Automotive

Chipmaster Markham Review

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2017 6:34 pm
Jun 15, 2011
38591 posts
5574 upvotes
King City
Not saying he's not reputable but I found his quote pricey.
djemzine wrote:
Sep 11th, 2012 12:54 pm
So I went to Chip Master and met Ron. Great guy. However, the work he did an estimate on, basically removing a small dent from the back bumper and on the side panel by the windshield on the driver's side, sanding to remove the small chips and paint it. He's quoting me with the RFD group buy discount $750 + taxes.
recommended-place-fixes-body-chips-etc-1226025/2/

Eventually I got the job done at another mechanic I know for a longer period of time in Scarborough (far yes) for half the cost and did a great job too.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Feb 10, 2007
2680 posts
280 upvotes
djemzine wrote:
Mar 19th, 2013 2:38 pm
Not saying he's not reputable but I found his quote pricey.

recommended-place-fixes-body-chips-etc-1226025/2/

Eventually I got the job done at another mechanic I know for a longer period of time in Scarborough (far yes) for half the cost and did a great job too.
In the end you know the job will be done right. There's no worry for when you're waiting to pick up the car. I can't say the price is expensive.

I guess the same goes for the Robinson Auto fiasco.
BlackJays wrote:
Mar 13th, 2010 6:02 pm
shame has been acheived
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2587 posts
400 upvotes
Kagaaruk, NU
navyseals wrote:
Mar 19th, 2013 4:35 pm
Yeah it's higher end price but in the end you know the job will be done right. There's no worry for when you're waiting to pick up the car. If price isn't an issue, then chipmaster is good. I guess the same goes for the Robinson Auto fiasco.
except that ron doesn't charge extra for three rolls of masking tape for every repaint
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5444 posts
1014 upvotes
???
dc200 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2013 4:39 pm
except that ron doesn't charge extra for three rolls of masking tape for every repaint
Lololol
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2680 posts
280 upvotes
dc200 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2013 4:39 pm
lmao well we all know ron is awesome.
BlackJays wrote:
Mar 13th, 2010 6:02 pm
shame has been acheived
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
2871 posts
202 upvotes
If I can say just one thing about Ron, i think most would agree that the way he handles his customers whether it be a praise or a problem is damn spectacular.

I got some parts(a full wings west lip kit) painted by him last year. The parts were brand new and are a polyu material...hence rather flexible. After the first time they were painted I had some issues with the paint not sticking and peeling off along with the primer much like a bed-sheet being lifted off. I contacted Ron and without any fuss he simply said "bring them back as soon as you can". Since the parts were brand new chances are the oily material used on the molds was not washed away fully and some stuck around causing issues with the bond between primer and material. One thing I did notice though is that even though the paint peeled off it didn't crack and chip off...which from my limited knowledge would show that the proper care and flex agent had been used...the parts just needed some more careful washing/degreasing. Nevertheless, I took them back and they were all redone within a week and half.

Going forward four-five months all was good until I managed to hit something solid on the hwy and somewhat messing up the front lip. Since it was winter I just decided to let it be and pay to get it redone in the spring/summer. A few months later(weeks ago) the paint in one of the sideskirts cracked again and lifted about half the length of the side skirt. This time around I was actually somewhat mad it happened as i could lift the paint like a paper with my finger and on my email to Ron that probably showed a bit too. The main thing that aggravated me was as to why it kept happening to me when others have had the same kit painted without issues before.

However to my surprise Ron actually emailed me back within an hour(at 10pm at night on a friday) once again with no fuss or issues, and just asked me to come by and bring the part in so we could find out what happened. A part of me was expecting being told "sorry but too bad" and what I got was the total 180 of that. After I saw Ron he just said "take it all off and i'll do everything even if not all parts were damaged. He was kind enough to actually even do the front lip which was by no fault his problem at all for the damage on it. Since then, I had the parts redone a 3rd time and currently waiting for the weather to warm a tad before they go on the car again.

I'll go ahead and admit that getting stuff painted 3 times to some may trigger alarms and issues...but personally to me the fact that Ron cares enough to do what he can to make it right is the most important aspect. Very seldom will businesses say "bring it back and i'll make it right for you" without making excuses for themselves. Personally I actually feel in debt to him for the way he's treated me.

Ron, if you're reading this...You Rock!!! =P
:arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :cheesygri :eek:
Nov 20, 2007
337 posts
17 upvotes
I had the pleasure and privilege to deal with Ron from Chipmaster a bit ago and wanted to share my incredibly positive experience. I guess it should go here instead of a new thread in the automotive section. .

