the Chinese-Phone Thread

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2018 10:52 pm
Tags:
Oct 19, 2010
93 posts
30 upvotes
Abbotsford
I saw the jump in price when it took me to PayPal (on mobile). But I was super close to tapping the purchase button.

Geekbuying had the 16gb gray note 2 for $139 + 5% coupon earlier if you're looking for one.
May 5, 2015
453 posts
429 upvotes
GVA
G0DKING wrote: What're ya going to do
I sent in a ticket but it is Saturday over there, hopefully they reply and not try to sneak it by and ship out

Contacted Paypal 2 time before they offered any help......... First lady said she can't do a stop payment or hold cause the funds already went through. said she will email me some info on how to start a dispute. Never sent...... Looked it up myself and you cant even dispute a price discrepancy through their site.

Second CSR messaged ******** on my behalf. requesting a refund, and reassured me they will get my money back for me. Told me to call back on Monday if I do not get an email from them or see a refund.

I explained to them what happened this morning and asked, don't they have records of what I was agreeing to pay. He said that the processing page where you sign in PayPal was still part of the sellers site (bull*****) and they don't see the final amount till it is completed......... So I questioned him what type of reassurance do I have using Paypal......... I Authorized a payment for $79 not $202. any retailer can make a fake listing for $2 then change the price to $200 during processing.
May 5, 2015
453 posts
429 upvotes
GVA
G0DKING wrote: What're ya going to do
Try the live chat if you have not already. I though they are gonna be closed for the weekend

Just go off with then, CSR said he will be cancelling my order and I should see a refund in the next few days. I asked how they can change the authorized payment in Paypal login from 79 to 202 and he gave me the run around
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
3749 posts
848 upvotes
Geez i guess i am happy that the site crashed for me so I didnt go thru the purchase and have all this hassle.
Oct 19, 2010
93 posts
30 upvotes
Abbotsford
Man, i'm almost obsessed about these phones now...there is so much to learn and navigate. And the prices fluctuate so much it seems. It's really interesting...

Anyone looked at the ecoo eo4? Pretty great features for the price. Same processor as the k3 note...

What are other things to consider with these phones other than just the raw specs?
Jan 3, 2003
68 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver
wearysky wrote: UTC = EST + 5. So 1700 is noon eastern time.
Thank you very much. I learn a lot from you and you are very helpful in China cellphone forums.

Next can you suggest few China cellphone will work on WIND system in Canada price around 200.00 or how to search the wind phone in China on-line store. What spec. must have?

thanks again
May 5, 2015
453 posts
429 upvotes
GVA
HammerJoe wrote: Geez i guess i am happy that the site crashed for me so I didnt go thru the purchase and have all this hassle.
Probably didn't have to go as far as to contacting paypal, but i been burned before trying to cancel a set top box from a china and didn't want to chance it. What really came as a surprise was the CS saying that the fund processing page where you sign in with your paypal email was still part of the sell site. If that is true I really question how safe Paypal is
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
kck wrote: Thank you very much. I learn a lot from you and you are very helpful in China cellphone forums.

Next can you suggest few China cellphone will work on WIND system in Canada price around 200.00 or how to search the wind phone in China on-line store. What spec. must have?

thanks again
When you're looking at the frequencies, you need WCDMA 1700 for Wind. And there are *very* few that actually support that... The Siswoo c50a Longbow does, and there was another entry level one posted recently but I can't remember what it was.
Jan 3, 2003
68 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver
wearysky wrote: When you're looking at the frequencies, you need WCDMA 1700 for Wind. And there are *very* few that actually support that... The Siswoo c50a Longbow does, and there was another entry level one posted recently but I can't remember what it was.
Thank You order one from ******** for US 97.00 (CDN 133.00)all the order online store sell. US130+
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
kck wrote: Thank You order one from ******** for US 97.00 (CDN 133.00)all the order online store sell. US130+
Yeah, I noticed they had it on sale, didn't realize it was only them that had it on sale though. For reference, you can watch the reviewRFD's own Redskul
Oct 13, 2006
268 posts
34 upvotes
I'm looking to purchase a China phone. Which one works on Fido's frequencies? It should have 850 and 1900, right?

Will any of them support LTE on Fido's network?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
MusashiX wrote: I'm looking to purchase a China phone. Which one works on Fido's frequencies? It should have 850 and 1900, right?

