• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2017 1:13 pm
Tags:
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
14530 posts
1521 upvotes
Montreal
How does the i3 handle winter? What with it being RWD and all? I managed pretty well this week in the Volt.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2227 posts
258 upvotes
Hamilton
mr_raider wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 9:49 am
How does the i3 handle winter? What with it being RWD and all? I managed pretty well this week in the Volt.
With snow tires on it's been excellent. I was curious at first but had driven some RWD cars years back occasionally in the winter.

Gotta say, after driving only FWD cars for the past 15+ years I'm really enjoying RWD (and rear motor) with this car.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
37011 posts
7481 upvotes
Is this pre-conditioning limited to Tesla or do other EV's have this too?

Is that a nice sounding terminology that just mean turning the heat on while still plugged in?
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
22784 posts
4667 upvotes
GTHA
alanbrenton wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 5:39 pm

Is that a nice sounding terminology that just mean turning the heat on while still plugged in?
Other EVs have it.

The bolt has 'Remote Vehicle Starter System' that cools or pre-warms the interior when the vehicle is plugged in.

http://www.chevrolet.ca/configurator/DD ... etail.html
Deal Addict
May 26, 2002
1728 posts
264 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 7:15 pm
Other EVs have it.

The bolt has 'Remote Vehicle Starter System' that cools or pre-warms the interior when the vehicle is plugged in.

http://www.chevrolet.ca/configurator/DD ... etail.html
I think the poster was asking about preconditioning as it relates to the battery not so much the interior. As far as I'm aware I don't think any of the other manufacturer mentions the battery preconditioning.

As earlier poster said the ideal with battery preconditioning is so in colder weather the battery temperature will be optimal by the time you start driving and you don't lose as much range due to the cold. Probably most effective for longer commutes as the energy used to precondition the battery may not cover the efficiency gain for shorter commutes.

-LeeBear
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
22784 posts
4667 upvotes
GTHA
LeeBear wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 7:39 pm
I think the poster was asking about preconditioning as it relates to the battery not so much the interior. As far as I'm aware I don't think any of the other manufacturer mentions the battery preconditioning.

As earlier poster said the ideal with battery preconditioning is so in colder weather the battery temperature will be optimal by the time you start driving and you don't lose as much range due to the cold. Probably most effective for longer commutes as the energy used to precondition the battery may not cover the efficiency gain for shorter commutes.

-LeeBear
afaik, some EV's use the heater to warm the high voltage battery and interior

The BMW i3 has pre-conditioning...

BMW i3: Understanding How Preconditioning Works
https://transportevolved.com/2015/01/03 ... explained/
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
37011 posts
7481 upvotes
what's this deal about heat pumps, are only Tesla S and X that have this heating system that is efficient in warming cabin temperatures up?

Or does the Bolt have this too?
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
22784 posts
4667 upvotes
GTHA
alanbrenton wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 7:58 pm
what's this deal about heat pumps, are only Tesla S and X that have this heating system that is efficient in warming cabin temperatures up?

Nissan Leaf has a heat pump system..

"A heat-pump system, heats the cabin using the temperature difference between a refrigerant and the outside air, obtaining a heating effect other than consuming electricity, and making it possible to heat the car cabin with less power than conventionally."
http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOL ... eater.html

The Kia Soul EV also utilizes a heat pump...

"the standard heat pump utilizes waste heat from the car’s own power electronics to further your energy savings. "
http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/soul-ev/2016/tech

No, the Bolt does not currently have a 'heat pump'
http://pushevs.com/electric-vehicles/el ... t-bolt-ev/
Last edited by tk1000 on Mar 19th, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1183 posts
388 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote:

2015 and newer LEAFs having heating pumps and if I remember correctly so does the Bolt.

Sorry my bad it's 2013 LEAF with HP. And no for the Bolt.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
6678 posts
1935 upvotes
ON
LeeBear wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 7:39 pm

-LeeBear
All GM EVs maintain the battery in proper range automatically while plugged in and when vehicle is on. No need to trigger it in any way.
Preconditioning with mention of bolt would be a remote start to heat or cool the cabin.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2227 posts
258 upvotes
Hamilton
alanbrenton wrote:

alanbrenton wrote:

Pretty sure most EVs have some form of pre-conditioning for the batteries. I know my i3 does.

I think some EVs utilize a heat pump as well. My i3 BEV has a heat pump, but I believe that the i3 with range extender does not (as the space is occupied by the small generator that is used for extending range).
Nov 4, 2008
241 posts
119 upvotes
GTA
alanbrenton wrote:

My Volvo XC90 T8 PHEV has this as well. Yes warms or cools down the car while plugged in to 240V.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
6678 posts
1935 upvotes
ON
joey003 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 8:14 am
Pretty sure most EVs have some form of pre-conditioning for the batteries. I know my i3 does.

I think some EVs utilize a heat pump as well. My i3 BEV has a heat pump, but I believe that the i3 with range extender does not (as the space is occupied by the small generator that is used for extending range).
Correct - this is also why the i3 Rex has a poorer EV range rating despite the same size of battery - it's not all due to added mass of the engine. Some of it also comes from less efficient heating. (the heat from the engine cannot be used in the cabin, it was not designed that way)
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
2427 posts
162 upvotes
Mississauga
In the driveway finally. I hope the dealer addresses my concerns, a few paint chips I have found am attempting to resolve. The car looks fabulous on the inside, don't expect expensive finishings but the tech looks great, dash looks great feels good.

Bolt...
Banned
Jan 10, 2016
175 posts
80 upvotes
Newmarket
Saw this at the car show hoping to buy one. Has the cheapest 'toy' interior I have ever seen. Guess all the $ went into the batteries and make the car electric. Now, if someone could make a car like the 2017 Honda CR-V Touring, which I bought, that was electric at a similar price that would be extremely successful. Tesla is rumoured to be introducing a hatchback version of the Model 3 in 2020-22 which might come close.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel