Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Chevrolet

Hot? 2017 Chevy Volt LT $31,415 OTR after incentives (Ont)

• Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2021 8:08 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
3543 posts
2128 upvotes
Xtrema wrote: Volt will eventually have a resell value of 0 where a Prius with a dead battery is at least worth a couple thousands.
A working PRIUS is a slug even with the electric motor assisting the ICE. I can't even imagine what it's like driving one without any electric motor assist yet still having the dead weight of the useless battery and electric motor.
RFD Admins All Drive Teslas. You should Too!
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
4206 posts
1749 upvotes
Montreal
Xtrema wrote: Volt will eventually have a resell value of 0 where a Prius with a dead battery is at least worth a couple thousands.
Yes, but that "eventually" could be a long time from now. The warranty may be 8 years, but most experts expect the battery packs to last considerably longer. After 8+ years I'm pretty sure your savings will more than offset the (non-existent) residual value. I've never received a $2k trade-in from any 8 yo car I've owned, so it seems unlikely to me that anyone would pay that amount for a Prius with a battery that needs replacing. Would you?
Jan 17, 2003
620 posts
68 upvotes
BC
30k for an electric car? screw that! Buy a new kia or something for 15k and that leaves you with a 15,000 gas budget and no increase in your hydro bill.
until these Electric cars are at or near the price of a gas car there is no point.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21389 posts
23729 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Boodie wrote: 30k for an electric car? screw that! Buy a new kia or something for 15k and that leaves you with a 15,000 gas budget and no increase in your hydro bill.
until these Electric cars are at or near the price of a gas car there is no point.
Too bad you left the part out where the Kia drives like ass and it's about as basic as you can go. All these electric cars are packed with tech and drives way better. I'll spend he extra $15k and actually enjoy a car instead of dreading it.
Deal Guru
Dec 17, 2001
11723 posts
4919 upvotes
St-Fabien de Panet, …
Kkhan15 wrote: Do we really save by getting electric over gas considering the cost of hydro? Also the cost for what you get on these cars are ridiculous.
You can always recharge at restaurants etc which have free charging stations. That's what a true RFDer would do.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
3735 posts
3498 upvotes
bug wrote: You can always recharge at restaurants etc which have free charging stations. That's what a true RFDer would do.
Or "borrow" the electricity from your neighbours using carefully hidden extensions cords laid in the dark of night....
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
bug wrote: You can always recharge at restaurants etc which have free charging stations. That's what a true RFDer would do.
Don't forget a true RFDer will likely go inside the restaurant and ask for plain water. He is now a customer and his EV will not be at risk of being towed.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
3543 posts
2128 upvotes
Boodie wrote: 30k for an electric car? screw that! Buy a new kia or something for 15k and that leaves you with a 15,000 gas budget and no increase in your hydro bill.
You conveniently left out the sheer fact that the increase in your electrical bill is a fraction of your old gasoline bills.
Dec 17, 2005
23 posts
4 upvotes
Brampton
I think if the final cost is about $27k to $28k OTR, this is really good deal. Assuming the total cost of owing this car over the 8 years will be around $30k, including the gas, hydro and maintenance, it will break down to less than 3700/year.

I own a 2010 civic sport which I got in a good bargain. Even with its high resale value, the actual cost is still higher than that. Not to mention the convenience such as using the HOV or preferred parking...
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
Kkhan15 wrote: Do we really save by getting electric over gas considering the cost of hydro?
well, the major cost gain is *supposed* to be in virtually no-cost upkeep and repairs as an electric engine is *supposed* to be bulletproof compared to a corrosive gas engine, but that was why they got rid of electric cars during the test phase in the mid-1990's (dealers make all their money on oil changes, warranty support and repairs), so I can only assume the parts now have built-in-breakage designed in.

if you get a chance to watch Who Killed the Electric Car? please do so, as it's quite eye-opening.

Who Killed the Electric Car? is a 2006 documentary film that explores the creation, limited commercialization, and subsequent destruction of the battery electric vehicle in the United States, specifically the General Motors EV1 of the mid-1990s.
Banned
Mar 23, 2008
162 posts
112 upvotes
How many liters of gas does a 1.5l engine burn to go 50kms?....... 2-3 liters at the most. So around $3 in gas
The volt takes 8hrs to charge on 110v....How much electricity are you using to charge the volt for 8hrs? $1???
What is the savings per 8hrs charge...aprox $2??? Two of my friends have them and I don't get what the savings is, besides charging for free at work!!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7006 posts
6858 upvotes
Ottawa
Peanut2004 wrote: How many liters of gas does a 1.5l engine burn to go 50kms?....... 2-3 liters at the most. So around $3 in gas
The volt takes 8hrs to charge on 110v....How much electricity are you using to charge the volt for 8hrs? $1???
What is the savings per 8hrs charge...aprox $2??? Two of my friends have them and I don't get what the savings is, besides charging for free at work!!
Maybe this deal isn't for you then.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10275 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
Peanut2004 wrote: How many liters of gas does a 1.5l engine burn to go 50kms?....... 2-3 liters at the most. So around $3 in gas
ONLY 8 hours on 110? DOUBT IT. 16 hours is much more accurate. 220 is DEFINITELY the way to go, unfortunately GM only put a 3.6kW charger in the Volt so it takes 4 hours to charge when it should only take 2 hours.
Volt range is nearly 100km from full. You'd save about $6 or $7 a day in fuel minus the $1 in electricity to charge it. So let's say you save $5 a day x 365 days = approximately $1500 a year in gas savings x 10 years = $15,000 in gas savings over 10 years. I mean, you just do some easy math and you find out that buying a $26k Volt (and ALWAYS charging at home) ends up cheaper than a base model Nissan Micra in 10 years. There are only a few cars that are cheaper - Smart Fortwo E (definitely not for everyone), Mitsubishi iMiev (glorified golf cart), Nissan Leaf (a real car but with limited range).

