• Mar 29th, 2017 8:48 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 21, 2014
498 posts
120 upvotes
Manitoba

Child support prior to having a baby?

I am not seeking personal advice , but you can give it if you want.

Can I draw up an agreement with a lawyer to cap a child support cost in the event that my wife and I ever get separated or divorced?

She is not even pregnant yet.
42 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2394 posts
974 upvotes
No. i mean you could write something up but it would be worthless and thrown out in court. Child support is set based if the parents have shared physical custody (support reduces if you have the childe over 40% of the time), and how much income you make.

If you only see your child on weekends it's pretty straightforward. You take your income and the number of kids and the table shows what you need to pay. Any agreement you make that doesn't go along with that can be thrown out by the courts.
[OP]
Aug 21, 2014
498 posts
120 upvotes
Manitoba
Interesting. Where do I locate this table?
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15899 posts
4544 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Ontario table:

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/fl-df/chil ... df/ona.pdf

When in doubt, pull out.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3655 posts
1105 upvotes
Toronto
jetsfan69 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2017 12:06 pm

Can I draw up an agreement with a lawyer to cap a child support cost in the event that my wife and I ever get separated or divorced?

OR
"Can I draw up an agreement to limit my financial responsibility for the raising of my own child"

If you don't want the responsibility of raising a child, then use birth control.

I'm sure if you're willing to pay a lawyer enough, you can draw up a legal document attesting to your unwillingness to take responsibility for your own decisions. Maybe chat with your wife before you go that route though...
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19152 posts
2743 upvotes
Poormond Hill
jetsfan69 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2017 12:06 pm

Your should dump you right now!
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3590 posts
1425 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
No, you can't. Honestly, it sounds like you and your wife shouldn't even consider having kids. You seem to have an inkling you'll get divorced (and you probably will), and believe me the family courts are not kind to men. I don't care what anyone says - that's the truth. I know too many men whose lives have been completely screwed over by these situations to even mention.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3590 posts
1425 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
bionicbadger wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2017 1:15 pm
Get snipped.
Best advice in the thread.

Also, don't get involved with a woman who has children that aren't even yours either or you can be forced to pay support for them too (I know men that this has happened to). Even if she has a support order from the dad, she can still get one from you too. Nice deal, eh?

PS - I'm a woman, and I find the system deplorable in its treatment of men in many cases.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
1967 posts
327 upvotes
OP, it sounds like you provably shouldn't be married to this woman.

nasa25 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2017 12:54 pm
Ontario table:

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/fl-df/chil ... df/ona.pdf

When in doubt, pull out.

Ha thanks for the link. It was interesting to know (never thought about it or researched it), but the amounts are actually less than I thought they'd be. Realistically, you'd come out ahead if you just left your kid with his mom and paid child support vs staying and being a parent.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2437 posts
559 upvotes
Montreal
Get a wife who is genuinely concerned about your welfare on a daily basis (doesn't want you to lack anything) and looks at you with love/admiration instead of a woman who sticks around you based on how she feels on a given day.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3590 posts
1425 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
CensoredByRFD wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2017 11:52 pm
OP, it sounds like you provably shouldn't be married to this woman.

Ha thanks for the link. It was interesting to know (never thought about it or researched it), but the amounts are actually less than I thought they'd be. Realistically, you'd come out ahead if you just left your kid with his mom and paid child support vs staying and being a parent.
The amounts are actually very high. Trust me, I've lived with someone stuck paying it for years. Don't forget you are forking out for that, and if you've got a biotch ex you are forking out lawyer fees/court on a somewhat regular basis. Also, you have expenses for the kids on you own time. The amounts are very high. Then there's extras...

Also, I guarantee you the majority of the money my husband pays has not gone towards his kids. Some women are horrible for that.

Having raised my own child I can assure you it didn't cost anywhere near the amount of what someone with a decent salary would have to pay in child support for same child (and I had her in guitar, horse riding, took trips to Disney, etc). She had everything a kid could want.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
1967 posts
327 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Feb 24th, 2017 10:40 am
The amounts are actually very high. Trust me, I've lived with someone stuck paying it for years. Don't forget you are forking out for that, and if you've got a biotch ex you are forking out lawyer fees/court on a somewhat regular basis. Also, you have expenses for the kids on you own time. The amounts are very high. Then there's extras...

Also, I guarantee you the majority of the money my husband pays has not gone towards his kids. Some women are horrible for that.

Having raised my own child I can assure you it didn't cost anywhere near the amount of what someone with a decent salary would have to pay in child support for same child (and I had her in guitar, horse riding, took trips to Disney, etc). She had everything a kid could want.
If anything, I can def see the frustration being that you know the other parent is often not using the money for the kids if they get a lot.

And I don't know, the amounts seem reasonable (excluding the fees for lawyers etc every so often if the split wasn't amicable). With more than 2 kids, I can see it becoming tougher, but just taking a round number from there as an income of $100k, $1400/month is very reasonable and definitely isn't a financial stretch. That's not even as much as daycare for one baby in Toronto.
Jan 20, 2016
23 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON
$1400 is only meant to cover shelter/food/clothing.

Any extra expense such as daycare, nanny, extra-curricular activities, etc is subject to be added on-top.