Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1237 posts
4 upvotes
usa

Chicken stuffed with glutinous rice

Does anyone know of any Chinese restaurant that serve the whole fried boneless chicken stuffed with glutinous rice? We had it at Maple Yip last summer, and want yo try somewhere else this summer. I checked the menu from several restaurants, but didn't see it.
17 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
17422 posts
3165 upvotes
Toronto
Haha! That was a major rip off there, wasn't it!
Nov 23, 2012
337 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
Yes I am sure I haven't seen this dish in China in Cantonese restaurant either. If you like it, just go back to Maple Yip if you only eat it once a year.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1237 posts
4 upvotes
usa
I don't remember how much we paid, but would think it was like $40+. I wouldn't really say it's a rip off. I don't mind paying extra for something I really want and esp since we don't have it where we live. I want to go somewhere else this summer bc Maple Yip is kind of old, and I personally prefer cleaner and more modern places. Doesnt have to be very upscale and all, but not as dated as Maple Yip.

We ordered the braised grouper belly or tail from there and it was good. It's also bc Chinese restaurants here doesn't serve this dish.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
17422 posts
3165 upvotes
Toronto
^ if you go back to Maple Yip, make sure you triple check your bill before paying. They may overhcharge (esp. if it was many dishes involved). Happened to my friend last winter (Chinese NY). She went home and tried to figure out the total bill and could not understand why it came to so much more (as she had previously asked the restaurant to quote her the price for those special dishes). She figured she was overcharged by about $50 easily.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1237 posts
4 upvotes
usa
I heard Ocean Seafood Restaurant at Golden Plaza have this chicken. Can anyone confirm?
Dec 16, 2015
570 posts
196 upvotes
Whole chicken deboned and fried bagged in glutonious rice???

Aug 16, 2009
626 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
This dish is tasty and I had it at Maple Yip as well. Wouldn't mind knowing if there are other locations!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1237 posts
4 upvotes
usa
I've seen another restaurant on Yelp that have this dish, but slightly different. At Maple Yip, it's a whole chicken. From the pics at other restaurant, it looks like they cut the chicken in half and deboned it. Then roll the glutinous rice in 2 rolls. At least that's how it looks like it was served, so I guess that's how they made it. Maybe couldn't debone a whole chicken.
Aug 16, 2009
626 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
From the links provided by Dogwater, it looks like Grand Lake and Elegant Chinese Cuisine has it. Will have to check it out some time....
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9994 posts
519 upvotes
Maple yip is old looking but IMO its the best still
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
3425 posts
330 upvotes
Toronto
My mom went to dinner and told me about this dish. She went to this restaurant on the NE corner of McCowan and Hwy 7. I forget the restaurant name, it is closer to where the Harveys is/was.

If you're facing Congee Queen, it is located to the left side in the other plaza. I think it is called Golden Duke.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel