Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9422 posts
1644 upvotes
Montréal

Child lost in raging river

Surprised no one is talking about this:
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/0 ... river.html

Was this a freak accident or could it have been preventable? Just amazed so many unfortunate factors came together for the van to somehow end up in the river.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
67 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39025 posts
3425 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
tranquility922 wrote:
Feb 24th, 2018 2:42 am
Surprised no one is talking about this:
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/0 ... river.html

Was this a freak accident or could it have been preventable? Just amazed so many unfortunate factors came together for the van to somehow end up in the river.
I suppose... there could have been a better road block.
Sometimes a road block is just a sign with the ability to drive around the sign.
Some might ignore it. Some might not be-able to see.
Theyre usually almost always reflective and orange/yellow.

Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3321 posts
1037 upvotes
Mississauga
According to news video I saw of the scene the road closed sign was pretty big and consisted of several additional barriers across the road. Definitely not difficult to see, even in the reportedly fogging conditions at the time.

There was a reason OPP put the barriers up. Unfortunately, mom chose to ignore it and now has to live with that decision for the rest of her life.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1749 posts
219 upvotes
Canada
This case has now being treated as a possible homicide.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5134 posts
483 upvotes
bluenose2 wrote:
Feb 24th, 2018 8:56 am
Link?
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3208 posts
1157 upvotes
Predictable - happens during every major flood.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1749 posts
219 upvotes
Canada
Any death which involves a minor is being treated as suspicious or possible homicide right now it’s in its early stages but once the body has been recovered and an autopsy has been completed police will release more information regarding this tragic case.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1570 posts
240 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
the road closed signs up north look more like this: Image

and Its been a few days now its possible the boy has not survived, rest in peace little boy, god is with you now
Hi
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9422 posts
1644 upvotes
Montréal
mrweather wrote:
Feb 24th, 2018 6:51 am
According to news video I saw of the scene the road closed sign was pretty big and consisted of several additional barriers across the road. Definitely not difficult to see, even in the reportedly fogging conditions at the time.

There was a reason OPP put the barriers up. Unfortunately, mom chose to ignore it and now has to live with that decision for the rest of her life.
That's what I figured, it would be hard to miss+barriers.....Dunno how the heck she missed them AND ended up in the river to the pt of it being life-threatening.

bluenose2 wrote:
Feb 24th, 2018 8:56 am
Wow, if that's true.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12549 posts
3080 upvotes
Here 'n There
I wonder if she was texting at the time.
Sep 15, 2010
656 posts
186 upvotes
Kawartha Lakes
Horrible thing to happen to anyone. ..my heart goes out to the family.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2314 posts
455 upvotes
Ottawa
I wonder what made her think crossing would be a great idea?

I was faced with a similar situation in a 1500 gmc and decided to take the LONGWAY around. Highly inconvenient but safe.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3321 posts
1037 upvotes
Mississauga
AtlsNBP wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 7:13 am
I wonder what made her think crossing would be a great idea?
Given the propensity for the Grand River to run high in that location in the spring, I’m wondering if she’s seen these road closed signs before when there wasn’t any significant flooding and thought she could make it through this time.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
19460 posts
7858 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
No words can describe how awful this is

My heart goes out to the family
deleted to keep the site family friendly. Was about copping sick fadez.
Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory
RIP sick fadez.