Hot Deals

[Chevrolet] Hot? 2017 Chevy Volt LT $31,415 OTR after incentives (Ont)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2017 11:13 pm
Sep 28, 2003
303 posts
24 upvotes
drgrittani wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 3:08 pm
peaks at 80 km in the best weather, summer average ~75km.
Winter ~50km.

Seems like I use more gas in Summer though as there tends to be a few more longer trips up north etc. I think the 2017 Volt has more like 110km max range, but I would need a 2017 owner to provide their experience. 2017 Volt battery has greater range than 2014.
Volt 2017 here. It depends on driving style and terrain as well. I drive mostly on city streets and my range is estimated for 110km, sometimes more. Winter was more like 60-65km but the cold weather means the engine will use gas half the time. I have a 16km commute one way and winters would drive half on electric and half on gas.

Hard acceleration and higher speeds uses more battery.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7867 posts
1193 upvotes
SmartElectric wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 4:56 pm

Chevy Bolt EV beats VW GTI on drag races.
EV's are fun to drive, especially in the city.
Drove a friend's Volt on the weekend - I agree. Very zippy, very cool cars for urban driving.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4008 posts
1851 upvotes
Kitchener
The biggest problems with the Volt are:
1) Still uses gas
2) 3.6kW charging speed.......every other electric is 6.6 or 7.2kW

That being said, for people who just can't imagine life without an internal combustion engine, it's about the best you're going to get. Right now I'm considering if I'm going to trade my 2015 Leaf for a 2018 Leaf and if we're going to trade our RFD Sonata Hybrid for a Model 3. The Model 3 is coming for sure, just not 100% sure about what to get rid of or not. We really don't like paying for gas when electricity is about 15% of the cost and the Model 3 should be able to travel across the continent without too much trouble if we need to make a long trip.
Sep 1, 2004
742 posts
125 upvotes
IntrepidRT wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 12:54 pm
The biggest problems with the Volt are:
1) Still uses gas
2) 3.6kW charging speed.......every other electric is 6.6 or 7.2kW

That being said, for people who just can't imagine life without an internal combustion engine, it's about the best you're going to get. Right now I'm considering if I'm going to trade my 2015 Leaf for a 2018 Leaf and if we're going to trade our RFD Sonata Hybrid for a Model 3. The Model 3 is coming for sure, just not 100% sure about what to get rid of or not. We really don't like paying for gas when electricity is about 15% of the cost and the Model 3 should be able to travel across the continent without too much trouble if we need to make a long trip.
I think Volt will get rid of range anxiety. Charging infrastructure is still a mess with 3 different charging standards out there for DC fast charging and you will never know what you get (if your car supports DC fast charging at all).
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4008 posts
1851 upvotes
Kitchener
Xtrema wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 1:18 pm
I think Volt will get rid of range anxiety. Charging infrastructure is still a mess with 3 different charging standards out there for DC fast charging and you will never know what you get (if your car supports DC fast charging at all).
If you own an electric car, it's really a non-issue that non-electric car owners make up. You know how far the car can drive and if you want to go further you have a few options available......charge on route, trade with a family member for the day or rent a vehicle. It's really not hard at all. I have 77,000km in 3 years on my Leaf without a L3 port but it DOES have a 6.6kW on board charger so it's basically empty to full in 3 hours. Doesn't matter because 99% of charging is done at home or at your destination anyways, NOT on route. You wake up every single day with a 'full tank' so usually not an issue.
Sep 1, 2004
742 posts
125 upvotes
IntrepidRT wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 2:09 pm
If you own an electric car, it's really a non-issue that non-electric car owners make up. You know how far the car can drive and if you want to go further you have a few options available......charge on route, trade with a family member for the day or rent a vehicle. It's really not hard at all. I have 77,000km in 3 years on my Leaf without a L3 port but it DOES have a 6.6kW on board charger so it's basically empty to full in 3 hours. Doesn't matter because 99% of charging is done at home or at your destination anyways, NOT on route. You wake up every single day with a 'full tank' so usually not an issue.
I know we had some back and forth on this forums on EVs. I am not questioning daily driving where you will be home for 8+ he to charge.

I am probably showing my frustration at my upcoming California trip with 1600miles in a Tesla P85D. I can't believe that in the land of Tesla, Supercharger are few and far between and most hotels can't charge beyond level 2.

I have never put so much time range planning (and time planning) my routes and so tied to chrage points instead of where I want to go. I ultimately MADE it work but not without dropping some destinations.

And those 2hr wait time at Superchargers on I5 better be urban legends or my 7 he drive may turn into 9+.

Toyota's solid state battery cant come soon enough if EV is the future.
Sep 28, 2003
303 posts
24 upvotes
Xtrema wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 10:27 pm
I know we had some back and forth on this forums on EVs. I am not questioning daily driving where you will be home for 8+ he to charge.

I am probably showing my frustration at my upcoming California trip with 1600miles in a Tesla P85D. I can't believe that in the land of Tesla, Supercharger are few and far between and most hotels can't charge beyond level 2.

I have never put so much time range planning (and time planning) my routes and so tied to chrage points instead of where I want to go. I ultimately MADE it work but not without dropping some destinations.

And those 2hr wait time at Superchargers on I5 better be urban legends or my 7 he drive may turn into 9+.

