[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1564 posts
530 upvotes
Toronto

Child door lock safety with no one sitting in the front and keyfob in the car

TL;DL:
- XC90: 2nd row: front facing car seat installed in the middle and rear facing car seat in the right seat.
- Electronic Child door locks activated on both left And right rear doors. There are no manual mechanical independent child door locks for each left and right rear door (source: Volvo owner's manual)
- Front row: seat adjusters, door handles, and lock/window controls cannot be reached from the 2nd row.

- OP enters 2nd row left seat to buckle child in middle front facing car seat and left rear door swings closed (tight garage).
- Both rear doors and rear windows cannot be opened with the OPs key fob in-hand when the child door locks are activated (source: Volvo owners manual.)
- OP uses cell phone to call someone in the house to open the doors from the outside.

- Many posting how easy it is to climb from the 2nd row to the front row seats in their own car.

2016+ Volvo XC90 Escape Challenge from 2nd row to front row seats:
- OP open challenge for an average male build to video record their successful climb from the 2nd row to the front row in any 2016+ XC90 (other than the OP's) . OP to donate $100 to the successful escapee's charity of choice.
- PM the OP directly to accept the challenge.

Original Post:
Scenario:
- Child door locks on
- Car is OFF
- No one in either front seats
- Adult enters in and sits in rear seat with keyfob (key fob is not defective and has full batteries) to buckle child in car seat in the centre.
- Rear Door closes behind adult (due to tight garage)

Result:
Rear door cannot open from the inside, even with keyfob inside of the car with the adult in the rear seat.
Rear doors can only be open from the outside or if the adult is small enough to be able to climb to the front seats and open one of the front doors.

Is this 'safety' feature on all manufacturers or just a select few (e.g. Volvo)?
Last edited by Kursor17 on Jan 12th, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
113 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
24327 posts
10658 upvotes
Ottawa
For the rear doors, yes.
On my Explorer, the rear passengers can't unlock the door themselves either, until I open the driver's door first our unlock all doors.
Nov 26, 2014
170 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Child safety door locks makes it so that you cannot open the rear doors from the inside. Has nothing to do with the car being locked or unlocked. It's to prevent children from opening the rear doors when you choose to have it that way.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1089 posts
352 upvotes
jerbhu wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:01 am
Child safety door locks makes it so that you cannot open the rear doors from the inside. Has nothing to do with the car being locked or unlocked. It's to prevent children from opening the rear doors when you choose to have it that way.
/\
This

The keyfob has nothing to do with the child lock. The child lock physically disconnects the inside door handle from the latch. Every car operates this way.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1564 posts
530 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for your quick replies. I've added more specific details.

Luckily there was someone else home to get me out of this pickle. Else I would have been trapped in the freezing car with my child for a very long time.

So going fwd, the only solution is to disable the child lock on the one side of the rear seat that sits an adult?
Last edited by Kursor17 on Jan 11th, 2019 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 26, 2014
170 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Kursor17 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:09 am
Thanks for your quick replies. I've added more specific details.

Luckily there was someone else home to get me out of this pickle. Else I would have been trapped in the freezing car with my child for a very long time.

So going fwd, the only solution is to disable the child lock on the one side of the rear seat that sits an adult?
You could've climbed into the front seats and exited the car that way then opened the rear doors from the outside.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
1360 posts
1246 upvotes
GTA
Or just don't close the door behind you.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1564 posts
530 upvotes
Toronto
jerbhu wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:12 am
You could've climbed into the front seats and exited the car that way then opened the rear doors from the outside.
Tough to do in the XC90 unless you're a small person.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
24327 posts
10658 upvotes
Ottawa
Kursor17 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:16 am
Tough to do in the XC90 unless you're a small person.
Exit the rear hatch?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1564 posts
530 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:17 am
Exit the rear hatch?
Not possible when you got 2 car seats installed. I was sitting in the only unoccupied rear seat. You can't fold any seats down in this situation.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
24327 posts
10658 upvotes
Ottawa
Kursor17 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:19 am
Not possible when you got 2 car seats installed. I was sitting in the only unoccupied rear seat. You can't fold any seats down in this situation.
You can't climb over?
If this were really a life or death scenario, you're telling me you would have been trapped in there?

Nov 26, 2014
170 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Don't know what to say. I've never been in a situation where I have put my kids in their carseats from inside the car it's always been from the outside with the door open. I also don't use the child door locks though.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1089 posts
352 upvotes
Kursor17 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:17 am
Tight fit in the garage, so Door swung closed behind me automatically.
Open the garage door from the car, and then exit out the back?

or

Press and hold your unlock button on the keyfob for 5 seconds and maybe the windows will go down.

I am interested to know how OP got out of the situation now, seeing as everything doesnt work.
Last edited by ziaa on Jan 11th, 2019 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1564 posts
530 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, we'd die. 5"10. Please feel free to go the dealer and try for yourself.

Funny thing is I can climb through to the front in smaller cars like a Ford Focus.
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:23 am
You can't climb over?
If this were really a life or death scenario, you're telling me you would have been trapped in there?