Hot Deals

[Chevrolet] Hot? 2017 Chevy Volt LT $31,415 OTR after incentives (Ont)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2017 9:39 am
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
2485 posts
975 upvotes
SmartElectric wrote:
Jun 24th, 2017 12:39 am
You're clueless if you think driving a gas car is the same as an electric.
I won't bother to explain, just go here are try them out:
https://plugndrive.ca/electric-vehicle-discovery-centre
I second the opinion. If you haven't at least test driven a Volt then your RFD forum positioning is meaningless. Then again a 15 minute test drive may not be enough.
May 22, 2017
55 posts
30 upvotes
Redscott wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 7:21 pm
I second the opinion. If you haven't at least test driven a Volt then your RFD forum positioning is meaningless. Then again a 15 minute test drive may not be enough.
I test drove VOLT, not impressed. Very narrow forward view, and small interior space, just what an average compact car is.
At mean time, you got save of gas, quite decent 0-60 acceleration; but for the same performance/money you can get something else for a price of 30k+.

At very least, I think VOLT has a long way to go to drop its price, maybe at the time rebate will be less - who knows, but you can always get a Golf (30k) for speed or a corrola (20k-) for money.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4008 posts
1851 upvotes
Kitchener
modelerIII wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 9:39 am
I test drove VOLT, not impressed. Very narrow forward view, and small interior space, just what an average compact car is.
At mean time, you got save of gas, quite decent 0-60 acceleration; but for the same performance/money you can get something else for a price of 30k+.

At very least, I think VOLT has a long way to go to drop its price, maybe at the time rebate will be less - who knows, but you can always get a Golf (30k) for speed or a corrola (20k-) for money.
The Volt will beat a GTI off the line to 100km/h (and absolutely destroy a regular Golf).....so only get it if you want to save lots of money AND go fast. I don't own a Volt (I prefer to never buy gas), but they're not slow.
Feb 21, 2004
857 posts
84 upvotes
IntrepidRT wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 9:46 am
The Volt will beat a GTI off the line to 100km/h (and absolutely destroy a regular Golf).....so only get it if you want to save lots of money AND go fast. I don't own a Volt (I prefer to never buy gas), but they're not slow.
I don't think GTI and Volt are in the same category- being ~400kg heavier Volt handling will certainly be different, also GTI will easily last ~20 years, I doubt Volt will last half of that...
Everyone thinks that car maintenance involves engine only, what about the suspension, body, electronics and electric motor components? Volts are too new and nobody knows what the long term maintenance costs will be. But then of course, for people who change cars every 3 years it will make no difference...
May 22, 2017
55 posts
30 upvotes
IntrepidRT wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 9:46 am
Sorry, spec show gti is sort of 1 sec less than VOLT in 0-60, are you saying "beat behind" LOL
Sep 12, 2006
48 posts
31 upvotes
max1234 wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2017 8:39 pm
Thanks, how's the battery performance difference between summer and winter ?
peaks at 80 km in the best weather, summer average ~75km.
Winter ~50km.

Seems like I use more gas in Summer though as there tends to be a few more longer trips up north etc. I think the 2017 Volt has more like 110km max range, but I would need a 2017 owner to provide their experience. 2017 Volt battery has greater range than 2014.
Dec 18, 2003
473 posts
40 upvotes
Dekster wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 10:22 am
I don't think GTI and Volt are in the same category- being ~400kg heavier Volt handling will certainly be different, also GTI will easily last ~20 years, I doubt Volt will last half of that...
Everyone thinks that car maintenance involves engine only, what about the suspension, body, electronics and electric motor components? Volts are too new and nobody knows what the long term maintenance costs will be. But then of course, for people who change cars every 3 years it will make no difference...
I had a mk6 GTI and going to the 2017 volt, the volt will blow the GTI off the line every time. the GTI will catch up at higher speed but there is not much that can beat the Volt 0-30 km\h time.