Earlier in the year, I returned to my vehicle at a mall prking lot on a Sunday afternoon to find a large gash and scratches across my front bumper. A not so friendly fellow mall patron must have done the damaged while pulling in to park or pulling out. As you would expect, no courtesy note was left.

I began thinking about fixing the damage or leaving it for a later date. A few months prior, I came across Chipmaster on Red Flag Deals and heard some good things from people who dealt with Ron. I contacted Ron by email on behalf of a friend at the time not expecting much. To my surprise, I received a response shortly after with an estimate and answers to all our questions. My friend chose to hold off at the time and we left it at that.

Following my personal incident, I emailed Ron Sunday evening with pictures of the damage requesting an estimate. To my surprise, Ron got back to me shortly after the same Sunday evening with a very reasonable estimate and answers to all my questions. I was quoted at least double at other shops I followed up with. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. Where else would you find a place to provide you prompt responses to your questions via email on a Sunday evening? Talk about customer service.

Following some quick correspondences back and forth, I’ve decided to go with Chipmaster. Ron was more than accommodating with when to bring in the vehicle. We agreed to have me drop it off the following week. A few days later, I had to reschedule last minute due to unforeseen circumstances. Again, Ron was pleasant, professional and accommodating working around my schedule which is usually not that flexible. We rescheduled for the following Wednesday.

Ron opens his doors at 6 AM and finishes late so I was able to bring my vehicle to him around 7:00 AM. I initially pulled up to Ron’s old location on the West side of Laidlaw. I did not realize they already moved to their new location at 1 Laidlaw on the East side right across the street where Maaco collision was previously.

If you plan to visit Chipmaster, keep the following in mind. They were previously located at 8 Laidlaw right next to another shop called Street Extreme sharing the same parking lot and building. There is a different Ron working there. Since the end of January, Street Extreme took over the adjacent unit Chipmaster previously had. *As you can imagine, having two Ron’s in adjacent shops (although they don’t look anything alike) may have caused some confusion for customers in the past (me included) and it might continue to do so for those who are not aware Chipmaster has moved. I’ve dealt with both Ron’s and they are good people from my experience. However, if you are looking to deal with Chipmaster, make sure you are dealing with the right Ron at his new shop at 1 Laidlaw.

When I first dropped off the car, Ron was kind enough to give me a lift to where I needed to be. He appeared personable, professional and genuinely enjoying what he does. He advised the vehicle will be ready the next morning. I’m normally very nervous about leaving my vehicle overnight for repairs or with someone else but I felt more than comfortable and worry free leaving it in Ron’s capable hands. The new shop is spacious and clean (although they were in the midst of moving). It sits on its own with ample parking unlike many of the smaller shops you might come across which are all piled on top of one another in an industrial stretch. First impressions were good all around.

As promised, Ron emailed me Thursday morning to advise the vehicle was ready. I made my way there in the afternoon. As I approached the shop, my vehicle parked by the front door. It looked washed and detailed both inside and out. Quite honestly, it looked better than the day I picked it up brand new 4 years ago. I inspected the repair up closely for a few minutes before going in and the work looked terrific. Ron also took the liberty to care of stone chips the bumper was riddled with from day to day driving without me asking for it.

I went in, found Ron in the shop, went outside with him to inspect the vehicle and answer a few additional questions. I parted with Ron as an incredibly happy customer. Even after the encounter, I had some follow up questions and Ron he continued to be prompt, courteous and eager to please. As you we all know, the quality of repair should be judged by how the repairs hold up over time. It has been about 2 months since the work was complete. I had to the opportunity to test out the repair by doing quite a bit of driving in heavy, rough and incredibly cold/snowy road conditions. Everything is holding up incredibly well and looks exactly how it first did when I picked it up. The work is guaranteed and although many other shops promise the same but rarely deliver, I am confident Ron stands behind his promises if the need ever arises.

By my high standards and having firsthand knowledge of the auto and insurance industries, Chipmaster definitely delivered for me. I can honestly say this was one the best customer service experiences I ever had. Ron helped me turn a frustrating experience into a more than pleasant one and I applaud him for it. I have and will be directing everyone else I know to Ron to take care of their vehicles. I highly recommend Chipmaster and Ron for anyone considering paying him a visit or shooting him a note. You will not be disappointed.

