Child support prior to having a baby?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 29th, 2017 8:48 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
6964 posts
1048 upvotes
You will also pay spousal support if your wife makes less. If shes making 0 (she decides to be stay at home wife before she leaves you), it's roughly 50% of your total income. I saw this on a family planning website with interactive chart. Was pretty eye opening. This also applied if you get someone pregnant and you didn't even live for a year together. Scary.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2328 posts
897 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Feb 24th, 2017 10:40 am
The amounts are actually very high. Trust me, I've lived with someone stuck paying it for years. Don't forget you are forking out for that, and if you've got a biotch ex you are forking out lawyer fees/court on a somewhat regular basis. Also, you have expenses for the kids on you own time. The amounts are very high. Then there's extras...

Also, I guarantee you the majority of the money my husband pays has not gone towards his kids. Some women are horrible for that.

Having raised my own child I can assure you it didn't cost anywhere near the amount of what someone with a decent salary would have to pay in child support for same child (and I had her in guitar, horse riding, took trips to Disney, etc). She had everything a kid could want.
Yeah cause food, shelter, clothes etc is so cheap. Sounds like your just bitter your husband couldn't spend all his money on you.

A very simple way for either parent to cut down what they pay for child support is to actually be a real parent. Get joint physical custody. And I don't by the "courts don't do that bs". Every man I know that has asked for joint custody has gotten it. The occasions where I've heard anything other then that being awarded there has been very good reasons for it. The reality is that most people complaining about paying child support were happy being weekend parents and not actually having the responsibility of taking care of their kids on a day by day basis.

Makes me cringe when I hear people say "stuck" paying it for years. Yes you have children, you do need to support them for years. What a shock.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2328 posts
897 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Feb 24th, 2017 3:19 pm
You will also pay spousal support if your wife makes less. If shes making 0 (she decides to be stay at home wife before she leaves you), it's roughly 50% of your total income. I saw this on a family planning website with interactive chart. Was pretty eye opening. This also applied if you get someone pregnant and you didn't even live for a year together. Scary.
Ok spousal support is stupid I agree.

But the you pay someone 50% of your salary if you just get someone pregnant is bs. No you don't. Child support is set by the guidelines and it's not 50% of someone's income.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7175 posts
2183 upvotes
Toronto
Oh would somebody think of the children!!!!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2328 posts
897 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Feb 24th, 2017 3:54 pm
Agreed!!!! And I agree with others. If OP is worrying about child support and nobody is even pregnant yet he should just go get snipped. Clearly he doesn't really want any kids and I feel sorry for any he does have.
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
13688 posts
3031 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Feb 24th, 2017 3:54 pm
still going strong with that phrase eh.....
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
6964 posts
1048 upvotes
Momof3cuties wrote:
Feb 24th, 2017 3:53 pm
Ok spousal support is stupid I agree.

But the you pay someone 50% of your salary if you just get someone pregnant is bs. No you don't. Child support is set by the guidelines and it's not 50% of someone's income.
you do because if you got a kid and the woman had 0 income, you must also support her.

Check this: https://www.mcgurk.ca/spousal-support-calculator/

100k a year, 880 goes to child support and average of 2250 goes to spousal support. It's also between 6-17 years (presumably until child is 18, since I put child age of 1 in the calculator). Look at the Gross income distribution. Taking the taxes into account, you pretty much get only 50% after tax.

I agree with child support. However, if the woman gets pregnant and the guy has no say (her body sure fair enough), not very fair he is forced to care for that child. It's both of their responsibility, not just the guy's that he should've wore a condom. If anything, women have more contraceptive methods, including less painful like the vaginal ring of contraception. Sure, if both agreed to get a child, then the guy changes his mind, then by all means he should pay if the child was born, but there are cases where women pop the condoms or lie about taking contraceptive and basically destroys the guy's financial situation without him having any say.

Also, completely abolish spousal support. It changed very little in what, over 50 years? But it is fun how some women have to pay spousal support they go bonkers and scream it's not fair. But yes, it's dated.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2328 posts
897 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Feb 24th, 2017 5:29 pm
you do because if you got a kid and the woman had 0 income, you must also support her.

Check this: https://www.mcgurk.ca/spousal-support-calculator/

100k a year, 880 goes to child support and average of 2250 goes to spousal support. It's also between 6-17 years (presumably until child is 18, since I put child age of 1 in the calculator). Look at the Gross income distribution. Taking the taxes into account, you pretty much get only 50% after tax.

I agree with child support. However, if the woman gets pregnant and the guy has no say (her body sure fair enough), not very fair he is forced to care for that child. It's both of their responsibility, not just the guy's that he should've wore a condom. If anything, women have more contraceptive methods, including less painful like the vaginal ring of contraception. Sure, if both agreed to get a child, then the guy changes his mind, then by all means he should pay if the child was born, but there are cases where women pop the condoms or lie about taking contraceptive and basically destroys the guy's financial situation without him having any say.

Also, completely abolish spousal support. It changed very little in what, over 50 years? But it is fun how some women have to pay spousal support they go bonkers and scream it's not fair. But yes, it's dated.
Spousal support does not kick in until you have been married for a certain amount of time. And I agree spousal support is stupid. It should be temporary and only in certain cases.

But child support, it's your child you should pay. And if people don't want to pay then take care of your child from day one Don't be a weekend parent.

And no birth control is 100% effective. even the birth control pill isn't.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
6964 posts
1048 upvotes
Momof3cuties wrote:
Feb 24th, 2017 6:29 pm
Spousal support does not kick in until you have been married for a certain amount of time. And I agree spousal support is stupid. It should be temporary and only in certain cases.

But child support, it's your child you should pay. And if people don't want to pay then take care of your child from day one Don't be a weekend parent.

