Hot Deals

[Chevrolet] Hot? 2017 Chevy Volt LT $31,415 OTR after incentives (Ont)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2017 9:39 am
Jan 28, 2003
888 posts
87 upvotes
Markham
IntrepidRT wrote:
Jun 9th, 2017 1:28 pm
Nope, that's the one option I really could care less about - it doesn't help to have a larger battery when you're going to spend the same amount of time charging at Superchargers on long trips anyways - for day to day driving the larger battery is beyond pointless. What I REALLY want is AWD for extra power, but I'll probably be forced into buying the larger battery at the same time. Notice I said $50k OR more? I fully expect to pay around $50k after incentives, possibly more. The Bolt is good value at $37k OTR and still really quick.
Sorry bro no awd option for first release
Definitely not until next year in the USA so who knows how long for Canada

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/electrek.co ... -musk/amp/
Many of my buddies will be getting their money back
Sandviper
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4008 posts
1851 upvotes
Kitchener
sandviper wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 2:07 am
Sorry bro no awd option for first release
Definitely not until next year in the USA so who knows how long for Canada

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/electrek.co ... -musk/amp/
Many of my buddies will be getting their money back
I'm willing to wait it out a bit. I have 23,000km to go on my Leaf lease (going to hit 96,000km before 4 years is up), then I might have to drive my gas vehicle for a bit? I hope there are cancellations, moves the rest of us up in line! ;)
Aug 25, 2010
36 posts
8 upvotes
mississauga
drgrittani wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 3:55 pm
2014 Chevy Volt owner here. Most of that 120 km will be all electric. If you have access to a charger somewhere at your destination, even a regular 120V plug, you will not have to use any gas. I am at around 85,000 km and my total mileage is ~1.7L/100km. That is mostly because of the occasional long trip to cottage country or Montreal, otherwise it would be a lot lower. Not sure if it applies, but if your highway trip has any HOV lanes the Volt can use those so it will make for a quicker trip.
Have you done any maintenance since ? what's the cost for the maintenance ? Thanks
Sep 12, 2006
48 posts
31 upvotes
max1234 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 8:30 pm
Have you done any maintenance since ? what's the cost for the maintenance ? Thanks
2 oil changes, and a couple of tire repairs (nails in the tire), that's it. No other maintenance. One oil change was the freebie that the dealer throws in traditionally for ICE's, I didn't actually need it yet, but did it anyway. Just got my second oil change a month or so ago. By driving in low gear all the time and maximizing the use of your regen braking, you save wear and tear on the friction brakes. Forget about being green, EV's are just better cars, maintenance is next to nothing.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
2299 posts
276 upvotes
Scarborough
GM is ripping off a ton of people with the volt. Its basically a cruze with the electric components added on. Cost of 20kwh batteries = $4k; electric motors and all the other stuff = $6k?? Add up the cost of a base cruze = $12k. Total price = $22k. Yet the starting price is $15k more...I'm guessing that extra pays off the R&D costs

The volt would be GREAT if the body was based on the Malibu instead...a lot roomier and more comfortable
Feb 13, 2017
17 posts
3 upvotes
blaznazn22 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2017 12:15 pm
GM is ripping off a ton of people with the volt. Its basically a cruze with the electric components added on. Cost of 20kwh batteries = $4k; electric motors and all the other stuff = $6k?? Add up the cost of a base cruze = $12k. Total price = $22k. Yet the starting price is $15k more...I'm guessing that extra pays off the R&D costs

The volt would be GREAT if the body was based on the Malibu instead...a lot roomier and more comfortable
A decent cruze costs 22k
Not sure whose selling you a cruze for 12k
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4008 posts
1851 upvotes
Kitchener
blaznazn22 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2017 12:15 pm

What does the top of the line Cruze cost??? The Volt is like that but a better car.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
2299 posts
276 upvotes
Scarborough
cutepoison wrote:
Jun 20th, 2017 12:24 pm
A decent cruze costs 22k
Not sure whose selling you a cruze for 12k
i'm talking about the cost price for GM, not the MSRP. I'd peg that number anywhere from 12-15k for a fully built cruze. GM is literally adding 1 + 1 together and getting 4. Its not just GM either, but Nissan and a whole bunch of car companies selling EV's, that are boosting the prices of these cars just because the government subsidies exist in the first place.

Toyota is probably the worst at pulling this scam...their hybrid technology has been out for almost 20 years now and for some reason the price gap between an hybrid and a regular car is always $5-6k. You'd think that the out dated technology that toyota is using in their hybrids would be affordable by now. Nope...its just price fixing at its finest. They get away with the scam and they profit from it so they will continue doing it.
Aug 25, 2010
36 posts
8 upvotes
mississauga
drgrittani wrote:
Jun 20th, 2017 12:08 pm
2 oil changes, and a couple of tire repairs (nails in the tire), that's it. No other maintenance. One oil change was the freebie that the dealer throws in traditionally for ICE's, I didn't actually need it yet, but did it anyway. Just got my second oil change a month or so ago. By driving in low gear all the time and maximizing the use of your regen braking, you save wear and tear on the friction brakes. Forget about being green, EV's are just better cars, maintenance is next to nothing.
Thanks, how's the battery performance difference between summer and winter ?
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
1989 posts
189 upvotes
Mississauga
I would be curious to know the percentage of people leasing these vs purchase and why? I am so on the fence that I just have no idea what to do here lol..... I just worry about what these might be worth in 3 years when the tech improves if I were to finance vs lease.
I think I would be the idea candidate here. I have a short commute and my workplace has charging stations. Only on occasion I make a camping trip up north summer time where I would need the gasoline to come into play.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
1779 posts
185 upvotes
Kitchener
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 10:43 am
I would be curious to know the percentage of people leasing these vs purchase and why? I am so on the fence that I just have no idea what to do here lol..... I just worry about what these might be worth in 3 years when the tech improves if I were to finance vs lease.
I think I would be the idea candidate here. I have a short commute and my workplace has charging stations. Only on occasion I make a camping trip up north summer time where I would need the gasoline to come into play.
I leased a Volt LT at the end of May for 36 months to maximize the Ontario Incentive. There's interest associated with the lease, but this gives me flexibility to give the car back if technology has evolved and I want a newer car OR if the incentive has gone away and the resale price for the car is substantially higher than the residual on the lease.
Congratulations!
Today is YOUR day.
You're off to great places!
You're off and away!
Sep 8, 2014
281 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It's easy to see what a $40K EV will be sold for in 3 years, just look at used 2013 Leaf or Volt, they run $15K for a used one with 100,000km and three years.
So, if you bought a $40K Volt today, expect to sell it for similar.
Of course, a $40K EV is really a $25K with rebate in Ontario, so you're driving three years for $10K, pretty awesome deal for such great cars.
May 22, 2017
55 posts
30 upvotes
SmartElectric wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2017 3:47 pm
It's easy to see what a $40K EV will be sold for in 3 years, just look at used 2013 Leaf or Volt, they run $15K for a used one with 100,000km and three years.
So, if you bought a $40K Volt today, expect to sell it for similar.
Of course, a $40K EV is really a $25K with rebate in Ontario, so you're driving three years for $10K, pretty awesome deal for such great cars.
Driving three years a cruze-like car for 10k is a lot !
The 30%ish residual % is not reflecting true life % for Volt, its just a way to slice the government rebate. For Volt, because the battery degradation doesn't matter, better to own to the end.