The other thing we forget here is that the Volt is a pretty nice car and competes against pretty loaded compact cars which retail around $30k. So you get a car for $26k that will save you money every day vs something similar that costs more to start with.
Nov 16, 2005
735 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
Even if they have to commute long distances most people are not doing it every day. As someone who used to commute 170km 5 days a week trust me when I tell you they are unlikely to plan long trips on all of their days off.
You are basing 10 year payback on 36,500 km per year when average mileage is closer to 24,000. This brings the payback to around 15 years. You will likely also have to replace the battery pack during that time extending payback even further. Unless they also change the way they make the rest of the vehicle you will likely be be suffering from rust long before you reach payback. Not to mention all other components in the car that have nothing to do with the power train. How long till the Bluetooth won't connect to your new phone or you can't get updated maps for your gpsSmiling Face With Open Mouth
15 years is a long time to keep a car. Look around and see how many people you know that keep cars that long. Most people will be trading them in long before they have reached payback so the important thing is what will the residual value be of a used electric car. I suspect people buying a$10,000 used car are unlikely to buy a home charging system so no quick charges for them. That alone makes it a more difficult sell in the used market. Batteries 3/4 of the way to projected eol. What does this do to value? Who is going to want a used electric car?
Buying now only makes financial sense if you believe there will be no big improvements in electric car technologies over the next 10-15 years. A substantial changes in battery life, charging speed or miles you can get on a charge will result in the value of your current car dropping. At which point you will either take the loss to get the extra features or soldier on with the old technology.
I hope this doesn't stop anyone from buying one of these. The rest of us need you early adopters out there beta testing for us and driving the improvement needed for these to become financially viable Winking Face There is nothing wrong with wanting an electric car but don't try to say they make financial sense yet.
Apr 9, 2016
118 posts
123 upvotes
sLAsh wrote: There is nothing wrong with wanting an electric car but don't try to say they make financial sense yet.
All good points. I don't see any PHEV that makes financial sense - for my commuting at least. Although the running and servicing costs look good, the depreciation from new is just way too great.
That said I think some of the smaller EVs such as the Leaf and Focus are looking attractive. At 32k-ish MSRP, then with 14k provincial rebate, a few Manufacturer rebates and a bit of a dealer discount from MSRP, you're approaching 20k out of the door, taxes in.
As a commuter car, that is close to working for me. Lease rates would approach the average fuel saving and If there's a bigger year end discount ever (3k or so), or if there are more incentives such as no HST as ON is promising, then I think it's a no brainer.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
12640 posts
6013 upvotes
IntrepidRT wrote: The other thing we forget here is that the Volt is a pretty nice car and competes against pretty loaded compact cars which retail around $30k. So you get a car for $26k that will save you money every day vs something similar that costs more to start with.
I agree - Volts are pretty loaded for small cars. The price is not bad at all when you consider that.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2008
2690 posts
1741 upvotes
Home
"There is nothing wrong with wanting an electric car but don't try to say they make financial sense yet."

The volt clearly makes financial sense (lower lifetime ownership cost) compared to any $30K gas only. This should be evident without thinking about it too hard. All things equal, the fuel cost alone will make it a lot cheaper to own at an average annual mileage, this should be self evident. Is it cheaper to own than a Micra? maybe not. It is also not cheaper to own vs a used 5 yr old beige corolla. It depends what you're comparing it to. What comparable car under 30K does it not make make financial sense? The fuel savings per year is about $1500 (1509.7 to be exact) assuming charging rate of 12c/kwh and fuel cost of 1.05 cents/litre, 7.5 l/100km fuel consumption in reasonably efficient gas car , EPA rated 85km (53 miles) per 11.2 kwhr charge in the volt, 24 500 km per year. Fuel cost for volt/yr is $420 and gas car/yr is $1930. Compound the difference at whatever the rate is that you would have applied that money to (debt % or investment %) for car lifetime of 10-20 yrs and its quite substantial. It hard to see how any but the cheapest new cars can compete in terms of $.
Fizz Mobile $ 4.80 USA CAN 45 GB
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
^ Good point.

Which cars are you comparing an EV against that has at least 7.5 L/100 km, fun to drive, similar features, low maintenance costs on ICE and tranny after the warranty ends (well Tesla charges an arm and leg and it calls the services revenue neutral) that won't increase that gap? I'm in Ontario so I factor in that $14k incentive. With CAFE, fuel economy is improving, likely at the expense of long-term reliability.

In five year's time, we can compare prices for used EVs with 300+ km ranges to the same ICE vehicles and see if EV depreciation is still as bad, which I am doubting if batteries can be replaced at minimal labor cost.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
3543 posts
2128 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: ^ Good point.

Which cars are you comparing an EV against that has at least 7.5 L/100 km, fun to drive, similar features, low maintenance costs on ICE and tranny after the warranty ends (well Tesla charges an arm and leg and it calls the services revenue neutral) that won't increase that gap? I'm in Ontario so I factor in that $14k incentive. With CAFE, fuel economy is improving, likely at the expense of long-term reliability.

In five year's time, we can compare prices for used EVs with 300+ km ranges to the same ICE vehicles and see if EV depreciation is still as bad, which I am doubting if batteries can be replaced at minimal labor cost.
Significant EV depreciation will be dramatically reduced when the incentive money stops flowing.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Redscott wrote: Significant EV depreciation will be dramatically reduced when the incentive money stops flowing.
True because with a used EV, you are saving $1500/year over a regular ICE vehicle and you probably eventually save enough to cover the used purchase price.