And no birth control is 100% effective. even the birth control pill isn't.
Then I guess that calculator doesn't properly displays that. It makes it look like that as soon as you have a child, you would also have to pay spousal support if the person who gains custody has no income.
Mar 9, 2012
592 posts
158 upvotes
KITCHENER
Chickinvic wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2017 3:30 pm
Best advice in the thread.

Also, don't get involved with a woman who has children that aren't even yours either or you can be forced to pay support for them too (I know men that this has happened to). Even if she has a support order from the dad, she can still get one from you too. Nice deal, eh?

PS - I'm a woman, and I find the system deplorable in its treatment of men in many cases.
Funny you say that. My 'wife' decided enough was enough after her kid ran away, lived with grandpa, and did all sorts of stupid stuff, got kicked out, and is now in a shelter. So she moves in with her dad.

Anyway, being that the first wife is a deadbeat and rarely sees the kids, and pays little support, I'm planning on going after this deadbeat mom. She has two kids from her previous marriage, but doesn't see the one kid at all, and of course, the second kid ran away. Said she loved my kids like they were her own, she never checked in on them...so....yep.
Mar 9, 2012
592 posts
158 upvotes
KITCHENER
Messerschmitt wrote:
Feb 24th, 2017 3:19 pm
I don't think it's 50%. It's dependant on a lot of different things, length of marriage and income are most important. When I calculated mine, even when I zeroed her income, the "upper" end was $87/month for .5 to 1 year. (so maybe $900 max). When I added the kids, she's owing me money...lol... https://www.mysupportcalculator.ca
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
6964 posts
1048 upvotes
jeff1970 wrote:
Mar 4th, 2017 11:49 pm
I don't think it's 50%. It's dependant on a lot of different things, length of marriage and income are most important. When I calculated mine, even when I zeroed her income, the "upper" end was $87/month for .5 to 1 year. (so maybe $900 max). When I added the kids, she's owing me money...lol... https://www.mysupportcalculator.ca
Used that calculator. Even with 0 years in cohabitation, you still end up paying as much as 3x more in spousal support than in child support if she has 0 income. I'm not sure how accurate this calculator is for the cases where the woman lied that she was on contraceptives (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/tor ... e34192205/), or cases I heard where women purposely puts a needle through the condom to get themselves pregnant if the guy has a good career and money.

It does not seem like you only pay child support, but also you must pay alimony which again, calculators shows as being 3x more than child support. For my 80k calculation, that's 2400$ monthly (600 for child support, 1800 for spouse support). Also not sure if this is accurate if the woman had a job, but then quits it to have a 0 income just before the breakup.

From my point of view, when it comes to men, they are far far away from any gender equality when it comes to get their lifes ruined by a woman if she is malicious, and apparently besides the courts always siding with them for child custody, no fault in canada (the partner can cheat on you and you still have to pay support, something that is not allowed in the US), they also side with them if they obviously lied that they were on the pill.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2328 posts
897 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote:
Mar 5th, 2017 10:05 am
Used that calculator. Even with 0 years in cohabitation, you still end up paying as much as 3x more in spousal support than in child support if she has 0 income. I'm not sure how accurate this calculator is for the cases where the woman lied that she was on contraceptives (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/tor ... e34192205/), or cases I heard where women purposely puts a needle through the condom to get themselves pregnant if the guy has a good career and money.

It does not seem like you only pay child support, but also you must pay alimony which again, calculators shows as being 3x more than child support. For my 80k calculation, that's 2400$ monthly (600 for child support, 1800 for spouse support). Also not sure if this is accurate if the woman had a job, but then quits it to have a 0 income just before the breakup.

From my point of view, when it comes to men, they are far far away from any gender equality when it comes to get their lifes ruined by a woman if she is malicious, and apparently besides the courts always siding with them for child custody, no fault in canada (the partner can cheat on you and you still have to pay support, something that is not allowed in the US), they also side with them if they obviously lied that they were on the pill.
I don't know what crazy stuff your reading or what bizarr calculator you are using, but nobody would ever have to pay spousal support if they never lived together. Read the law instead of BS you find online.

And guys do get awarded custody and moms do have to pay support. I know this for a fact. I have friends and family who are male and have custody and receive suppprt.

If a man feels he's been tricked by some woman who then ends up pregnant wanting money there is an easy solution. Actually be a man and take care of your child. And by that I mean get joint custody, or even sole custody. And it doesn't matter how the child got here, there is a child that needs to be taken care of.

I have zero sympathy for any person who whines about paying support, and then only sees their child every other weekend if that. Honestly most people I hear complaining about child support have never even tried to have joint custody.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3380 posts
887 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder what the ratio of women sticking needles into condoms is compared to that of men who skip out on support payments. I'm guessing that a far greater number of men skip out on support payments and yet RFD'ers always seem to think women are put on this earth to screw them over.
Mar 9, 2012
592 posts
158 upvotes
KITCHENER
CensoredByRFD wrote:
Feb 24th, 2017 11:21 am
If anything, I can def see the frustration being that you know the other parent is often not using the money for the kids if they get a lot.

And I don't know, the amounts seem reasonable (excluding the fees for lawyers etc every so often if the split wasn't amicable). With more than 2 kids, I can see it becoming tougher, but just taking a round number from there as an income of $100k, $1400/month is very reasonable and definitely isn't a financial stretch. That's not even as much as daycare for one baby in Toronto.
Depends too if you have spousal support. That child support is not tax deductible, so you're also paying full tax on that $100,000. You make, what, $60,000/year after taxes on $100,000? Then $17,000 on child support. Now you also have the costs of seeing your kids, if you don't want to be a deadbeat in that way. Kids will burn through your money pretty quick.

Of course, though, sometimes getting ride of the S.O. is worth the money....but not seeing your kids all the time, that's another story.