Hot Deals

[Chevrolet] Hot? 2017 Chevy Volt LT $31,415 OTR after incentives (Ont)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2017 12:44 pm
Aug 30, 2005
208 posts
85 upvotes
Gaggu P wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:05 am
Care to share what you know?..
you will most likely see some SUVs come down the pipe - all electric.
Mar 15, 2009
550 posts
186 upvotes
Ontario
I heard someone post about employee discount. Do we know if it is available on this vehicle?
Mar 15, 2009
550 posts
186 upvotes
Ontario
IntrepidRT wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 7:19 am
Realistically, the Volt should be the #1 car in Ontario in the compact segment. I personally think the Leaf is easily a better value, but the Volt is basically for people who can't fully let go of gas. Toyota should sell basically 0 units of the Prius with the Volt available.
I agree with this.
Feb 6, 2017
169 posts
64 upvotes
The Volt will have competition soon with the Honda Clarity coming to Canada as a PHEV as well at a similar price point. The trend that I'm noticing though is that sales are gravitating towards all electric vehicles since the range is getting a lot better on those i.e. Chevy Bolt and the 2018 Leaf. We're going to see a lot more companies hop onboard in the coming years not to mention the highly anticipated Tesla Model 3.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that the Volt has been a best seller for awhile because of it's innovative concept but there'll be more options to choose from very soon.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
8982 posts
575 upvotes
Mississauga
Natwork wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:59 am
I heard someone post about employee discount. Do we know if it is available on this vehicle?
He must have deleted it after floods of people probably PMed him Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4213 posts
2070 upvotes
Kitchener
HN12345 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:09 pm
The Volt will have competition soon with the Honda Clarity coming to Canada as a PHEV as well at a similar price point. The trend that I'm noticing though is that sales are gravitating towards all electric vehicles since the range is getting a lot better on those i.e. Chevy Bolt and the 2018 Leaf. We're going to see a lot more companies hop onboard in the coming years not to mention the highly anticipated Tesla Model 3.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that the Volt has been a best seller for awhile because of it's innovative concept but there'll be more options to choose from very soon.
The Clarity is a pretty lousy EV from the specs I've seen, almost as terrible as the Prius Prime PHEV. Both awful choices when cars like the Volt and Leaf are out there.
Feb 6, 2017
169 posts
64 upvotes
IntrepidRT wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:25 pm
The Clarity is a pretty lousy EV from the specs I've seen, almost as terrible as the Prius Prime PHEV. Both awful choices when cars like the Volt and Leaf are out there.
The specs are comparable to the Volt actually but is more spacious with a nicer interior imo. But since this is a Volt thread, I'll just leave it at that. To each their own.
Mar 15, 2009
550 posts
186 upvotes
Ontario
radeonboy wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:19 pm
He must have deleted it after floods of people probably PMed him Face With Tears Of Joy
Huh, so if there is employee discount for this vehicle, I will looking into making one my friend now.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4213 posts
2070 upvotes
Kitchener
HN12345 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:28 pm
The specs are comparable to the Volt actually but is more spacious with a nicer interior imo. But since this is a Volt thread, I'll just leave it at that. To each their own.
I guess you're right......maybe I was thinking of the Clarity BEV? Doesn't matter anyways, the Clarity is AUTOMATICALLY going to be $14k higher priced than the Volt (in Ontario) by the time it comes out. Nobody will buy it.
Nov 24, 2003
286 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
I'll chime in as a Volt owner. At this point I agree the Volt should be dominating the higher end compact segment in Ontario, but it really can't compete on price with the really low end low priced compacts. As long as the $14K rebate is there the Volt is a strong value IF you have the right driving profile (which most people do). The Volt is really great to drive in electric mode.

If Toyota sold the Prime in Ontario it would be interesting, the electric range is pretty short, but the gas mileage is better & reliability is better. But, the rebate would probably be in the $8-9K range, so the cost savings would be minor. I'd have had a tough time deciding, but Toyota made the decision for me.

The Clarity PHEV seems very attractive based on size & EV range. I spoke to Honda about it last summer, and they couldn't give me any info on timescale or cost. It should get the same rebate as the Volt, and it won't surprise me if it forces Chevy to drop the price.

I would never have bought the Volt without the rebate, I might have considered it at $10k, but under that probably not.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4213 posts
2070 upvotes
Kitchener
***edited to use new, lower Ontario off-peak rates***

My Leaf real world use is 145Wh/km (driving it like I stole it - actually rated at 137Wh/km). 145Wh/km x 100 km x approx $0.11/kWh (Kitchener off peak rates) = $1.60/100km.

The Volt (being less efficient @ 169Wh/km) uses about $1.86/100km when running on electricity (Kitchener off peak rates).

......almost like I've done the math.

Lots of in depth discussion here: http://gm-volt.com/forum/archive/index. ... 50585.html (keep in mind that those are the old hydro rates before the 25% discounts were applied).
Aug 30, 2005
208 posts
85 upvotes
radeonboy wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:19 pm
lol I didn't delete the post - the mod did. Yes, basically Volt is now eligible for employee pricing. I'll leave it at that lol.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4213 posts
2070 upvotes
Kitchener
Shuja wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 2:04 pm
lol I didn't delete the post - the mod did. Yes, basically Volt is now eligible for employee pricing. I'll leave it at that lol.
I sense that you're a pretty friendly guy and have many friends ;)
Aug 19, 2007
45 posts
15 upvotes
Hi, lots of expertise here around EV, HEV and PHEV, great information, so thanks a lot. My wife was in an accident yesterday and here 2005 Toyota Matrix is likely going to be totaled! We are in the market for a new car :) EVs are out as we do a lot of long drives to places where charging infra in not up to spec as yet. That leaves HEVs and PHEVs!

We would like to take advantage of the ON govt rebates, the problem is most cars have a long waiting period, what are the options apart from the Chevy Volt? I have owned a couple of Chevy's in the past they have been money pits with very poor reliability, is the volt really different or am I going to be spending time at the dealers again :S

We liked the Audi A3 Etron, it is not available till May :(
What about the Ford c max energi?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4213 posts
2070 upvotes
Kitchener
Do not buy the etron, a sad excuse for an EV, the Volt is superior in every way (and available today). Cmax is alright if you don't require any trunk space (it's very very limited). I think the Volt is the only available EREV right now, unless the BMW i3 REX is available (expensive at $50k).

I'm not personally a huge fan of the Volt, but it is the best vehicle for people who can't ditch gas. Pacifica Hybrid is great as well, but limited availability.
Last edited by IntrepidRT on Nov 11th, 2017 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.