(My applogies for the lengthy review but I feel this would have been useful for me prior to making my decision. I did provide the same info in the group buy thread as well).
May 30, 2013
2 posts
1 upvote
These guys lied to me when I dealt with them. They claimed to have re painted the whole rear end of my car after they got me a rear bumper and fixed a dent in my rear quarter panel, all paid for by my insurance company due to a hit and run situation. The car looked great the day I picked it up. After taking a closer look at my paint, I noticed it has buffer trails all over it. My car had a paint correction done by Wes.R of http://oriondetailing.co/ before my situation with Chipmaster, so I knew what condition my paint was in before dropping it to them. They did nothing but hack the sh*t out of my paint with a buffer. The rear bumper was not placed on the car properly.. Both my exhaust tips rub on my rear valance causing the paint to now burn once the tips heat up. The quarter panel has started bubbling as well.. after only 4 months of being painted? WTF.. Ive taken my car to several body shops since and they have all stated that job was not done properly. Will never go back there.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
2871 posts
202 upvotes
OdaneT wrote:
May 31st, 2013 6:01 pm
These guys lied to me when I dealt with them. They claimed to have re painted the whole rear end of my car after they got me a rear bumper and fixed a dent in my rear quarter panel, all paid for by my insurance company due to a hit and run situation. The car looked great the day I picked it up. After taking a closer look at my paint, I noticed it has buffer trails all over it. My car had a paint correction done by Wes.R of http://oriondetailing.co/ before my situation with Chipmaster, so I knew what condition my paint was in before dropping it to them. They did nothing but hack the sh*t out of my paint with a buffer. The rear bumper was not placed on the car properly.. Both my exhaust tips rub on my rear valance causing the paint to now burn once the tips heat up. The quarter panel has started bubbling as well.. after only 4 months of being painted? WTF.. Ive taken my car to several body shops since and they have all stated that job was not done properly. Will never go back there.
So ummm did you ever actually contact Chipmasters/Ron about the issues you're having? or did you just think "meh lets just post online about it"
what did Ron say if you did confront him about the issues? any pictures?
:arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :cheesygri :eek:
Aug 13, 2009
961 posts
64 upvotes
OdaneT wrote:
May 31st, 1st post. Don't think I believe you. Ron did a great job on my car. Review in the groupbuy thread.
Nov 30, 2010
920 posts
276 upvotes
Scarborough
OdaneT wrote:
nice job promoting orion detailing? ;)
May 30, 2013
2 posts
1 upvote
kazkira wrote:
Jun 1st, 2013 12:13 am
May 31st, 1st post. Don't think I believe you. Ron did a great job on my car. Review in the groupbuy thread.
I could care less if you believe me or not. Big deal if its my first post, I joined to write my review... Just because Ron has good customer service does not mean every car coming out of Chipmaster is getting the best quality work done to it. I bet Ron didn't even touch my car... Hes not the only *****ing guy in the shop... lol You guys on here praise this place.. And its so funny. They did a ***** JOB period.. Why lie to me about painting the REAR END of my car?? these guys took advantage of me and my situation. They saw the money they could make and took the cheap ROUTE.. Simple.

And I did go back to Ron and point out the over spray and swirls all over the supposed re painted rear end of my car.. He claims they would never do that and offered to polish it.. But why would a car that just got fresh paint need to be polished? I never went back there.. Shady ***** place.

No one is promoting Orion.. I simply put the site up just to show what type of work was done to my car before it went to Chipmaster SMH..
Jun 21, 2009
829 posts
183 upvotes
I have seen OdaneT's car in person before and after the "repairs" done by Chipmaster, and I can verify that he is not making any of this up. The areas that had work done are highly swirled up now, while the rest of the car is swirl-free. The paint has bubbled in multiple spots covered by the repair as well, and there is an alignment issue on the rear bumper cover, which has now CRACKED due to the exhaust tip rubbing on the cutout.

The bottom line is, the work (and I use that term loosely) done by Chipmaster was extremely shoddy. It was actually I who recommended Chipmaster to him based on the glowing reviews on here..
Jul 11, 2012
10 posts
1 upvote
NORTH YORK
Hello, I just had the back bumper of my Volvo XC60 repaired (cracked, dented) by Ron at Chipmaster and he did an outstanding job. I'm very picky and looked at the repair job and could not tell that it was fixed up. The paint matched perfectly, but of course time will tell how well it holds up. Ron is very professional and maintains a clean operation unlike other places. He was able to provide a quote through emailed pictures. He even came to the shop on a Sunday when he's normally closed to give me the car so I would have it for Monday morning. He had the most reasonable quotation compared to three other shops. In summary, I would highly recommend him for his outstanding service.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)