• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2004 10:02 am
Tags:
None
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
560 upvotes
Futuristic_Eel wrote:I go to school near the House of Chan and it seems more like a brothel than a steakhouse to me. I mean, what type of restaurant has no windows and heavy doors? It's just uninviting, unless you're looking for a good time. By the way, I'm Chinese and thus I'm accustomed to restaurants with large windows stained with grease from chickens dangling on the racks behind them, so my opinion might be biased.
house of chan was ranked best steak house in toronto out of ruth's chris, morton's, etc... in a review i read i think few months or maybe last year in a special article somewhere. i wanna go try ..just need to save up first
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
1674 posts
2 upvotes
Futuristic_Eel wrote:I go to school near the House of Chan and it seems more like a brothel than a steakhouse to me. I mean, what type of restaurant has no windows and heavy doors? It's just uninviting, unless you're looking for a good time. By the way, I'm Chinese and thus I'm accustomed to restaurants with large windows stained with grease from chickens dangling on the racks behind them, so my opinion might be biased.
we're not denying that house of chan can be one of the best but i have to agree with him and saying that place is uninviting. i live a few minutes away and never bothered to check the place out cuz it looks so mysterious and scary.
are the owners chinese?

future, do u go to forest hill? if so, i didn't know they had chinese folks there, i used to go there and im chinese, i thought everyone at that skool was jewish
Nov 13, 2004
276 posts
2 upvotes
No, I go to St. Mike's. My friends and I usually try new restaurants after classes on Fridays, but never once has it occurred to us to visit the House of Chan. I'm not denying that their food is good, but an ambient setting must accompany the good cooking, if it wants to attract customers. Frankly, I don't find windowless stores appealing.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2004
2690 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
ChinpokoMon wrote: Check out Amigo Steak & Seafood House.
633 Silver Star Blvd
(416) 293-6683
It's located in a relatively new strip mall area with quite a few other Chinese restaurants, about 1 minute drive away from PacMall.
Pyro wrote:i hear it sucks here
Amigo was pretty good, but non specials are quite pricey
Narci wrote: I think it's the same owners as Dickens cause the menus are exactly the same.
Degenerate wrote:yup you're right they also exactly as crappy
Dickens and Arc de Triumphe are not bad :razz:
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
2197 posts
gilboman wrote:house of chan was ranked best steak house in toronto out of ruth's chris, morton's, etc... in a review i read i think few months or maybe last year in a special article somewhere. i wanna go try ..just need to save up first

How much is a steak at House of Chans. How much is it for Ruth's?

I really dont know, but I like to visit them if hte price isnt crazy
Banned
Jul 13, 2003
5232 posts
5 upvotes
silentio wrote:How much is a steak at House of Chans. How much is it for Ruth's?

I really dont know, but I like to visit them if hte price isnt crazy
like $50-$60 for the meat. No sides.....
"It's a case of mind over matter. I don't mind, and you don't matter" - Bret Hart
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
2197 posts
Degenerate wrote:like $50-$60 for the meat. No sides.....

Jesus... You could have bought the whole cow for that price last summer.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2002
2863 posts
265 upvotes
I think Amigo is good. The Scarborough Dickens is better than the one at Golden. Most other places suck .. Boston and Gold Horse are BAD. Do NOT go.

hrmm. what else.. Garden (Brimley & Sheppard) is fine for me. But for steaks, why not go to a real steakhouse?

oh one more.. Day & Night was fine in the first few yrs it was opened.. but I guess lately it has changed owner and it sux like sh*t now.. I didn't try dinner but I can see all servers are middle-age men now wearing old fashion uniforms.. their service attitude is fine but again very old fashion.. i stop going anymore
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
560 upvotes
nx2k wrote:damn, talk about an expensive menu
compared to chris ruth's its a good deal... the steaks at houseofchan is about 10bux cheaper from ruth's and comes with salad and a side. whereas chris ruth's dont come with anything at all and you need to order salad and side if you want them. I think i may try houseofchan during the holiday period.