40 years of car ownership, driving several million miles I've never replaced brake fluid nor had any repair shop recommend it. Most of my cars were driven at least 300K.
Really? Assume "several" at the minimum possible number if three.

Three million miles equals 4,800,000 km.

Divided by 40 years equals 120,000 km per year.

10,000 km per month.

Consider a combination of city and highway driving averaging 80 kilometres per hour.

10,000 km divided by 80 km/hr equals 125 hours of driving.

That means over four hours driving every day of every month. No time off for weekends or vacations.

If we assume driving is on work days, and you have only three weeks vacation, that means there are 234 work days in a year.

That would work out to 6.41 hours per day of driving at an average of 80 km per hour to achieve 4,800,000 km in 40 years.

I drive about 45,000 every 10 months (I take two months off every year) and that seems like a lot. In 40 years I would do only 1,800.00 km.

Your 4,800,000 in 40 years or 120,000 kilometres per year seems to be extraordinarily high.
Earthlings, you're evicted.
You are not getting the damage deposit back.

God
Apr 29, 2006
344 posts
388 upvotes
the 6
SRG01 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 1:10 pm
I went to the dealer and they quoted me approx 2.5% for financing. Is that the best rate I'm going to find? I'm not seeing 0% offered anywhere.

In Alberta, by the way.

the rate is the same in Ontario... if you get the regular gas cruz or volt its 0%
Nov 11, 2009
337 posts
82 upvotes
Edmonton
mimo86 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 6:50 am
the rate is the same in Ontario... if you get the regular gas cruz or volt its 0%
Volt at 0%? How?
Feb 13, 2017
25 posts
6 upvotes
Does it make much sense to get a Volt if I drive 120km on the highway daily? Mostly above 100 with infrequent braking. Will I be getting close to 6L/100 in this case as thats the avg when the engine is constantly running
Sep 12, 2006
62 posts
41 upvotes
2014 Chevy Volt owner here. Most of that 120 km will be all electric. If you have access to a charger somewhere at your destination, even a regular 120V plug, you will not have to use any gas. I am at around 85,000 km and my total mileage is ~1.7L/100km. That is mostly because of the occasional long trip to cottage country or Montreal, otherwise it would be a lot lower. Not sure if it applies, but if your highway trip has any HOV lanes the Volt can use those so it will make for a quicker trip.
Sep 15, 2006
558 posts
142 upvotes
mimo86 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 6:50 am
Chevy website lists 2.49% and I'm in Ontario. If it was 0% I'd probably go buy one now lol

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)