Hot Deals

[Chevrolet] Hot? 2017 Chevy Volt LT $31,415 OTR after incentives (Ont)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 11:31 am
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9025 posts
583 upvotes
Mississauga
Hope the wifey is fine physically.

Yes I think under the circumstances, the Volt can be had right now without any waiting. My brother was looking at one not too long ago so definitely for sure know you would be able to take possession of one ASAP.
cwazyy wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 11:30 pm
Hi, lots of expertise here around EV, HEV and PHEV, great information, so thanks a lot. My wife was in an accident yesterday and here 2005 Toyota Matrix is likely going to be totaled! We are in the market for a new car :) EVs are out as we do a lot of long drives to places where charging infra in not up to spec as yet. That leaves HEVs and PHEVs!

We would like to take advantage of the ON govt rebates, the problem is most cars have a long waiting period, what are the options apart from the Chevy Volt? I have owned a couple of Chevy's in the past they have been money pits with very poor reliability, is the volt really different or am I going to be spending time at the dealers again :S

We liked the Audi A3 Etron, it is not available till May :(
What about the Ford c max energi?
Nov 17, 2012
19 posts
2 upvotes
Oakville
Hyundai makes a PHEV Sonata but not sure about availability (or reliability). There is also the Kia Optima and Ford Fusion PHEV. Everything else is coming soon (Prius Prime, Honda Clarity, Hyundai IONIQ) or in a much higher price bracket (BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Volvo, Cadillac).
Nov 11, 2009
329 posts
81 upvotes
Edmonton
I'm so close to picking up the 2017 Volt, but the only base model in my area has like 4k km on it already :(
Nov 24, 2003
287 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
SRG01 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 2:10 pm
I'm so close to picking up the 2017 Volt, but the only base model in my area has like 4k km on it already :(
If I lived in a province without the large govt rebate, I'd look used. Because of the rebates, depreciation in the first year is huge - essentially the car is worth about $12.5k less than MSRP.
Nov 3, 2008
504 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
SRG01 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 2:10 pm
After something like 2k miles, the car isn't considered 'new' anymore and is not qualified to receive the eco rebate. So don't take the car unless the dealer takes the rebate for you.
Mar 11, 2008
149 posts
114 upvotes
London
It's not just because of the rebates. I read an awesome article about this and the big take home message I got from it was "don't think of it as a car, think of it as technology".

Much like computers are better year after year and TVs improve, so does EV technology. You don't expect to recoup your losses for your 5 year old TV. You can't barely give away a 5 year old cellphone (iPhone 4S). Next year's EV will have better range, bigger battery, etc. (If not next year than the year after).

This isn't to say don't buy one. I own a 2017 Volt. But don't expect it to hold resale value.
Nov 11, 2009
329 posts
81 upvotes
Edmonton
kzod wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 3:15 pm
After something like 2k miles, the car isn't considered 'new' anymore and is not qualified to receive the eco rebate. So don't take the car unless the dealer takes the rebate for you.
I'm in Alberta, so we don't get a credit in the first place... but I'm wondering if it's been used as a demo unit. There's no indication of that -- it's clearly in the new vehicle listings.
mrumble wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 3:37 pm
It's not just because of the rebates. I read an awesome article about this and the big take home message I got from it was "don't think of it as a car, think of it as technology".

Much like computers are better year after year and TVs improve, so does EV technology. You don't expect to recoup your losses for your 5 year old TV. You can't barely give away a 5 year old cellphone (iPhone 4S). Next year's EV will have better range, bigger battery, etc. (If not next year than the year after).

This isn't to say don't buy one. I own a 2017 Volt. But don't expect it to hold resale value.
The Volt may not last past 2020 since the Bolt is eating its lunch. On the other hand, the Volt is clearly the better choice for my commute :/
Nov 24, 2003
287 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
The Alberta / no rebate thing is why I suggested looking used. Immediate depreciation is > $10k.
Nov 11, 2009
329 posts
81 upvotes
Edmonton
goathead wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 7:51 pm
The Alberta / no rebate thing is why I suggested looking used. Immediate depreciation is > $10k.
Yup, I agree. No 2016 off-lease models out there right now though.
Feb 13, 2009
198 posts
46 upvotes
montreal, qc
HN12345 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:09 pm
The Volt will have competition soon with the Honda Clarity coming to Canada as a PHEV as well at a similar price point. The trend that I'm noticing though is that sales are gravitating towards all electric vehicles since the range is getting a lot better on those i.e. Chevy Bolt and the 2018 Leaf. We're going to see a lot more companies hop onboard in the coming years not to mention the highly anticipated Tesla Model 3.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that the Volt has been a best seller for awhile because of it's innovative concept but there'll be more options to choose from very soon.
up to now, there is no phev with the mileage volt offers.
everyone is still stuck on gen1 range (40km) while during the summer i get 100+km from my volt. By the time a competitor rolls in, i'll have 3 years living the future under my belt.

