Child door lock safety with no one sitting in the front and keyfob in the car

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2019 4:53 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3565 posts
1209 upvotes
Mississauga
You can’t engage each child door lock independently?

New tagline: Volvo safety: too smart for its own good.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
1495 posts
339 upvotes
Mississauga
BeaverLiquor wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 7:11 am
The starter is right below the shifter on the xc90, so it’s a lot easier to reach than most other cars where it’s on the dash. Pretty sure turning the starter without the brake puts it in the accessory mode which will allow the opening of windows.

But just an FYI for the op, you don’t even need to turn the car on to open the windows.

Man card down, wife is the alpha now.
Saw the vid.. my 2014 E has this.. even turn on the ventilated seats..
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8637 posts
7279 upvotes
Oakville
tebore wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 8:25 am
Never heard back from @engineered
RIP. Died for internet points.
Naw, told you it wouldn't happen right away. OP has 2016 XC90 so hopefully I can find one at a nearby used dealer who won't mind me climbing around the car. If I get a chance I'll do a quick vid from my wife's Q5 as I'm sure it's smaller than the XC90.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
10624 posts
5755 upvotes
Richmond Hill
tebore wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 8:25 am
Never heard back from @engineered
RIP. Died for internet points.
These Volvo's I tell you. Known to be the "safest", not just from impacts but from getting out too.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9658 posts
3710 upvotes
Brampton
EP32k2 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 10:56 am
These Volvo's I tell you. Known to be the "safest", not just from impacts but from getting out too.
I'm still waiting for a the 6PM News headline, when he does the stunt.
"Volvo fatally penetrates man's Anus as he climbs over seats."
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1563 posts
530 upvotes
Toronto
I have a 2016 XC90 T8 Inscription Plug In Hybrid.

The Crystal gear shifter is at most 1" tall and is very close to the front of the car, so the risk of @engineered dying via anal penetration is very low.

Electric battery runs ALONG the centre of the car. I.e. right below the centre console @engineered will be putting his weight over as he attempts to climb over. Hopefully the Volvo engineers had accounted for the weight of an average adult male's climbing over the centre console so that the electric battery doesn't get penetrated, and the escapee dies by punctured battery fire.

As for The front bucket seats, XC90 seats are known to be one of the most comfortable in its class, so I'm not sure if the dimensions are larger than @engineered Q5.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
2920 posts
2003 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Good on the OP for being concerned and wanting to ensure he know everything was working ok in his Volvo.

Otherwise, it’s been proven that mayhem ensues when parents don’t pay enough attention to how car seats and child locks worked as evidenced by this event south of the border....

https://globalnews.ca/news/4848887/todd ... ives-away/

Toddler in car seat falls out of moving vehicle as mother drives away unaware

A two-year-old was uninjured after the child’s car seat fell out of a moving vehicle and onto the road while the mother drove away, unaware the kid was no longer in the vehicle.

Police in Mankato, Minn., responded to a call on Monday reporting a child in the middle of a roadway after the toddler, still strapped to a car seat, had toppled out of the car as it rounded a bend in the road.

The incident was captured on dashcam video by Chad Mock, who was driving behind the car when the child fell out of the rear driver’s side door.

“If it didn’t happen in front of me I’d never have believed it… the child was OK,” the man said in a Facebook post.

Video shows the car veering around a curve in the road when the child popped out of the car before the mother continued driving down the street, seemingly unaware of what had just happened.

Mock immediately stopped his vehicle and rushed to the child’s aid.

“The parents came back. Paramedics and police checked the child out as well,” Mock said. “Very lucky.”

According to the City of Mankato Public Safety, the child was assessed by first responders and was found to be uninjured as a result of the incident.

“The child was properly fastened inside the safety seat; however, the child safety seat was not fastened to the vehicle seat,” the city said in a statement. “Charges of child endangerment and child restraint system not fastened are being requested.”

As of this writing, it’s unclear why the vehicle door opened, leading to the child to fall out.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
24296 posts
10635 upvotes
Ottawa
CanadianLurker wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 4:47 pm
Good on the OP for being concerned and wanting to ensure he know everything was working ok in his Volvo.

Otherwise, it’s been proven that mayhem ensues when parents don’t pay enough attention to how car seats and child locks worked as evidenced by this event south of the border....

https://globalnews.ca/news/4848887/todd ... ives-away/

Toddler in car seat falls out of moving vehicle as mother drives away unaware

A two-year-old was uninjured after the child’s car seat fell out of a moving vehicle and onto the road while the mother drove away, unaware the kid was no longer in the vehicle.

Police in Mankato, Minn., responded to a call on Monday reporting a child in the middle of a roadway after the toddler, still strapped to a car seat, had toppled out of the car as it rounded a bend in the road.

The incident was captured on dashcam video by Chad Mock, who was driving behind the car when the child fell out of the rear driver’s side door.

“If it didn’t happen in front of me I’d never have believed it… the child was OK,” the man said in a Facebook post.

Video shows the car veering around a curve in the road when the child popped out of the car before the mother continued driving down the street, seemingly unaware of what had just happened.

Mock immediately stopped his vehicle and rushed to the child’s aid.

“The parents came back. Paramedics and police checked the child out as well,” Mock said. “Very lucky.”

According to the City of Mankato Public Safety, the child was assessed by first responders and was found to be uninjured as a result of the incident.

“The child was properly fastened inside the safety seat; however, the child safety seat was not fastened to the vehicle seat,” the city said in a statement. “Charges of child endangerment and child restraint system not fastened are being requested.”

As of this writing, it’s unclear why the vehicle door opened, leading to the child to fall out.
I didn't know BMW had handsfree doors.