• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2018 8:44 am
Tags:
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
3190 posts
361 upvotes
Scarborough
It's nice that EVs are popping up but most of them are econoboxes. I'd love to drive a bigger EV/phev. For example, the Malibu would be perfect as a plug in hybrid. But for now GM only has the volt (Cruz body) and bolt (Sonic body).
Jul 4, 2017
122 posts
138 upvotes
blaznazn22 wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 10:04 pm
It's nice that EVs are popping up but most of them are econoboxes. I'd love to drive a bigger EV/phev. For example, the Malibu would be perfect as a plug in hybrid. But for now GM only has the volt (Cruz body) and bolt (Sonic body).
There are quite a few larger choices: Sonata PHEV, Optima PHEV, Fusion Energi, Pacifica Hybrid, various BMWs.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1461 posts
268 upvotes
Mississauga
yeah, all the BEVs are econoboxes. Is Model S the only midsize BEV on the market?
Sep 21, 2004
9375 posts
3024 upvotes
Calgary
aximrocks wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 3:42 pm
yeah, all the BEVs are econoboxes. Is Model S the only midsize BEV on the market?
Yes. The only one that is mass produced, anyway. There is no 5 class, A6, Camry BEV on the market.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1939 posts
1000 upvotes
Toronto
aximrocks wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 3:42 pm
Hyundai IonIQ EV would be a midsize BEV. The Model S would be more class as a full size car.
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
292 upvotes
Midland
Pretty small though.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1461 posts
268 upvotes
Mississauga
some1not wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2017 9:33 pm
Hyundai IonIQ EV would be a midsize BEV. The Model S would be more class as a full size car.
ioniq is a midsize? it’s listed under the compact category on hyundai website.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_classification

Compact: bolt, focus, egolf, leaf, i3, ioniq, soul, model 3, civic, corolla, mazda 3
midsize: model s, camry, accord, fusion, passat, bmw 5xx
full size: taurus, avalon, impala, bmw 7xx
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1939 posts
1000 upvotes
Toronto
aximrocks wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2017 11:53 pm
ioniq is a midsize? it’s listed under the compact category on hyundai website.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_classification

Compact: bolt, focus, egolf, leaf, i3, ioniq, soul, model 3, civic, corolla, mazda 3
midsize: model s, camry, accord, fusion, passat, bmw 5xx
full size: taurus, avalon, impala, bmw 7xx
I was going by what the sales guy told me and it is bigger than my LEAF which is a compact car. If i had to compare the LEAF, IonIQ, Model S, LEAF would be compact, IonIQ midsize and the S a fullsize car.
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Jul 4, 2017
122 posts
138 upvotes
Depends on how midsize is defined. If you go by EPA size class, the Ioniq is midsize, as is the 2016 Civic.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
1312 posts
259 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
The point of BEV is ultra save with obvious and outright compromise in range and size.
Battery are bulky, expensive and heavy, and to drive larger vehicle will need to better everything up and still facing same problem of range and size.

What's the point by offering BEV, but let efficiency to be only maybe twice better than gas car.
<No political content in signatures>
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
348 upvotes
The ford focus is 4390mm long and 1823mm wide, the ioniq is 4450mm long and 1820mm wide. By size it should fall into compact segment
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2641 upvotes
ON
some1not wrote:
Sep 24th, 2017 7:45 am

I was going by what the sales guy told me and it is bigger than my LEAF which is a compact car. If i had to compare the LEAF, IonIQ, Model S, LEAF would be compact, IonIQ midsize and the S a fullsize car.
Breezinga wrote:
Sep 24th, 2017 7:54 am
Depends on how midsize is defined. If you go by EPA size class, the Ioniq is midsize, as is the 2016 Civic.
LoveRFD wrote:
Sep 24th, 2017 9:10 am
The ford focus is 4390mm long and 1823mm wide, the ioniq is 4450mm long and 1820mm wide. By size it should fall into compact segment
Classifications for compact/midsize are based on interior volume, despite what the exterior dimensions may be.
Many BEVs are optimized for battery packaging and have less things intruding into the cabin so with exterior dimensions the same as ICE counterpart, it may qualify as one class up.
Focus would not fit this category as it is a poorly optimized BEV, it's just the ICE shell with batteries shoehorned in wherever they'll fit (it has less interior space than the ICE version)
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
348 upvotes
aqnd wrote:
Sep 24th, 2017 6:19 pm
Classifications for compact/midsize are based on interior volume, despite what the exterior dimensions may be.
Many BEVs are optimized for battery packaging and have less things intruding into the cabin so with exterior dimensions the same as ICE counterpart, it may qualify as one class up.
Focus would not fit this category as it is a poorly optimized BEV, it's just the ICE shell with batteries shoehorned in wherever they'll fit (it has less interior space than the ICE version)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Ioniq
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45166 posts
11686 upvotes
Besides the lack of ACC, what other sought after feature is lacking on the 2017 Bolt and will those be included in the 2018 top of the line trim?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2641 upvotes
ON
And?
Here's another wikipedia page that tells you that Canadian classification of 3115-3400L is "mid-size car"
And the specs for ionic BEV say 3375L interior volume.
You can call it whatever you like (as whoever made the wikipedia page did). But the exterior dimensions do not determine the vehicle class - it's interior volume.
Leaf is also mid-size.