Tags:
None
Oct 30, 2012
176 posts
15 upvotes

Chevy Cruze 2014 Vs Mazda 3 2014

Which is better choice to buy

Chevy Cruze 2014 or Mazda 3 2014

Mazda is great 20km/lt... Chevy is equally good. Chevy looks bigger and better design.

Any suggestions
37 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7805 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
You should probably preface your post with a bit of detail on what you like/are looking for in a car.

The Cruze has more rear passenger legroom, but less utility due to the lack of hatch. The Mazda has superior fuel economy, acceleration and driving dynamics. For its 2015 re-design, the Chevy is also adopting a similar wndow rake as the Civic, so if you do not like that kind of design you may want to avoid it.

In general, the Mazda has better utility, fuel economy and is more of a driver's car. The Chevrolet appears to be a more comfortable cruisers. I would suggest test driving both vehicles in the trim you are looking at and deciding afterwards.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
unshavenyak wrote: You should probably preface your post with a bit of detail on what you like/are looking for in a car.

The Cruze has more rear passenger legroom, but less utility due to the hatch. The Mazda has superior fuel economy, acceleration and driving dynamics. For it's 2014 re-design, the Chevy is also adopting a similar wndow rake as the Civic, so if you do not like that kind of design you may want to avoid it.
Cruze is not a hatchback? And doesn't a hatchback offer more utility anyway?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21265 posts
6248 upvotes
Poormond Hill
unshavenyak wrote: You should probably preface your post with a bit of detail on what you like/are looking for in a car.

The Cruze has more rear passenger legroom, but less utility due to the hatch. The Mazda has superior fuel economy, acceleration and driving dynamics. For it's 2014 re-design, the Chevy is also adopting a similar wndow rake as the Civic, so if you do not like that kind of design you may want to avoid it.

In general, the Mazda has better utility, fuel economy and is more of a driver's car. The Chevrolet appears to be a more comfortable cruisers. I would suggest test driving both vehicles in the trim you are looking at and deciding afterwards.
Chevy Cruze redesign for 2014?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
We have a 2012 cruze. It has been reliable with no issues other than scheduled recalls. Once you drive the other cars in this segment, it becomes clear why the cruze is the preferred choice. Everything else drives like a noisy tin can.

The 2011 Mazda with the old engine came close to the cruse for road manners and handling. But the interior sucked big time. My guess is the 2014 is improved. The new engines may also have improved the car hopefully, because the old 2.0 was a gutless wonder.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1982 posts
659 upvotes
South Western Ontari…
sandikosh wrote: Chevy Cruze redesign for 2014?
2015 model coming out next fall probably
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19151 posts
9079 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
mr_raider wrote: We have a 2012 cruze. It has been reliable with no issues other than scheduled recalls. Once you drive the other cars in this segment, it becomes clear why the cruze is the preferred choice. Everything else drives like a noisy tin can.

The 2011 Mazda with the old engine came close to the cruse for road manners and handling. But the interior sucked big time. My guess is the 2014 is improved. The new engines may also have improved the car hopefully, because the old 2.0 was a gutless wonder.
Your post is far, far outdated... The new Mazda 3 2.0 engine is the SkyACTIV variant with a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold, making it more powerful than the 2.0 SkyACTIV engine without it due to its flatter power curve. The 2.0L engine in the 2011 Mazda 3 is indeed a gutless wonder, just like the Toyota Corolla.

How is the Cruze when it comes to comfort and fuel economy? If I remember correctly, it's super heavy and has a hard time achieving the US EPA ratings, unlike the Mazda 3 SkyACTIV engines. And isn't the Cruze like 500 lbs heavier than the Mazda 3? How's the ride?
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
421 upvotes
Toronto
Mazda3 has more finess and class.. Chevy is well a Chevy.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: We have a 2012 cruze. It has been reliable with no issues other than scheduled recalls. Once you drive the other cars in this segment, it becomes clear why the cruze is the preferred choice. Everything else drives like a noisy tin can.

The 2011 Mazda with the old engine came close to the cruse for road manners and handling. But the interior sucked big time. My guess is the 2014 is improved.
The interior? Not so much. The design is better (I didn't the old design was bad anyway) but the materials still look pretty chintzy IMO.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
eddymurphy wrote: Which is better choice to buy

Mazda is great 20km/lt... Chevy is equally good. Chevy looks bigger and better design.

Any suggestions
Quite simply, the one that makes you feel best when you test drive them the way you normally drive.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
2031 posts
575 upvotes
m4r 1k8
Saw the 2014 mazda3 on the streets ... Must say it was quite ugly ... I don't know the interior but you gotta be careful with mazda ... You know ... The rust issue ...
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2006
2069 posts
80 upvotes
eddymurphy wrote: Which is better choice to buy

Any suggestions
20km/L ??? Seems a bit optimistic. Prolly get that with just highway driving.
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither" - Benjamin Franklin.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
ed116 wrote: you gotta be careful with mazda ... You know ... The rust issue ...
For sure. I've probably said this in every MY14 Mazda3 thread but I would wait for the Mexican made ones before buying. Really don't trust the ones coming from Hofu, given the track record.
Oct 30, 2012
176 posts
15 upvotes
ed116 wrote: Saw the 2014 mazda3 on the streets ... Must say it was quite ugly ... I don't know the interior but you gotta be careful with mazda ... You know ... The rust issue ...
I was thinking the same, looks like a big ant with 4 tires
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11294 posts
6292 upvotes
Ontario
Gammatron wrote: Mazda3 has more finess and class.. Chevy is well a Chevy.
Class? Mazda 3 really? This is bottom of the barrel
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3531 posts
642 upvotes
Corktown
Cruze Diesel.

4.2 L/100 km (67 mpg) - Highway

or

23.8 km/L. ;-)
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19151 posts
9079 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
The Mazda 3 bashing didn't take long... Good ol RFD. Never fails to disappoint.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
fastlayne wrote: Cruze Diesel.

Now THAT, when I saw it first advertised, made the Cruze really interesting. I like the regular Cruze for what it is - feels good on the road. But 264lb/ft torque on the diesel version. Definitely interesting.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2583 posts
798 upvotes
Toronto
OP..the Cruze is a quiet highway cruiser. If you take a number of road trips during the year, this might be important to you. If you are only doing city driving..then not so important.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2007
1224 posts
92 upvotes
geokilla wrote: The Mazda 3 bashing didn't take long... Good ol RFD. Never fails to disappoint.
I saw one of the new Mazda 3 hatchbacks on the road the other day. I really liked it. I thought the backend looked like a squished CUV (CX-5, BMW X1, etc), while the front end looked a bit long like a BMW, a bit.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)