• Sep 11th, 2017 6:32 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2251 posts
146 upvotes
Havo wrote:
Nov 29th, 2016 2:46 pm
My friend recently purchased a Mi5 but it seems like it's running an unofficial ROM. Can anyone suggest somewhere she can take it to have the official global rom flashed on it? She's not tech savvy enough to do it herself.
Does the phone have the updater app?
If it does then just download the official rom (preferably global) from the miu website and then rename the file to update.zip in the root folder of the phone and use the updater to install that version

I would recommend to do a factory reset afterwards to remove all traces of the unoficial rom.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2251 posts
146 upvotes
Zhopa wrote:
Nov 29th, 2016 6:42 pm
May I ask you which Redmi would you recommend? I'm lost between all that Redmi 3... :(
In official Xiaomi store on aliexpress there are 8 Redmi Note 3 Pro:
https://xiaomionline.aliexpress.com/sto ... note+3+pro

Which one did you pick?

Thanks in advance!
You probably should look for the redmi pro 3 with the qualcomm 650 proessor. It has all the bands needed for Canada.
The global version is also good, it has a few extras bands that are not used in canada.

These phones are getting harder to get because xioami has the redmi 4 and redmi pro out.
Jun 22, 2009
513 posts
115 upvotes
Kitchener
Thanks!
Just going through all discussions regarding this phone :) Yes, definitely Snapdragon, the question was about KATE or KENZO (?) :)

And thanks for the Note 4 hint - better hurry!
HammerJoe wrote:
Nov 29th, 2016 6:55 pm
You probably should look for the redmi pro 3 with the qualcomm 650 proessor. It has all the bands needed for Canada.
The global version is also good, it has a few extras bands that are not used in canada.

These phones are getting harder to get because xioami has the redmi 4 and redmi pro out.
Слава Україні! Героям слава!
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
5159 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
HammerJoe wrote:
Nov 29th, 2016 6:52 pm
If it does then just download the official rom (preferably global) from the miu website and then rename the file to update.zip in the root folder of the phone and use the updater to install that version

I would recommend to do a factory reset afterwards to remove all traces of the unoficial rom.
I believe it has it. I'll suggest this method. Thanks.
Mar 8, 2004
101 posts
14 upvotes
Kanata
HammerJoe wrote:

From what I've found, you can't go from a vendor rom to an official rom by using the updater app in the phone.

I just flashed the latest global rom on my Redmi 3x using this method:

I downloaded the latest global fastboot rom, installed the MiFlash tool, connected the phone in download mode, then flashed. It gave me an error but the phone restarted to the "Android Password" screen which I couldn't get through but the phone wiped itself after x number of wrong tries, which was fine because this was the first thing I did with the phone.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2251 posts
146 upvotes
That's how i updated mine. Came with some ROM and i downloaded the official global rom renamed it update.zip and use the updater.
No problems.
Afterwards did a factory reset to wipe everything
Feb 14, 2006
78 posts
6 upvotes
Zhopa wrote:
Nov 29th, 2016 11:25 pm
Thanks!
Just going through all discussions regarding this phone :) Yes, definitely Snapdragon, the question was about KATE or KENZO (?) :)

And thanks for the Note 4 hint - better hurry!
Kenzo is the chinese version with bands 2 and 4, but not 17. The Kate version is 2.5mm longer but offers band 17 which I Think bell/telus use as LTE-advanced (no idea with rogers) and bands 28 39 40? which are not used here (at least with bells system) but are elsewhere.

If you travel get kate, If you live in an LTE-advanced area and band 17 is useful get kate. If they are the same price get kate.

Basically the only reason I would get kenzo is if its cheaper than kate and the 2.5mm longer length annoyed you, or you don't think LTE-Advanced will ever benefit you, or you wanted ROMs but didn't want to do the extra patch step on the radio. I think now screen protectors and cases have been adjusted for kate models, as well as rom developers accounting for their differences. Kenzo is getting hard to find now, that link only offers 2 kate models 3GB/32GB for me. Also xiaomi says they have no official store on aliexpress. I used eternal team. on ali and had good success. Self-clear will save the brokerage, it was $14.50, then tax on the valuation. read posts carefully.
Dec 1, 2016
1 posts
Hey guys so Iv been at this for a few hours and am super lost. I have a note 4 and it broke and I was looking to get something from ******** for around the 200$ range but am flexible. I wanted something slightly smaller than the note 4 with SD support and to work with Telus. Please does anyone know of a good phone that will work?
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
5159 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
HammerJoe wrote:

Just tried this method but I keep getting a package verification failure notification.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2251 posts
146 upvotes
Havo wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2016 9:02 pm
Just tried this method but I keep getting a package verification failure notification.
Sounds like a download failure to me. Download it again.
Dec 16, 2012
490 posts
85 upvotes
Barrie, ON
My mother needs a cheap phone, she had the mlias M7 for ever now and has been happy with it but it suddenly just stopped working (its been a few years, it doesn't owe me anything) so what would you guys recommend... I have had the note 3 pro forever as well and love it...ita around 230 bux, what do you guys think of that? Or is there a better option around that price range... One of the things she liked about the M7 is it had a case where when you shut it it showed the time in the hole in the case...but not too many do that anymore
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2251 posts
146 upvotes
Are you sure you are downloading the correct version for your phone?
Oct 11, 2007
221 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Will he MI 5 work well on Rogers. i know it does not support all the LTE bands. Would the missing bands be a deal breaker?