Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
63 upvotes
espeed wrote:
Nov 5th, 2008 4:38 pm
oh yeah I heard recently that it's cheaper to process your VISA to China if you get it in Hong Kong, is that true?
You no longer can get your visa in HK unless you're an HK resident:

"Travellers should be aware that visas for mainland China can no longer be obtained in Hong Kong unless the traveller is a Hong Kong resident. "

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/dest/report-en. ... ntry=55000
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
4710 posts
94 upvotes
Oakville
The 2010 Visa application requirements ask for a recent 2" x 2" colour photo.

Has anyone applied lately with the regular passport-sized photo? (i.e. not square but rectangular)

Just curious if they'll reject the application with the common passport photo dimensions.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13297 posts
721 upvotes
gmark2000 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2010 10:17 pm

Has anyone applied lately with the regular passport-sized photo? (i.e. not square but rectangular)

Just curious if they'll reject the application with the common passport photo dimensions.
We used standard passport photos from Blacks
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
4710 posts
94 upvotes
Oakville
nalababe wrote:
Jul 15th, 2010 11:32 pm
We used standard passport photos from Blacks
Was this visa application this year (2010)?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16468 posts
2128 upvotes
Do Canadians need a visa to enter Shenzhen from HK? Or are there Shenzhen only border visas available at then HK -> Mainland crossing?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9337 posts
464 upvotes
Markham
coolspot wrote:
Jul 16th, 2010 10:38 am
Do Canadians need a visa to enter Shenzhen from HK? Or are there Shenzhen only border visas available at then HK -> Mainland crossing?
Yes, should be possible to get a visa for the Shenzhen Economic Zone at the border for certain nationalities (for example Canadians can get it, but not Americans). The train stations have a China travel agency that can let you get that special visa.

There's another border between Shenzhen and the rest of China that's sometimes patrolled, so don't roam outside it or you could get in trouble on that visa.
:lol:
Nov 20, 2006
793 posts
15 upvotes
Vancouver
Hairball wrote:
Jul 16th, 2010 2:26 pm
Yes, should be possible to get a visa for the Shenzhen Economic Zone at the border for certain nationalities (for example Canadians can get it, but not Americans). The train stations have a China travel agency that can let you get that special visa.

There's another border between Shenzhen and the rest of China that's sometimes patrolled, so don't roam outside it or you could get in trouble on that visa.
The special visa is only valid for 5 days.

Also the "Shenzhen border" is joke. I've been through the inspection points at least a dozen times and have never seen them stop a vehicle. Plus if you travel out of Shenzhen by plane or train there is no inspection at all.

But then again the regular Chinese visa is only $50 so it's probably not worth the risk.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
1997 posts
169 upvotes
gmark2000 wrote:

Got passport photos at Costco and obtained China Visas back in May.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9337 posts
464 upvotes
Markham
iamzill wrote:
Jul 16th, 2010 2:58 pm
The special visa is only valid for 5 days.

Also the "Shenzhen border" is joke. I've been through the inspection points at least a dozen times and have never seen them stop a vehicle. Plus if you travel out of Shenzhen by plane or train there is no inspection at all.

But then again the regular Chinese visa is only $50 so it's probably not worth the risk.
I've only been by it once and it wasn't patrolled, but just bringing it up in case people were thinking about "stretching" it.

I did have a regular visitor visa at the time though so it was ok.
:lol:
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
4710 posts
94 upvotes
Oakville
Went to the consulate on Monday and they accepted the regular-sized passport photo in addition to the 2"x2" stipulated photos.

BTW, the Toronto Consulate doesn't take cash anymore at pick-up (effective March 1, 2010). Just money order/bank draft OR Interac debit card.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2098 posts
118 upvotes
mingming wrote:
Mar 28th, 2008 7:11 pm
we just went to those $3 photo-booths at the mall, no problems at all.

we had 4 friends and ran in and out as quick as we can to get a pic for each of us. it took 2 tries, but at least it was still cheap!
haha
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18396 posts
288 upvotes
YVR
gmark2000 wrote:
Jul 21st, 2010 10:37 am
Went to the consulate on Monday and they accepted the regular-sized passport photo in addition to the 2"x2" stipulated photos.

BTW, the Toronto Consulate doesn't take cash anymore at pick-up (effective March 1, 2010). Just money order/bank draft OR Interac debit card.
The Vancouver office stopped taking cash years ago. I've always had to use my debit card when I'm there to get my visa.
Dec 22, 2004
20 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver Island
gmark2000 wrote:

We applied in March/2010 with photos (also for China entry visa) taken in HK about 4-5 years ago with no problem! I don't think we will take the chance and try it again.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2004
1058 posts
284 upvotes
Victoria
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2010 6:51 pm
The Vancouver office stopped taking cash years ago. I've always had to use my debit card when I'm there to get my visa.
Could I ask you how much it is in Vancouver for a double entry Visa?
There are local folks here in Victoria charging $125 for each of us.
Not sure if I will save $ to go to Vancouver.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18396 posts
288 upvotes
YVR
dickybird wrote:
Jul 26th, 2010 10:17 pm
Could I ask you how much it is in Vancouver for a double entry Visa?
There are local folks here in Victoria charging $125 for each of us.
Not sure if I will save $ to go to Vancouver.
No idea, I've never bought a double entry visa before. I'm not sure if it's worth coming to Vancouver just to save a few dollars. IIRC, a single entry visa is already $50. It really depends on how much money you want to save. You'll have to make at least 2 trips because I don't think they issue same-day visas. Even if they do, they'll most likely charge you a premium for it.