Art and Photography

Chinese Lantern festival - shooting tips?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2008 8:55 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 13, 2005
335 posts
38 upvotes

Chinese Lantern festival - shooting tips?

Any of you have some tips for a novice going to the Lantern Festival?

I know that it's probably hard to take a bad shot there, but just wondering if there's anything that helps to take even better shots.

I'm using a D70s, and I've got a 50mm f1.8, 18-70mm f3.5-4.5 & a speedlight SB-600.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
2850 posts
124 upvotes
Markham
dumbass wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2008 4:27 pm
Any of you have some tips for a novice going to the Lantern Festival?

I know that it's probably hard to take a bad shot there, but just wondering if there's anything that helps to take even better shots.

I'm using a D70s, and I've got a 50mm f1.8, 18-70mm f3.5-4.5 & a speedlight SB-600.
Honestly, the lanterns are so bright, you may not need a tripod if you shoot at a high enough ISO.

However, you kit lens is only a f/3.5. You'd be better to try and use tripod. Remember there can be alot of traffic on those paths so setting up a tripod can be tricky.

If you bring your 50mm, you'll be fine to shoot without a tripod, but it may not be wide enough for some of the larger exhibits.

I shot it 2 years ago with the Canon 17-55 2.8 IS and no tripod. Everything came out to my liking.

See here:
http://shaneho.smugmug.com/gallery/1844 ... 9161_2aroX
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6274 posts
66 upvotes
Etobicoke
Since the lanterns only look good at night when it's dark, plan to go there in late Sept or October when you have more time to shoot. Going too early in the season (like now) means you'll have only 2 hours to shoot.

Tripod is a must. Don't leave home without it. On the other hand, leave the Speedlight at home. Shooting lighted objects with a flash just kills it.

Read up on HDR and bracket like crazy. I would do 1/2 stop plus and minus 4 stops. Then, combine the images for interesting photo.

Shoot at the lowest ISO since the D70 has rather noisy blacks at higher ISOs.

Shoot at smaller aperture for more DOF. Since the lantern is the subject, you don't want any part of it out of focus.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2218 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
shot it two years ago. back then all i owned was the kit lense. worked out fine imo... didnt pod it or anything. the lights are so bright that you can get away with ISO400 and catch it perfectly fine. if you need to stop motion or want less noise then yes but from my experience there are way to many people to attempt that.