Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Chin-Up Bar for P90x

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2009 12:21 am
Tags:
Apr 27, 2008
401 posts
34 upvotes
Just to add: The ones people are posting for $30 are NOT the ones I was talking about in the OP. The one in the OP has extra grips on it so you can do wider versions of all the exercises, to work your back more. It's the exact one sold on beachbody.com to go with P90x.

I live in a condo, and although the doors were too thin, I fixed this problem by getting two longer screws, and putting a spacer between the upward facing bars and the one that sits on the frame to shorten the distance. I also used the mounting brackets that are included (at least the one from treadmillfactory came with them, I can't speak to other places). Started P90x on Monday. As of today I can barely move!
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17118 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
actuarial wrote: I live in a condo, and although the doors were too thin, I fixed this problem by getting two longer screws, and putting a spacer between the upward facing bars and the one that sits on the frame to shorten the distance. I also used the mounting brackets that are included (at least the one from treadmillfactory came with them, I can't speak to other places). Started P90x on Monday. As of today I can barely move!
can you post pics please
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2004
10379 posts
1169 upvotes
Toronto
t3359 wrote: Looks like the Iron Gym is available from GNC as well (don't remember if someone already said that) - $30
GNC

My preference so far is the Ultimate Fitness deluxe chin-up bar though.

bjl
that's the US site. is it available in Canada?
Ask me a question about ANYTHING here: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=692100
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
Dash wrote: that's the US site. is it available in Canada?
Ahhh, didn't notice that - can't find product listings on the GNC Canada site...

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Oct 23, 2008
181 posts
67 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
rice_demon wrote: i went into GNC (several vancouver locations) and they are selling the power gym for 39.99 and if you have the gold card it is 31.99
there u go
Mar 9, 2003
347 posts
Winnipeg, MB
Yep some pics of setups would be nice.

I've had a pullup bar for years, it seems for those who want a doorway setup (many people are limited to this) you kind of have two options:

1. Mounted single bar (like CT's LifeGear bar)
Pros:
-Very strong (as they screw into the 2x4s of a doorjamb)
-You can do kipping and dynamic movements as the bar is stable
-Because of stability, I find they offer more versatility, i.e. I hand gymnast rings off of mine, use towels/bands off it

Cons:
-you have to put holes in the doorjamb
-limited grips

2. Friction/Leverage bars (like the Power Trainer Pro)

Pros:
-easy on and off (no need to drill holes)
-allow for many different grips

Cons:
-require a door trim
-they depend on the weight of the person to stay in place. So if you want to do kipping/dynamic movements, it could fall off
-less stable (I wouldn't hang rings off of these)

Now my question is, are there other setups out there? I'd be interested to know.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17118 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
what about pictures of how you overcame the "thinner" walls part?

i wanna see how you got the bar to stay flat and flush against the wall on top of the door trim when the walls are too thin causing the front of the bar to rotate into the door frame which causes the bar to not sit flush on top of the door trim...
Apr 27, 2008
401 posts
34 upvotes
actng wrote: what about pictures of how you overcame the "thinner" walls part?

i wanna see how you got the bar to stay flat and flush against the wall on top of the door trim when the walls are too thin causing the front of the bar to rotate into the door frame which causes the bar to not sit flush on top of the door trim...
That's why the spacers are for. They push the bar which sits against the trim 'closer' to the trim. It's still a little off (I wouldn't want to use it just on the trim, as I also have thin trim), but when it's in the mounting brackets it works just fine.

The total distance which needs to be covered is the space between the bar, and the piece that sits against the trim at the top. The spacers move the top piece closer to the bar.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
actng wrote: what about pictures of how you overcame the "thinner" walls part?

I think it's those white spacers he put between the beams and the door frame pad (lower photo).
Jul 1, 2008
407 posts
89 upvotes
I am looking for a ceiling chin up bar that I can just mount in my unfinished basement. Preferably one that also offers angled grips. If anyone has any idea one where I could find one it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17118 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
sorry i just saw the spacers... couldn't see them the first few times looking at it.

what material is the spacer? I'm going to need to do the same thing - is it safe?
Jan 28, 2009
18 posts
1 upvote
actuarial wrote:
I live in a condo, and although the doors were too thin, I fixed this problem by getting two longer screws, and putting a spacer between the upward facing bars and the one that sits on the frame to shorten the distance. I also used the mounting brackets that are included (at least the one from treadmillfactory came with them, I can't speak to other places). Started P90x on Monday. As of today I can barely move!
actuarial; what material did you use to make the spacers? keep up with the p90x. just bring it!
Apr 27, 2008
401 posts
34 upvotes
tydirium wrote: actuarial; what material did you use to make the spacers? keep up with the p90x. just bring it!
I have no idea what they are made out of. They came included with an LCD mount I purchased a while back (same as the longer screws). I have been using it a few weeks now, with no problems, but I don't weigh much. I made sure they were screwed in nice and tight, so some of the burden is transferred to the spacers, and I think it can only come down if the screw snaps in half.

And I am bringing it, which is why I'm so sore! I'm drinking so much water now too that my weight is going crazy (+/- 3 pounds a day). I actually want to gain weight overall so I'm not too worried about that though.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
Found it for $49.99, free shipping (over $49). Never heard of this company though - anyone?

Health Harmony
Power Trainer Pro

Company is here (GTA) but it doesn't look like they have local pick-up:
Health & Harmony
5900 Finch Avenue East
Scarborough, Ontario, M1B 5X7

Anyone know if the power trainer pro is a one piece bar?

bjl
Jun 25, 2006
13 posts
superskid wrote: I am looking for a ceiling chin up bar that I can just mount in my unfinished basement. Preferably one that also offers angled grips. If anyone has any idea one where I could find one it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
I was just looking for the same thing. If you don't mind ordering from the states, new york barbells has some nice ceiling/joist mounted chin up bars.
http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/chinning.html
Jul 29, 2008
341 posts
86 upvotes
Regina
t3359 wrote: Found it for $49.99, free shipping (over $49). Never heard of this company though - anyone?

Health Harmony
Power Trainer Pro

Company is here (GTA) but it doesn't look like they have local pick-up:
Health & Harmony
5900 Finch Avenue East
Scarborough, Ontario, M1B 5X7

Anyone know if the power trainer pro is a one piece bar?

bjl
It`s owned by Doubleday Canada so should be good.

I just placed my order, so I`ll let you know. Got the Power Trainer Pro, plus a free gift (tote) and free shipping. $52.xx after tax.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)