Food & Drink

Chocolate how long after expiry date can you eat it or store it?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2007 1:45 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
3630 posts
4 upvotes

Chocolate how long after expiry date can you eat it or store it?

I bought some chocolate a little while ago and it is expiring soon!
Also I saw that you can buy recently expired chocolate bars online for pretty cheap.

Now I was wondering how many months after the expiry date can you eat chocolate for?

I know that not all chocolate at the store even has expiry dates on it, so you might not even know how "old" that chocolate bar really is.

Anyway, just wondering people's opinions on this.
Also would you eat "expired" chocolate?

I'm just asking because I posted in the hot deals section about how chocodirect is having a very good clerance sale for items expiring in September.
I didn't buy too much, as I already have chocolate at home that is expiring soon. :)
This user has no signature! :| :| :|
5 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2005
3243 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
This may gross people out but I'm still eating Reese's peanut butter ball candy from 2001. :cheesygri

It's still good! It's kept in the fridge.

I think that chocolate can be eaten quite a while after an expiry date if it's kept refridgerated. It doesn't spoil but the flavour will become less intense and it may change colour due to the sugars(?) moving to the surface.

I don't think I would recommend years though...
It's called "Google", use it before wasting my time. ;)

And yet another blog.
Banned
Jul 10, 2005
1226 posts
Montreal
If the chocolate doesn't have any other ingredients, such as, caramel, peanuts ... it can still taste good.

Although if you're eating an expired Mars, Babe Ruth bars or the like, the stuff inside won't be fresh. Peanuts aren't crunchy, the caramel solidifies..

I don't think chocolate alone really expires, even less if it's dark chocolate. Seems like if it doesn't have all the sugar or dairy ingredients as milk chocolate, it's not as bad.

I don't mind eating expired candy.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5429 posts
172 upvotes
BC
if its about to expire and you wont be eating it right away, put it in the freezer.
That's my 2cents worth
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
3630 posts
4 upvotes
Keelie wrote:
Aug 19th, 2007 1:03 pm
if its about to expire and you wont be eating it right away, put it in the freezer.
Thanks!

I usually put my chocolate bars in the fridge at least in a ziplock bag as I don't want them to smell like anything else in there.

Right now I have some chocolate that "expired" in March and also some expiring in September, so I'm trying not to stock up too much..even though the chocodirect deals this month look really good!

I only bought myself 1 chocolate bar from there this month, but do/did have my eye on the Cote d'or white chocolates. Trying not to place an other order, but might...not sure yet :lol:
This user has no signature! :| :| :|
Jul 25, 2006
917 posts
44 upvotes
Hamilton
It'll probably turn white if you put it in the freezer. It'll still be ok, but will lose some flavour.
× < >