Group Buys

Chinese / Asian / Hong Kong Android IPTV Box Group Buy - Moonbox/TVpad Replacement

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2018 1:44 pm
Deal Addict
May 22, 2005
2626 posts
164 upvotes
My parents have been struggling along with a MoonBox. Even if they can get programming to work, it often stutters like crazy, buffering every 5-8 seconds. Seems like it's a good time to get a replacement.

Am I correct to assume the programming/channels are already pre-programmed into any of these choices?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
1774 posts
355 upvotes
Gatineau
so i guess these boxes just wont work after certain time?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
1774 posts
355 upvotes
Gatineau
actng wrote:
Mar 5th, 2018 1:04 pm
there's always a new box to replace
is there a recording feature? I know there is a 7 day review but is it possible to save it or I need to record it on my own.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
15115 posts
1035 upvotes
Scarborough
kwanyeung20 wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 1:20 pm
is there a recording feature? I know there is a 7 day review but is it possible to save it or I need to record it on my own.
you can download a screen capture/recording app from Google play store
MOONBOX REPLACEMENT:IPTV Group Buy
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
1774 posts
355 upvotes
Gatineau
actng wrote:
Mar 6th, 2018 1:30 pm
you can download a screen capture/recording app from Google play store
ok PMed you. considering buying one
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2009
1960 posts
1093 upvotes
Hi,

I have been looking for something like. Is there any chance you can give me more details on the HTV5?

General detail is fine, like how it works.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
15115 posts
1035 upvotes
Scarborough
timonwong wrote:
Apr 10th, 2018 10:17 am
Hi,

I have been looking for something like. Is there any chance you can give me more details on the HTV5?

General detail is fine, like how it works.
they all operate more or less the same from the user's stand point whether HTV5 or not. below is general to all boxes.

the boxes work kind of like how your phone works... except you have an ethernet cable (ideally for best performance) plugged into the back. wifi works too if your wifi is good. another HDMI cable to the TV. power cord of course.

turn on the box and there are apps preinstalled. there are usually at least three types... live tv, video on demand, or replay.

live tv works like it sounds, it will stream whatever is on TV - right now. this is usually useless since they are 12 hours ahead so right now it will be 4am over there, not a lot of good tv. commercials are included. you cannot faster forward or rewind or choose what shows to watch. you can only choose the channel, and it will show what's on right now.
video on demand works better for binge watching. you'll get to choose the show you wanna watch, and which episode. no commercials. a good box will update new episodes the same day. some boxes will be a few days behind for some shows and not others, depends on their focus/source.
replay is like a DVR/PVR... you can play anything at anypoint up to x days ago. usually x = 3 or 7 days depending on the box. htv5 is 3 days i think.

there are usually more than 3 apps, but at least one of each. some additional apps might focus on a particular category... be it sports or classic HK or pr0n.

specific to htv5... is the focus on cantonese content. other boxes focus on a good LIVE TV stream... or focus on updating mandarin content in VOD... or have a longer, 7 day replay.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2009
1960 posts
1093 upvotes
Thanks for your description.

Can you tell me if it can watch the chinese channels that are usually a premium in Canada? such as fairchild?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
15115 posts
1035 upvotes
Scarborough
timonwong wrote:
Apr 10th, 2018 7:05 pm
Thanks for your description.

Can you tell me if it can watch the chinese channels that are usually a premium in Canada? such as fairchild?
not on the htv5...
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
1397 posts
391 upvotes
GTA
What's your view with regard to UBox 4 ?
And would you have the cost info for it too ?
TIA
¸

- - - - -
Public Mobile, Zoomer wireless, and Rogers accounts

Smile, you are on camera
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
15115 posts
1035 upvotes
Scarborough
DragOnT wrote:
Apr 14th, 2018 11:12 am
What's your view with regard to UBox 4 ?
And would you have the cost info for it too ?
TIA
ubox is similar to evpad2S in terms of coverage
but more expensive especially since there is trade in for evpad2S

when I tested ubox it was average for performance
some titles didn't load
some channels didn't load
that is the case for any box from week to week but there were more failures on ubox than evpad2S
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
15115 posts
1035 upvotes
Scarborough
timonwong wrote:
Apr 10th, 2018 10:07 pm
any of them?
those boxes exist but they cost more

and a box showing Canadian cable channels in Canada is definitely against Canadian federal law