• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2017 1:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2006
1238 posts
37 upvotes

Childcare & Before/After School

We are a young family living in Finch/Sheppard & Yonge area. waitlisted for daycare since 6 month pregnant, now 2.5 years old still nothing.

what do parents do? kindergarden is next year, what are some options parents use to facilitate being able to maintain a job/career?
there is only 1 before/after school program and it is full, not close on the waitlist for it.

I have heard of extracurricular club may offer pick-up/drop-off service. any one know if there are any in the area?

any suggestions will help!!
8 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
3775 posts
730 upvotes
Sask.
Here, in that situation, people usually go with daycare in someone's home, where they are usually pretty flexible.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1677 posts
73 upvotes
Mississauga
I know some folks in my area have had success with finding providers via weewatch.com
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15114 posts
4213 upvotes
Ottawa
This will be ongoing until your child turns 12.
Went through the same thing, when wife returned to work after mat leave and now again for SK.
What we did was registered our kid on the City of Ottawa waiting list and picked every program within a 40km radious (with the top picks being closer to our work place).

The fun doesn't stop there, you must call and email the daycare at least twice a month for updates and be willing to enroll your kid earlier than the requested start date.

Stressfull to say the least, but mind boggling that there is so much effort required for parents to try and get their kid into a program that can cost a fortune!
Jan 2, 2015
958 posts
356 upvotes
Good childcare is tough for most parents for school aged kids.
We had a fully time nanny envelope when the kids were full time, and it's only now that we will no longer have this option (nanny has found a new career). I am still trying to figure out the school year and my kids are 8 and 11. It's not only before and after, but of days and sick days.

Our plan so far is, spouse will get kids ready for school while i go in early to work. Kids will walk home from the bus (weather pending) and I will leave work early to get them ready for there evening activities and dinner. PD And sick days, my spouse and I will alternative with occasional help from family ( if they are around). I took a demotion in order to have more flexibility with the kids schedules and to be able to work from home.

It was really hard when my kids were even younger, with half day kindergarten, we had a nanny. Others I know, asked neighbors, friends or family. Ideally, you end up with a close network at the kindergarten and the parents help each other. My nanny would often watch other kids from the same class, and when we had emergencies or no nanny, others would help us.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3566 posts
1009 upvotes
Toronto
We did lots of things too over the years

daycare closer to work instead of home in the infant/toddler years
adjusted start time at work to allow for daycare dropoff (once they were at before school care near home).
worked with other parents to organize a new after-school program in the school and then enrolled my kids in it...
Jan 16, 2007
592 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
I live in Markham area and my daughter went to 2 different elementary schools.
Both schools had before and after care programs from 7:30 am to 6PM at night. No waiting list that I knew of.

I guess there's less demand for these services in the burbs.
What's sad is my daughter spent so many hours at morning care/school/after school care every day, but this is the life we live.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2009
1044 posts
158 upvotes
I always wonder how parents deal with this too, glad to hear I'm not the only one struggling lol.... Anyway my daughter has both a mental and physical disability this caused my wife to need to stay home with her until she started school and my wife ended up going back to school when my daughter started. I am fortunate enough to work from home so I can drop my daughter off and pick her up and on off days I manage as best I can but have a lot of distractions for her... she's 5 and has her own iPad mini, playroom with 43" TV and TONS of toys. Over the summer my mother in law takes care of my daughter but at the moment she's having some health issues so my daughter stays home with me while I work... it's not ideal and I can't wait for school to start back up again.
Aug 10, 2017
1 posts
Thankfully there's no waitlist fees anymore. But yeah, such a headache