Automotive

Child door lock safety with no one sitting in the front and keyfob in the car

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2019 4:53 pm
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
11778 posts
11426 upvotes
Oakville
OP, I'm 6ft, 198lbs, 35in waist. How much will you pay me if I can go to a dealer and climb to the front seats from the rear? If I can't, I'll send you money. I'll take a video for proof. I assume you have no physical disabilities?
My wife has a smaller Audi Q5 and I can 100% climb from the rear to the front. I can even do it in my tiny old BMW coupe. I'm not sure there's a passenger car in the world that you can't climb from the rear to the front, other than taxi and cop cars with lexan barriers.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2478 posts
2497 upvotes
Vancouver
I doubt there is ANY car that an average sized person cannot climb from the back seat to front. OP just didn't want to mess up their interior.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 13, 2009
21084 posts
10545 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
OP,

First off, sorry to hear about your harrowing life or death experience. Glad you were able to make it out alive.


2nd off, re: what would nasa25 have done, well I’d have used a chainsaw I store under the passenger side seat to cut a hole in the roof and ninja myself out that way (wearing protective googles of course, safety first).

3rd off, TOTY candidate for sure. But will I remember this when I’m drunk on NYD 2020 thinking about TOTY candidates? Only time will tell.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1620 posts
511 upvotes
Oakville
$100 to the Charity of your choice.
You must install a car seat in the middle of the rear seat of the current model XC90.

Please post video in this thread.
engineered wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:06 pm
OP, I'm 6ft, 198lbs, 35in waist. How much will you pay me if I can go to a dealer and climb to the front seats from the rear? If I can't, I'll send you money. I'll take a video for proof. I assume you have no physical disabilities?
My wife has a smaller Audi Q5 and I can 100% climb from the rear to the front. I can even do it in my tiny old BMW coupe. I'm not sure there's a passenger car in the world that you can't climb from the rear to the front, other than taxi and cop cars with lexan barriers.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2478 posts
2497 upvotes
Vancouver
You said you have 2 car seats in there. So they must be mounted to a side and center? Not the left and rights sides symmetrically? What a strange design.
Moderator
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
23828 posts
3392 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:06 pm
OP, I'm 6ft, 198lbs, 35in waist. How much will you pay me if I can go to a dealer and climb to the front seats from the rear? If I can't, I'll send you money. I'll take a video for proof. I assume you have no physical disabilities?
My wife has a smaller Audi Q5 and I can 100% climb from the rear to the front. I can even do it in my tiny old BMW coupe. I'm not sure there's a passenger car in the world that you can't climb from the rear to the front, other than taxi and cop cars with lexan barriers.
Make sure you get someone to narrate it with their best Bruce Buffer voice. Can't wait to see this video.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
11778 posts
11426 upvotes
Oakville
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:12 am
Jokes aside, I see that the headrest of the third row on the XC90 doesn't fold down, which is the obstacle.
Why not fold down the whole seat? I assume it's 60/40 split?
Kursor17 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:19 pm
$100 to the Charity of your choice.
You must install a car seat in the middle of the rear seat of the current model XC90.

Please post video in this thread.
Does the Human Fund count?

Is the child seat rear facing? I can take the 2 seconds to unclip the child seat LATCH right?
Newbie
Sep 28, 2014
47 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto, ON
engineered wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:35 pm
Why not fold down the whole seat? I assume it's 60/40 split?


Does the Human Fund count?

Is the child seat rear facing? I can take the 2 seconds to unclip the child seat LATCH right?
@engineered I have nothing of value to contribute, but please also do this blindfolded so it can be the birdbox xc90 challenge.

Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28842 posts
14651 upvotes
Ottawa
engineered wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:35 pm
Why not fold down the whole seat? I assume it's 60/40 split?


Does the Human Fund count?

Is the child seat rear facing? I can take the 2 seconds to unclip the child seat LATCH right?
In most 3 row SUVs, the 3rd row can only be folded from the back and I imagine he can reach for the lever or switch back there, if he really tried.
If I couldn't climb into the front, I would climb into the rear and open the hatch to get out.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
11778 posts
11426 upvotes
Oakville
Kursor17 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:19 pm
$100 to the Charity of your choice.
You must install a car seat in the middle of the rear seat of the current model XC90.

Please post video in this thread.
For sure it's difficult to impossible to climb through with child sitting in a rear facing seat in the middle seat. Would you say it can't be done with the child seat unclipped?
Want to meet in east Oakville to do this? Otherwise it'll be a while before I'm near a Volvo dealer. I'll do it for a coffee and internet points.
Member
Nov 26, 2014
211 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If the carseat is in the middle, why do you have to enable the child lock?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
11778 posts
11426 upvotes
Oakville
Shaner wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:28 pm
Make sure you get someone to narrate it with their best Bruce Buffer voice. Can't wait to see this video.
I would think Ron Howard in Arrested Development style narration.... "And it was at that moment that he found himself trapped in his SUV. Destined to die alone.... [cut to kid making a what about me face]".
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1620 posts
511 upvotes
Oakville
To recreate the issue you'd have to have a front facing car seat in the middle, a rear facing car sear in the right seat, you'd be sitting in the left rear seat.

You can go to any Volvo dealer and 'test' it out. We meet before (if you wish) and after your video shooting and your prize awaits.

We can meet in Oakville.
engineered wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:40 pm
For sure it's difficult to impossible to climb through with child sitting in a rear facing seat in the middle seat. Would you say it can't be done with the child seat unclipped?
Want to meet in east Oakville to do this? Otherwise it'll be a while before I'm near a Volvo dealer. I'll do it for a coffee and internet points.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28842 posts
14651 upvotes
Ottawa
Kursor17 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:51 pm
To recreate the issue you'd have to have a front facing car seat in the middle, a rear facing car sear in the right seat, you'd be sitting in the left rear seat.

You can go to any Volvo dealer and 'test' it out. We meet before (if you wish) and after your video shooting and your prize awaits.

We can meet in Oakville.
I will send each of you a $25 Tim card for the time and effort in creating this harrowing experience.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 9, 2012
3475 posts
2686 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Kursor17 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:50 am
Hitting the unlock button repeatedly doesn't unlock the rear door.
Yes it does. However, with the child setting on you cannot open the door from inside whether it’s locked or unlocked - it simply cannot be opened from inside when the setting is on.

Same idea as a police car. When they get you to sit in the back they don’t need to lock the doors to keep you from leaving. The rear doors only operate from the outside.

Top