the Chinese-Phone Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 11th, 2017 6:32 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
3818 posts
557 upvotes
Any suggestion for roughly $200 and no bigger than 5"? This is for a friend of mine. I have a Redmi Note 2 but these are too big for him. Looked at Redmi 3S but doesn't have a 4G/LTE 2600 band. He's with Koodo/Telus.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11356 posts
1000 upvotes
Kanata
JustBob wrote:
Dec 8th, 2016 10:36 pm
Any suggestion for roughly $200 and no bigger than 5"? This is for a friend of mine. I have a Redmi Note 2 but these are too big for him. Looked at Redmi 3S but doesn't have a 4G/LTE 2600 band. He's with Koodo/Telus.
Xiaomi Mi4c or maybe a used OnePlus X
Sep 15, 2012
141 posts
9 upvotes
CARLETON PLACE
Any though between Redmi Note 3 pro (or 4) or the Mi Max (I know it is 6.44 screen) they are about the same price $180 ish US. I have the Let x500 and love it but the screen cracked and I am not comfortable in replacing the screen. Any ideas would be appreciated.T hanks!
Feb 17, 2002
910 posts
18 upvotes
Friend bought a Huawei Maimang 5 (MLA-AL10), she's wondering if it'll work here in Canada. She's with Telus.

Thanks!
Dec 26, 2012
773 posts
233 upvotes
Does anyone know what the cheapest method of shipping back to china with tracking would be? I can't find anything under $65-70 with tracking (Canada post). UPS and Fedex are considerably more expensive.
Aug 30, 2012
77 posts
22 upvotes
It will be hard to find "cheap" shipping options with tracking other than the the post office .Careful how you describe the goods being shipped as shipper may refuse due to battery in phone so make sure item is described as phone for repair. I had a phone shipped back with the post office without tracking but insurance only . Individual claimed he never got it so I claimed the insurance through Canada Post and had to fight for nine months to get the money as CP wanted to argue not allowed to ship phone with a battery.
Nov 29, 2013
70 posts
31 upvotes
Taiphun wrote:
Dec 26th, 2016 5:08 pm
Friend bought a Huawei Maimang 5 (MLA-AL10), she's wondering if it'll work here in Canada. She's with Telus.

Thanks!
It's Bands 1/3/5/7, so it technically would work in some places. Telus has support officially for Bands 2,4,5,7,12,13,17,29, dependent on your market area.
Please give me a thumbs up if my answer helps!
Sell me your old phones! I like to tinker!

Current Phones: Samsung Galaxy S5, Motorola G 3rd Gen, Huawei P9+
Current Plan: 8GB Koodo Promo Plan for $56
May 22, 2017
4 posts
Hi, I bought the cubot max and put in my BELL sim card but I only receive data. i cannot make a phone call or receive any.

How can i get this to work? I have version 11 software on it, is there a software update?

Please help, i really do not want to ship this back to china and waste more money on shipping.

PLEASE HELP!
Dec 22, 2014
470 posts
101 upvotes
Regina, SK
GeorginaA481064 wrote:
May 23rd, 2017 3:26 pm
Hi, I bought the cubot max and put in my BELL sim card but I only receive data. i cannot make a phone call or receive any.

How can i get this to work? I have version 11 software on it, is there a software update?

Please help, i really do not want to ship this back to china and waste more money on shipping.

PLEASE HELP!
Looking at the phone specs it looks like it has very limited compatibility with Canadian networks. No 3G coverage, which is typically where voice calls occur with Canadian carriers, which is likely why you can't make or receive calls. It looks like you have one 4G/LTE band covered, which is where your data would be coming from.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
3849 posts
1258 upvotes
BC
GeorginaA481064 wrote:
May 23rd, 2017 5:44 pm
Oh boy, so I just lost $300 bux? is there no way to get this going?
It looks like you're out $300 (that sounds too much to pay for the phone you have mentioned) unless you want to go with a data only plan and use Fongo for calls/texts. If this was a Qualcomm phone, there might have been potential to get an expert to unlock one of the 3G bands. Can you return the phone?

Edit: Have you tried using it on Rogers? It looks like you can call/text on Rogers 2G (until they shut the network down next year).

A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Nov 19, 2013
6 posts
Toronto
Hi all!
I'm kinda new to this thread but I'm looking to get the Oneplus 3t from Aliexpress, but not sure if the China version will work here nicely. Especially for the LTE network
On the product details it shows this under 4G network:
"4G: TDD-LTE:B38/B39/B40/B41
FDD-LTE:B1/B3/B5/B7/B8 CDMA EVDO: BC0"

And from what I read Rogers has support Band 7. Is that enough for it to work well in Canada?
I live in the GTA area Markham/Scarborough, if that information would help.

Thanks in advance!
May 22, 2017
4 posts
Hi and thank you .

Yes, i still have the 45 day return available minus shipping.

Time to ship it back.

Thanks
May 22, 2017
4 posts
Hi, just spoke to support and they say:

Yes, Cubot Max has support 3G WCDMA networks
These are the 3G WCDMA bands that supports the Cubot Max :

2100 900

Why does not my bell work?