Toyota's solid state battery cant come soon enough if EV is the future.
The Volt has been great for me so far. It really does get rid of range anxiety or at least I worry less. I would like to make trips without gas but it's nice to fall back on it. IntrepidRT is right that you charge at your destination. However, EVs need to hit a certain minimum to make it viable for a family to transition to using an EV as a primary vehicle. If a family goes on a trip to the cottage, they might not make it in a Leaf depending on how far it is. I know I would feel extreme range anxiety when going to a cottage that is 160km one way. Hopefully, the new Leaf will have enough range to make it comfortable for those weekend road trips. I think Nissan may be relying too much on charging infrastructure being easy to access. People aren't used to hunting for charging stations. There are apps but I think we're all used to seeing road signs pointing to the next gas station and knowing there are plenty around.

California is quite overwhelmed with Teslas (compared to Ontario) and I can believe that their superchargers are crowded. Tesla is making changes to address it by installing more superchargers and charging idle fees. As for locally, they are installing more in Ontario. I know I would like more options when commuting to Toronto during the holidays if I owned a Tesla. As for now, one user in the Tesla subreddit posted his experience in California with a Model X. He managed it but it seems like setting the car to range mode would have made it less stressful. I think your pre-planning will help ease the stress during the trip and I doubt you'll be stranded. The reddit thread also mentions a trip planner that would also help ease your mind.
Sep 1, 2004
742 posts
125 upvotes
Sarc wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 11:42 am
He managed it but it seems like setting the car to range mode would have made it less stressful. I think your pre-planning will help ease the stress during the trip and I doubt you'll be stranded. The reddit thread also mentions a trip planner that would also help ease your mind.
Yeah, I was reading into Supercharger more and the fact that the more cars are at the Supercharger, the slower it charges. I budgeted about 2hr per 200 miles on I5 but wait time may blow that out of water. Ideally I should only need 1 charge between San Diego and San Francisco but I probably drop by every Supercharger along the way to top up to do this 500 miles leg. I really hate my phone hitting 50% battery life, I don't I'll like to have 50% on a car.

They really need to standardize DC Fast charging instead of having a world standard, a NA standard and a Tesla standard. This won't help EVs when every gasoline car uses the same standard.

After all I'm doing a plunge to see how this feels like. I really want an EV once the rebate is same across all provinces or mandated in a Federal level. Right now I can see Ontario is big on it due to the $14K rebate but this make other provinces cold on the idea due to higher than normal depreciation. I'm not going to buy a $40K car in Alberta and immediate take $14K lost on the asset because resell market is being skewed by rebates that happens in other part of the country.
Nov 6, 2011
110 posts
35 upvotes
PORTUGAL COVE-ST PHI…
Xtrema wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 12:17 pm
After all I'm doing a plunge to see how this feels like. I really want an EV once the rebate is same across all provinces or mandated in a Federal level. Right now I can see Ontario is big on it due to the $14K rebate but this make other provinces cold on the idea due to higher than normal depreciation. I'm not going to buy a $40K car in Alberta and immediate take $14K lost on the asset because resell market is being skewed by rebates that happens in other part of the country.
This right here. At this point I'm considering buying a late model used in Quebec or Ontario and have it shipped down.
Sep 1, 2004
742 posts
125 upvotes
sspick wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 1:06 pm
This right here. At this point I'm considering buying a late model used in Quebec or Ontario and have it shipped down.
But I also hate used cars from these 2 provinces with shit load of salt on them every winter.
Nov 6, 2011
110 posts
35 upvotes
PORTUGAL COVE-ST PHI…
Xtrema wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 1:08 pm
But I also hate used cars from these 2 provinces with shit load of salt on them every winter.
Makes to no difference to me. :)
Sep 28, 2003
303 posts
24 upvotes
Xtrema wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 12:17 pm
Yeah, I was reading into Supercharger more and the fact that the more cars are at the Supercharger, the slower it charges. I budgeted about 2hr per 200 miles on I5 but wait time may blow that out of water. Ideally I should only need 1 charge between San Diego and San Francisco but I probably drop by every Supercharger along the way to top up to do this 500 miles leg. I really hate my phone hitting 50% battery life, I don't I'll like to have 50% on a car.

They really need to standardize DC Fast charging instead of having a world standard, a NA standard and a Tesla standard. This won't help EVs when every gasoline car uses the same standard.

Yeah, that part can really suck if there are several other cars at a supercharger station. It's also dependent on how much charge is left in the battery too. It slows down as you top up the battery. I think that will take some getting used to when you have to run the battery down on a road trip so you charge back up faster.

I agree that the prices are quite expensive without a rebate. It isn't affordable at all when looking at the MSRP. The only reason I bought a Volt is because the Ontario rebate makes it so attractive.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
1384 posts
95 upvotes
Can anyone share your lease or purchase price in Ontario? Asked a few dealers but they won't budge much
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
3562 posts
782 upvotes
London ON
Any 2017 models still available? Can only get pre-orders for 2018 around me, no stock and I'm betting the incentives won't apply and base price will be higher for a model with no real changes except model year. With my luck the model year after I buy one will get an improved battery and leave me cursing, but I'm in the market now. Still haven't been able to find one for a test drive!
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"