Parenting & Family

Children's stories with wrong messages ...

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 6:57 pm
12 replies
Aug 15, 2015
178 posts
30 upvotes
Markham, ON
Funny you mentioned this because I was thinking about how fairy tales may have been tales adult tell children to warn them of danger.

For example, Goldilocks and the Three Bears could be adults telling a child that bears are dangerous and you should not venture into their home or maybe, a child in the 1800's or earlier was found dead in the cave of a bear and adults told tales of Goldilocks and the Three Bears to make the event less scary.

I read a few version of Beauty and the Beast and it felt like a beautified version of men selling women or girls off to merchants for political reasons.

Reading children stories is fun and you can have a glimpse of the past. Everything can be wrong if you want to interpret everything as wrong.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
2115 posts
1088 upvotes
I think there is definitely some validity to this...

Hansel & Gretel as well as Little Red Riding Hood both clearly give the message to beware of strangers... cause they could bring you harm

The nursery rhyme Ring Around The Rosie... has often been linked to the Plague... but modern scholars now disagree on this theory

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_a_Ring_o%27_Roses
Always thought it ironic, that a lot of the great fairy tales were written by the German siblings The Brothers GRIMM
Aug 15, 2015
178 posts
30 upvotes
Markham, ON
If you tell sleeping beauty in the modern world, it could be that Sleeping Beauty was under cardiac arrest and needed some CPR. The prince actually hit her chest first and broke some ribs before proceeding to provide airs to her lungs without equipment.

What can one do, when something unexpected happens? They had to prolong the story in the past and added some storyline to a simple tale of how CPR started.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16739 posts
1795 upvotes
Montreal
I suggest you read the original mother Goose. Sexism, wife battery, class and race based discrimination abound.

Goosey goosey gander,
Whither shall I wander?
Upstairs and downstairs
And in my lady's chamber.
There I met an old man
Who wouldn't say his prayers,
So I took him by his left leg
And threw him down the stairs
Mar 19, 2012
719 posts
126 upvotes
Another one is "London Bridge" one of the videos on YouTube showing the thief as black and white skin mean beautiful.

One more, Jack and the bean stal. In the book they basically justify stealing because the ogre is "mean" ( by the way, in the book ogre hasn't done anything to be labeled as "mean")

There are more but these two just came to my mind.
May 22, 2016
870 posts
154 upvotes
Ontario
Mr Tickle. He goes around tickling random ppl. Thats assault!!!! So offensive that I won't read it to my kids anymore.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7894 posts
571 upvotes
webshark wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 4:25 am
Mr Tickle. He goes around tickling random ppl. Thats assault!!!! So offensive that I won't read it to my kids anymore.
Very true! Mr. Nosey needs to call the police and lawyer up as he's bullied and assaulted by the townsfolk.

All these books are messed up. Burn them all!
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
1019 posts
286 upvotes
Winnipeg
if you slice and dice everything then everything you see and hear is wrong. but i dont see now adults that grew up learning these stories to have picked up on the wrong parts. when you tell a story, the body language and tone makes up for most of what message is sent. so i dont have a problem if some pieces of it may have contained some incorrect things.
May 8, 2009
2320 posts
733 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Honourable mention Song of the South.

I know it's not one of Disney's fave's, but it encourages complacency where the status quo is racial segregation.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1846 posts
225 upvotes
In another world
[quote="Poppwl" post_id=28542378 time=1511633723 user_id=1235535
Reading children stories is fun and you can have a glimpse of the past. Everything can be wrong if you want to interpret everything as wrong.[/quote]
amitdi wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 3:50 pm
if you slice and dice everything then everything you see and hear is wrong. but i dont see now adults that grew up learning these stories to have picked up on the wrong parts. when you tell a story, the body language and tone makes up for most of what message is sent. so i dont have a problem if some pieces of it may have contained some incorrect things.
Exactly. It takes the fun away as we adults, who have a better understanding of the real world, start getting paranoid. Whereas kids only think about the fun and joy the stories bring.

And as an adult, I could say many Disney stories teach teens, a poor girl can attract and marry a Prince, or a poor guy can attract and marry a Princess.
Oct 29, 2016
92 posts
7 upvotes
I think the stories are not that bad. If you can present it beautifully then the story serves it part. And if there were any wrong messages, it would be overlooked. Look, most of the stories have a Bad person or group of bad person. They do bad things. If you can't present it right then you are just introducing bad habits to your children, not giving the right message/moral.
Aug 6, 2014
702 posts
161 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
there isn't a single children's book out there that i can't put a horrifying spin on. thanks 2017.