I call BS that a GTI will last 20 years. my 2011 GTI with 120k km has so many problems before I traded it in to the dealers. The volt has been around since 2011 and my parent has a 2012 volt with 120k km. On that volt , there is no issue at all and NO MAINTENANCE was done on it other then an oil change at 50 and 100k and still original tires. (the tires are due for replacement though.)
Last edited by fallengod on Jun 27th, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 4, 2006
365 posts
55 upvotes
Just did the quick math. We bought our 2015 Volt in Feb 2015. Previous car was a 2001 1.8T VW Beetle. Got good mileage. We have saved about $4000 in gas since buying the Volt. As for keeping a VW for 20 years... you better know a great mechanic, or do all the work yourself (like I did, but the parts are still expensive for VWs). The build/parts quality on 2000ish and up VWs is horrible. That's not my opinion, stop by a VW forum and even the biggest fanboys will share that fact. Plastic coolant parts, plastic water pump impellers, goopy soft touch interior panels, coil pack recall after recall...
Last edited by jayoldschool on Jun 27th, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 18, 2003
473 posts
40 upvotes
drgrittani wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 3:08 pm
peaks at 80 km in the best weather, summer average ~75km.
Winter ~50km.

Seems like I use more gas in Summer though as there tends to be a few more longer trips up north etc. I think the 2017 Volt has more like 110km max range, but I would need a 2017 owner to provide their experience. 2017 Volt battery has greater range than 2014.
on my 2017 this month im doing around 89km with AC at max and 96km without. in the winter i avg around 70km with heat on at Max.
I do around 70% stop and go highway 30% city.
Worst case for me on the 2017 volt is 45km ( 130km\h on electricity on the highway with heat on at -20C in the winter)
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4008 posts
1851 upvotes
Kitchener
jayoldschool wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 3:44 pm
Just did the quick math. We bought our 2015 Volt in Feb 2015. Previous car was a 2001 1.8T VW Beetle. Got good mileage. We have saved about $4000 in gas since buying the Volt. As for keeping a VW for 20 years... you better know a great mechanic, or do all the work yourself (like I did, but the parts are still expensive for VWs). The build/parts quality on 2000ish and up VWs is horrible. That's not my opinion, stop by a VW forum and even the biggest fanboys will share that fact. Plastic coolant parts, plastic water pump impellers, goopy soft touch interior panels, coil pack recall after recall...
I had a 17 year old Chrysler LHS that was averaging 10.6L/100km when I got my Leaf. Saving about $250/month in fuel costs. About $9000 savings in 3 years. Yes I AM comparing savings of a mid-size Leaf vs a full size sedan so a bit of a poor comparison there, but from 0-50km/h they accelerate about the same and they are able to transport similar amounts of stuff (hatchback vs huge trunk). One more year left on my lease, a bit sad but Model 3 is coming.
Feb 21, 2004
857 posts
84 upvotes
fallengod wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 3:43 pm
I had a mk6 GTI and going to the 2017 volt, the volt will blow the GTI off the line every time. the GTI will catch up at higher speed but there is not much that can beat the Volt 0-30 km\h time.

I call BS that a GTI will last 20 years. my 2011 GTI with 120k km has so many problems before I traded it in to the dealers. The volt has been around since 2011 and my parent has a 2012 volt with 120k km. On that volt , there is no issue at all and NO MAINTENANCE was done on it other then an oil change at 50 and 100k and still original tires. (the tires are due for replacement though.)
My current MK4 VR6 GTI is 16 years old, still drives like new, very little maintenance so far, previous GTI MK3 was 17 years old when someone drove into it and I had to get rid of it. GTIs used to be much better built than regular VWs and lasted much longer. Perhaps newer ones are worse quality, I don't know - still too early for MK5 for me :-)

I have nothing against Volt or other electric cars, my point is that you can't compare apples to oranges... Most if not all electric cars are still under warranty, the real maintenance costs will be known later down the road.
Sep 8, 2014
281 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Chevy Bolt EV beats VW GTI on drag races.
EV's are fun to drive, especially in the city.
Aug 18, 2009
39 posts
12 upvotes
Any one installed the level 2 charger in Ontario? Do you need to put a disconnect switch close to the charger? Or just feed from the panel?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4008 posts
1851 upvotes
Kitchener
qyong wrote:
Jun 28th, 2017 5:33 am
Any one installed the level 2 charger in Ontario? Do you need to put a disconnect switch close to the charger? Or just feed from the panel?
Feed from panel, the breaker is your disconnect. 50% of the installation cost is covered by the government, are you going to do it yourself?