Hot Deals

[Chevrolet] Hot? 2017 Chevy Volt LT $31,415 OTR after incentives (Ont)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 11:31 am
Sep 8, 2014
504 posts
394 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Two new 2017 Volt are listed on autotrader.ca

Contact those dealers...
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
2578 posts
1044 upvotes
Very happy with my 2017 Volt since purchase May 2017. Used gasoline maybe 3% of the time. For now just the thought that I can go anywhere at a moments notice being it is the only household vehicle made it the only choice right for me.
Jan 8, 2009
586 posts
90 upvotes
Ontario
Weird note on Ontario Eligible Vehicle list - 2018 MY Volts can't get a green plate until 8 September 2017. Wonder why there is such a restriction?
Feb 25, 2007
134 posts
5 upvotes
Thornhill
Martin (deal addict) wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 9:39 am
Weird note on Ontario Eligible Vehicle list - 2018 MY Volts can't get a green plate until 8 September 2017. Wonder why there is such a restriction?
I just got a 2018 and dealer is nice enough to waive the license fee so I can spend the money to swap from blue to green. I am not sure why they don't have green plate until Sept 8.
Jul 9, 2006
807 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
I finally took delivery of my 2017 Volt that I ordered back in April. I'm enjoying the car, but due to the long wait for delivery, I lost the $1000 lease bonus and the residuals dropped quite a bit. Perhaps I should have just ordered a 2018.

In any case, I've had the car for a week and I haven't used any gas yet. I'll get to try the hybrid mode in a couple of weeks when I take the car on a long road trip.

Thanks to 3ajs for sharing his negotiated pricing on the Volt and to the OP!
Sep 9, 2011
53 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
So I want to lease a Chevrolet volt for 36 moths, unfortunately the 2017 models are out of the picture, anyone have any tips on how to negotiate a good price? It seems more difficult to negotiate because of the high demand low supply. Plus i don't know what to expect with the 2018 models
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4225 posts
2077 upvotes
Kitchener
At this point, most people would be best off to compare a 2018 Volt to a 2018 Bolt, a 2018 Leaf (releases in a week), a 2018 e-Golf and a Hyundai Ioniq electric. 99% of my trips can be done on my 24kWh electric Leaf (and I now have 78,000km in a bit over 3 years). Just got back from Florida and the only reasonable EV to take there would be a Volt or a Model 3 (can do it in a Bolt as well, but would be waiting a lot for charging), we don't have either vehicle yet (waiting on small battery Model 3).....so we took our RFD special 2014 Sonata hybrid which averaged about 5.6L/100km on the 4400km trip. Paid about $200 for fuel (which would have cost maybe $30 in a Model 3 at superchargers).
Feb 25, 2007
134 posts
5 upvotes
Thornhill
casey888 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2017 11:44 am
So I want to lease a Chevrolet volt for 36 moths, unfortunately the 2017 models are out of the picture, anyone have any tips on how to negotiate a good price? It seems more difficult to negotiate because of the high demand low supply. Plus i don't know what to expect with the 2018 models
2017 and 2018 are pretty much the same car except it has more color to choose from. I picked up my 2018 in mid Aug and I heard some dealerships outside GTA have some sitting in lot.
Nov 17, 2012
19 posts
2 upvotes
Oakville
2018 Volts are showing up at dealerships now. I'll be leasing one but waiting until October as September residuals are terrible. They start promoting their 2018's in October which is when they boost the residuals. Lease rate likely to remain at 3.9% though.

In terms of discounts on the Volt, you will be lucky to negotiate anything more than $1000 off MSRP. These things don't sit on dealer lots for long, if at all. If you are considering the Bolt (the current EV only range king that isn't a Tesla) pretty much everything coming down the pipe is spoken for, so a custom order wold be required.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1130 posts
259 upvotes
Oakville
Leafhound179 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 9:35 am
2018 Volts are showing up at dealerships now. I'll be leasing one but waiting until October as September residuals are terrible. They start promoting their 2018's in October which is when they boost the residuals. Lease rate likely to remain at 3.9% though.