As for charging, try charging a 300km vehicle on empty. It's going to take 12-14 hours on 220V... back to 110v charging times the volt was once critisized for.
That's a real obstacle for me during the 15% time period i'm doing a road trip or long weekend journey.

i see this as a great bridge while i wait for hydrogen or solid state batteries with better efficiency to crack the market.
In the mean time, i have only great things to say about my volt and how it completely fits my lifestyle! It has finally beat my 1986 rx7 as favorite car i've ever owned.
Sep 8, 2014
502 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ogcmtl wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:33 pm
As for charging, try charging a 300km vehicle on empty. It's going to take 12-14 hours on 220V... back to 110v charging times the volt was once criticized for
Tesla's charge at 100 kW or approximately 500 km of range added per hour plugged into a supercharger.
Next generation charging will drop charging times dramatically.

Chevy Bolt charges at 50 kW or about 250 km of range per hour.
I think the plug in Volt is a nice bridge for people who can't buy a Bolt.
Feb 13, 2009
198 posts
46 upvotes
montreal, qc
SmartElectric wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 12:48 am
Tesla's charge at 100 kW or approximately 500 km of range added per hour plugged into a supercharger.
Next generation charging will drop charging times dramatically.

Chevy Bolt charges at 50 kW or about 250 km of range per hour.
I think the plug in Volt is a nice bridge for people who can't buy a Bolt.
you have a supercharger at home?
i only have 220V coming into my house.
not sure many houses are equipped with 600V entries.

all is to say we should be comparing apples with apples.. ie charging @220V.

When i mean bridge, there is a toyota mirai here in quebec going to be sold soon that fills up with hydrogen in 3 minutes and gives 500km range.
So i see lots of interesting opportunities coming in 5 years and look at even electric cars only for that time horizon. There was no bolt or tesla 3 when i bought my volt which allowed me to profit from a head start.

when it's time to change in 6 years, we'll see what lays ahead.
Last edited by ogcmtl on Nov 15th, 2017 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
4220 posts
2071 upvotes
Kitchener
SRG01 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 4:25 pm
I'm in Alberta, so we don't get a credit in the first place... but I'm wondering if it's been used as a demo unit. There's no indication of that -- it's clearly in the new vehicle listings.

The Volt may not last past 2020 since the Bolt is eating its lunch. On the other hand, the Volt is clearly the better choice for my commute :/
What the hell kind of commute do you have that you can't get there and back on 380km (conservatively rated) in the Bolt (without having access to a plug)??? I have a 30+ minute each direction commute in my 24kWh Leaf without access to a plug at work and it's been AWESOME, will never use gasoline again.

Everyone should also keep in mind that the Volt is NOT a PHEV, it's an EREV. EREV is essentially an electric car with a generator where a PHEV is a gas car with an electric motor. The Extended Range Electric Vehicle is easily superior to a Plugin Hybrid Electric Vehicle in driving dynamics, efficiency and reliability.

Largest issue with the Volt is the slow 3.6kW onboard charger, everyone else's EV's are using 6.6kW or 7.2kW. Public charging is generally limited to 5.8kW (208V three phase power). My Leaf charges in 3 hours flat at home but takes a bit longer at public charging stations.
Aug 18, 2013
116 posts
43 upvotes
NCR
IntrepidRT wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 12:28 pm
What the hell kind of commute do you have that you can't get there and back on 380km (conservatively rated) in the Bolt (without having access to a plug)??? I have a 30+ minute each direction commute in my 24kWh Leaf without access to a plug at work and it's been AWESOME, will never use gasoline again.

Everyone should also keep in mind that the Volt is NOT a PHEV, it's an EREV. EREV is essentially an electric car with a generator where a PHEV is a gas car with an electric motor. The Extended Range Electric Vehicle is easily superior to a Plugin Hybrid Electric Vehicle in driving dynamics, efficiency and reliability.

Largest issue with the Volt is the slow 3.6kW onboard charger, everyone else's EV's are using 6.6kW or 7.2kW. Public charging is generally limited to 5.8kW (208V three phase power).
Actually the new Volt is more like a hybrid where the gas engine powers the car once the battery has been depleted.
Sep 8, 2014
502 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ogcmtl wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 12:24 pm
you have a supercharger at home?
i only have 220V coming into my house....
toyota mirai here in quebec going to be sold soon that fills up with hydrogen in 3 minutes and gives 500km range.
Closest Tesla supercharger is 5 minutes from my home.
You live in Montreal, so there are already 5 superchargers either built or currently in construction as per :
https://supercharge.info

My point is that you bought a Volt, good on you, but the slow 240V charging of the Volt limits the trips you can do all-electric, whereas we've got 100,000 km in 4 years on our Tesla, and one third of that is supercharged long distance trips, one of which we went past Montreal to Saguenay from Toronto.

Hydrogen is a false dream. Fuel price and lack of convenience (can't refuel at home like my EV) are obviously why it fails today, and will not succeed long term.