Will any of them support LTE on Fido's network?
WCDMA 850 and 1900 for 3G support on any network except Wind. For LTE, you're looking for 700 (band 17), 1700 (band 4) or 2600 (band 7). Many of them have 2600, and that should get you LTE coverage in the big metro areas (and many suburbs as well) - for Fido, at least.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2006
2237 posts
880 upvotes
Anything out there that's better than the K3 Note? Getting bored of it and going to be in Asia this month, might pick something up there.
Banned
Jan 14, 2014
356 posts
187 upvotes
Kitchener
If you are looking for a cheap bluetooth headset the EC Technology Bluetooth Sports Headphones are a good choice at about $22. They have good battery life, they are loud enough and they can also make phone calls.
Review:
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
1124 posts
182 upvotes
Whitby
I received my Morefine M5 US Edition yesterday. Have to say I am very pleased with it so far, excellent feature set for the price ($118 shipped). Some highlights:
-US band support, worked with Rogers LTE and 4G immediately with no hiccups. For the masochists who support Wind, yes the phone supports WCDMA 1700
-Bright, responsive touch screen with good viewing angles
-Quite snappy considering it is only a 1ghz quad core, general UI usage is easily as fast as my old Optimus G stuck on 4.1.2
-Built in toggleable sound enhancements like speaker boost, extra bass etc.
-Built in display adjustments like contrast, saturation, color temperature, dynamic contrast etc. which is unheard of at this price point
-Only 8GB storage but pretty good at allowing you to offload large portions of apps onto an SD card. Allows you to default app installation and data storage to SD card. Unfortunately play store doesn't seem to honor this and installs to internal storage anyway, you have to do a move to SD card afterward
-Firmware update app lets you manually select an update.zip on sdcard if so inclined
-Grippy rubberized texture, easy to hold. My Optimus G was a slippery glass backed nightmare that would routinely try to shoot off my nightstand if bumped and not in a case.
-Strong vibration motor
-Paired up via bluetooth to my GM vehicle with no issues
-1GB RAM doesn't seem to be a problem. Phone is responsive, handles webpages on Chrome fine and played a couple of heavy games with no memory errors.

The bad:
-Cannot adjust media volume if no media is playing, so firing up a game for the first time blows you out of your chair. Mitigated by installing "Volume button for Lollipop" app
-No weather widget, so I installed "The Weather Network" not necessarily a con as it means less bloat in the ROM and more choice to the user
-Menu options for certain things are in non-intuitive locations. Turning cell data on is not under mobile networks as with any other phone, it is a buried option under data usage and took me 5 minutes to find. Not sure if this is a Lollipop thing or not.
-Firmware update check has some really poorly translated strings. "You are not even wifi, please connect wifi or download in wifi environment only in setting the hook"
-Tacky permanent "LTE" logo in the top bar by the signal meter, even if you aren't connected to a network
-Manufacturer website is pretty sketchy. Packaging says one manufacturer, website says another, neither company come up at all in a google search outside their own website.
-Can't find a way to purchase a second battery for the phone. Will try emailing the manufacturer.
Apr 16, 2005
10 posts
Hello,

I have it narrowed it down to the Redmi note 3 or the Letv 1s. Both around $200 usd. I am going to use it on Zoomer wireless which I believe uses the Rogers towers. Any advice on which one to buy would be great.

Thanks...
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
3246 posts
1807 upvotes
Don't know if anyone can help. I purchased a Nuqleo Quadrant in the beginning of the year. It worked fine until recently when malware started somehow got into the phone from going to websites. Long story short, I can't get rid of the malware though resetting and restoring the phone to factory. I tried googling and not much help as I may have to root the phone.

http://www.dx.com/p/nuqleo-quadrant-qua ... mEqUI7F98E

Symptons include pop up ads and some programs in the Device administratos that I can't uninstall. One of the programs is "com.wlan.wland" and "download manager" and a chinese character I can't make out. Can anyone help as these pop ups and ads show up multiple times and randomly.

Thanks.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
chiva255 wrote: Hello,

I have it narrowed it down to the Redmi note 3 or the Letv 1s. Both around $200 usd. I am going to use it on Zoomer wireless which I believe uses the Rogers towers. Any advice on which one to buy would be great.

Thanks...
Both good phones. I'd probably lean more towards the Redmi Note 3, simply because Xiaomi is a bit of a bigger brand, and more likely to have longer term firmware support.
Apr 21, 2010
395 posts
179 upvotes
Montreal
yyz2hkg wrote: Don't know if anyone can help. I purchased a Nuqleo Quadrant in the beginning of the year. It worked fine until recently when malware started somehow got into the phone from going to websites. Long story short, I can't get rid of the malware though resetting and restoring the phone to factory. I tried googling and not much help as I may have to root the phone.

http://www.dx.com/p/nuqleo-quadrant-qua ... mEqUI7F98E

Symptons include pop up ads and some programs in the Device administratos that I can't uninstall. One of the programs is "com.wlan.wland" and "download manager" and a chinese character I can't make out. Can anyone help as these pop ups and ads show up multiple times and randomly.

Thanks.
IIRC, I followed this guide: http://theunlockr.com/2014/02/04/root-a ... ng-method/

Sorry, my recall was incorrect. I used vroot: http://vrootdownload.info/download/

Don't forget to turn on USB debugging first.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2006
2237 posts
880 upvotes
wearysky wrote: Both good phones. I'd probably lean more towards the Redmi Note 3, simply because Xiaomi is a bit of a bigger brand, and more likely to have longer term firmware support.
Will you be doing any review on the Redmi Note 3?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)