In terms of discounts on the Volt, you will be lucky to negotiate anything more than $1000 off MSRP. These things don't sit on dealer lots for long, if at all. If you are considering the Bolt (the current EV only range king that isn't a Tesla) pretty much everything coming down the pipe is spoken for, so a custom order wold be required.
I see you are in Oakville. I've been looking to test drive one now for quite a while but nobody has them in stock. I did read in a reddit forum that Budd's got some in but all were sold immediately at MSRP. I've also read that the most you can expect off is $500 if you can find one at another dealer or perhaps factory order.

For those who own or are looking to own:
1) How is visibility? I've read a lot of complaints about large blind spots both forward and back. Yes (rearward) blind spot monitoring can help but nothing beats a good shoulder check (as long as you can see!)
2) Are you worried about the (rumoured) discontinuation of the Volt in 2020?

Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
2329 posts
849 upvotes
Ottawa
qyong wrote:
Jun 28th, 2017 5:33 am
Any one installed the level 2 charger in Ontario? Do you need to put a disconnect switch close to the charger? Or just feed from the panel?
My installer put a disconnect right near the charger, said it was required by code. Was news to me.
Feb 10, 2008
561 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
RETD wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 1:24 pm
I see you are in Oakville. I've been looking to test drive one now for quite a while but nobody has them in stock. I did read in a reddit forum that Budd's got some in but all were sold immediately at MSRP. I've also read that the most you can expect off is $500 if you can find one at another dealer or perhaps factory order.

For those who own or are looking to own:
1) How is visibility? I've read a lot of complaints about large blind spots both forward and back. Yes (rearward) blind spot monitoring can help but nothing beats a good shoulder check (as long as you can see!)
2) Are you worried about the (rumoured) discontinuation of the Volt in 2020?

I just picked up my new 2018 Volt on Saturday. I got lucky and found one the weekend before on the dealer's lot that was a cancelled order so available. And yes, I paid full MSRP...they weren't negotiating at all as it probably could have been sold the next day.

I've only driven it a few days, but you're correct, there does seem to be a bit of a blind spot directly at the back. If you sit up high in the seat, it helps, but I think it's the trunk design or something that partially blocks your rear view. It's not a big deal though, as it's only really noticeable at stop lights when someone is directly behind you. And backing up there is a pretty decent back up camera so it's not an issue. I haven't really noticed anything else blindspot-wise that is different than any other car.

I also seem to lose my bluetooth connection now and then when I plug in the phone to use Android Auto...and the turn signal shaft seems a little on the high side to me. But overall, the car is fantastic. I've only driven about 500 km so far...and used maybe 2 L of gas. I have level 2 charging at work for free so I figure my normal commute will use virtually no gas and charging at home will be minimal (I just use the 110V cord for now). Definitely test drive one if you can find one...the 0-30km/h in the car is amazing and it handles really well. I actually like the feel of the drive on electric power more than when the gas engine kicks in.

I'm just really surprised there aren't more PHEV's with that sweet spot of 80-100km electric range and the gas for longer trips.

Oh...and to answer your second question. If they discontinue the volt, that doesn't bother me in the least. I plan on driving this thing for a long time.
May 5, 2014
1 posts
Toronto
Why is it GM is thinking of cancelling the Volt yet they are hard to find and sell for MSRP? Is it the dealer network deliberately trying to kill this car? Another thing I found is that lease residuals are WHACKED. They are based only on the price AFTER The 14K Ontario bucks. Surely if GM had half a brain they would be using the 14K to push these out on leases. Well they did go bankrupt once so they are probably not that bright. None of the EV or PRHV manufacturers seem willing to offer a decent residual that will make a lease really enticing.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9049 posts
588 upvotes
Mississauga
Hello Volt owners, can you please help a RFD brother out?

My family member is looking for a Volt and was quoted a Cash price of $31,549 Taxes Included (Incentive $15,000) on a 2018 Volt LT

Is this a good deal or can he do lower? Thanks!
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
2578 posts
1044 upvotes
Go for it. With high demand and limited to sometimes no stock (Bolt and Tesla M3) and the increasing awareness of the benefits of EVs I don't think it will get better in the next 12-18 months as long as the government incentives are around.