• Aug 19th, 2017 10:00 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2008
4662 posts
333 upvotes
Kingmoo wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 10:02 am
which country do the people of that region consider theirs?
Does it matter? Both countries are trying to change the demographic to their favor. India was not traditionally a united nation. China was, but Tibet was not traditional Chinese or even within the Chinese culture influence (unlike Korea and Japan). Neither really has a good historical claim to it. Maybe an independent Tibet would have a claim, but its border has been fluxing in history as well. Neither country has a tradition of allowing self determination. (It's like US and Canada fighting for an Indian reserve).

Also, it's not really about the land since it's pretty worthless, but the strategic location. Additionally, the domestic pressure is probably more important than any external considerations.

To be honest, I don't think either side cares that much. They have been fighting along the border for years, mostly for show.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2006
3973 posts
384 upvotes
any conflict between China and another major country (other than USA) is just fine by me
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
13825 posts
1406 upvotes
Toronto
Kingmoo wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 10:02 am
which country do the people of that region consider theirs?
This is a border conflict between the PRC and Bhutan. Bhutan (tiny country) is a longstanding ally of India, and is calling on India's aid to defend their territory. India also has a strategic interest because any communist encroachment brings the narrow passage between Nepal and India's lost territory in Bangladesh into range of enemy weapons.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4130 posts
97 upvotes
Austin/Markham
I'm skeptical whether this is anything but media hyping things up. The cross-trade between the countries is pretty huge. Financially it wouldn't make sense to mess that up. With India SW development and China HW manufacturing, the two countries together account for half the world population and tech. China is 2X big as India and all their major cities are on the eastern regions so I don't see them caring about anything on the western front, pretty meaningless.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3495 posts
381 upvotes
I doubt it. China mostly just talk and warn. Doing this all the time with Japan and Philippines. Useless. Unlike Putin. He will crush whatever is in the way.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
15521 posts
1686 upvotes
Montreal
Piro21 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 11:03 am
This is a border conflict between the PRC and Bhutan. Bhutan (tiny country) is a longstanding ally of India, and is calling on India's aid to defend their territory. India also has a strategic interest because any communist encroachment brings the narrow passage between Nepal and India's lost territory in Bangladesh into range of enemy weapons.
What "lost" territory in bangladesh?
May 22, 2011
292 posts
18 upvotes
Vancouver
Sharks316 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 1:58 am
Maybe he believes in the Khalistan movement which Indira Gandhi CRUSHED!!!
What an ominous thing to say. However you should you should read up on history before you post anything. Indira Gandhi died before the Khalistan movement ever materialized.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
3549 posts
407 upvotes
Montreal
Piro21 wrote:
No other poster besides you actually understood what's been going on for weeks now. People need to dig further than the headlines to not embarrass themselves of ignorance in public. India invaded/ stepped into Bhutan because of road construction the Chinese were doing within Chinese territory.

Once Xi's term is renewed in October only then there could be some quick fireworks if Indians don't go back to India.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2014
2115 posts
301 upvotes
Mississauga
cn_habs wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 1:29 am
No other poster besides you actually understood what's been going on for weeks now. People need to dig further than the headlines to not embarrass themselves of ignorance in public. India invaded/ stepped into Bhutan because of road construction the Chinese were doing within Chinese territory.

Once Xi's term is renewed in October only then there could be some quick fireworks if Indians don't go back to India.
India invaded Bhutan? It was always there protecting its borders. Stopping Chinese from building road in Chinese territory? You just said India is in Bhutanese territory.
Oh sada kehra bapu karda black nee, Jehra tere shahir (Toronto), Le lawan flat nee
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2006
2549 posts
69 upvotes
As a member of a marginalized minority religion from India, anything I say against India would deem me a "separatist Khalistani" from the majority, therefore I wont say anything.
"Truth is High, Higher Still is Truthful Living" Guru Nanak
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10103 posts
115 upvotes
PCUSER wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 10:33 am
I agree 100%. They are very greasy.
This greasy?

Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
15521 posts
1686 upvotes
Montreal
cn_habs wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 1:29 am

Some reading for you:

https://www.amazon.ca/Smash-Grab-Annexa ... 9383260386
Dec 16, 2014
728 posts
370 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
ask the Nepalese how they feel about Indians encroaching their land. the best part is when india claims Buddha birthplace Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1198 posts
166 upvotes
BC
Personally I don't think Hindia or India will be a pushover, unlike in 1962. They have a very well equipped and large army, navy and air force. Plus China is a respected member of the World Community, now, unlike in 1962, when they were pariahs.
"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

CheapScotch