Hot Deals

[Choice Hotels] Hotel near Times Square 112$USD per night.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2017 1:50 pm
[OP]
Dec 23, 2008
157 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto

Hotel near Times Square 112$USD per night.

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
40-65%
Expiry:
September 1, 2017
Retailer:
Choice Hotels
Hey guys,

I wanted to contribute a little something to help fellow RFDers who like to travel a little and save some cash. For visibility, I decided to make a Hot Deal out of this technique to show you possibilites. I'll start with the deal for those who want to skip the blabla and explain it afterwards.

DEAL: $112USD per night instead of 199/249.
Checkin: September 1st to September 3rd (purposely chose the long weekend for anyone looking to go out!)
Hotel: CLARION HOTEL PARK AVENUE (this can vary a lot but for this deal, it's them).
Distance: About a 10 min walk from the heart of Times Square

Link: https://www.choicehotels.com/new-york/n ... anCode=SRD
How to pay: Using Choice Hotel Points (12,000 right now instead of the normal 30,000)

Ok now the explanation for those who aren't familiar with choice hotel points:

Like you can imagine, you earn points when you stay at their hotels BUT anyone can apply for a choice points card and PURCHASE points. Every card member can buy upto 50,000 points per year.

Here are the rates for buying points (which has a promotion as we speak if you buy in bulk):

Promotion:
1,000 - 4,000 points = No offer
5,000 - 14,000 points = 10% discount
15,000 - 29,000 points = 15% discount
30,000 - 39,000 points = 25% discount
40,000 - 50,000 points = 30% discount

1000 points = $11 USD
24,000 points (this room for 2 nights on a WEEKEND!!!): $224.40USD (due to promotion)
This makes this deal $112 per night instead of the going rate of 199/249.

Sure there's a little bit of hassle if you are new to setup your account but I have been traveling this way for years. A few months ago, I stayed at the CAMBRIA HOTEL & SUITES NEW YORK - TIMES SQUARE for 8.000 points per night ($80) instead of their going rates of $349.

Alright hopefully it's ok I posted it in this forum as there is a deal here.

I'll check back if anyone has any questions.

Cheers.
29 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5073 posts
883 upvotes
Montreal
Pretty sweet "hack". Choice Hotels are my go-to when I need a cheap place to stay since I get a great discount through work. Never paid much attention to their loyalty program, though, as I don't stay there as much as I used to.

I wouldn't recommend that hotel, however. I stayed there for 3 nights last September. The rooms are incredibly tiny with no natural light. It's also a 20 minute walk to Times Square, not 10.
Oct 26, 2006
132 posts
14 upvotes
Kitchener
Interesting. Can you point us to the Choice Points Card and the option to purchase points? Doesn't seem to be in the original link.

Hotels.com seems to have a Stay 10 Nights and Get the 11th for Free, but that's all I'm able to see in terms of promotions.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
2431 posts
527 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
That's about 20.00 CAD per hour of after tax income to sleep. I would never sleep.
[OP]
Dec 23, 2008
157 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
@psyko514 : You're right that it isn't the best hotel I've stayed at near Times Square but generally speaking, affordable hotels in that area are tiny and not in fantastic shape but we're only there to sleep. There's so much to do in NYC that it's pretty action-packed.

Another protip: When you go to the Public Museums in NYC, they usually charge anywhere from 20-40$ per person. You should know that it's a SUGGESTED price. You can give them 1$ if you want and they have to give you access. I'm not saying to not support the museums but personally, 20-40$ is ridiculous and I usually give them $10 for my wife and I.

@compypaul : Go to www.choicehotels.com and join at the top right. Once you're a member, you will see the option to buy points in the dropdown menu at the top right (you have to be logged in to see this).
Jan 25, 2008
963 posts
292 upvotes
Laval
I'm on choicehotels but not seeing price in points...only price in USD.

I'm logged in with a brand new account.
[OP]
Dec 23, 2008
157 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
mtlmonk wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 12:18 pm
I'm on choicehotels but not seeing price in points...only price in USD.

I'm logged in with a brand new account.
You mean searching hotels by points?

If so, go to www.choicehotels.com and choose reward points. I'll add a pic.
Images
  • choicehotels.PNG
[OP]
Dec 23, 2008
157 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
To buy points, when you have your account. Top right should have a dropdown menu like this to buy points.
Images
  • buy points.PNG
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
18884 posts
115951 upvotes
GTA
plangevin wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 12:03 pm

Another protip: When you go to the Public Museums in NYC, they usually charge anywhere from 20-40$ per person. You should know that it's a SUGGESTED price. You can give them 1$ if you want and they have to give you access. I'm not saying to not support the museums but personally, 20-40$ is ridiculous and I usually give them $10 for my wife and I.
Only caveat is that you may encounter long lines to buy tickets vs. buying at the suggested price or buying otherwise discounted tickets online.

As a side note, Friday nights at MoMA are free during the summer (after 4PM) up to and including the Friday of the Labour Day weekend.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2010
1516 posts
564 upvotes
Toronto
I believe the RFD affiliate links are redirecting the OP link to hotels.com.

Could be wrong as I don't use ebates a lot, but it's showing 2.5% cashback as well. Not sure if it applies to buying points?

I'm looking at dates in early October and I haven't found any under the Rewards Points available. Does these reward point rates only work for specific dates or am I just unlucky that those dates have sold out? Although it does show for regular rates.
We do case reviews. Period.
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
13051 posts
1707 upvotes
Most rooms in NYC are tiny since space is at a premium. But like others have said, you're not there to sleep.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Mar 1, 2007
145 posts
44 upvotes
GTA
Stayed at this place a while back. Very dated with tiny rooms, essentially just to squeeze by the bed. But the location is nice.
[OP]
Dec 23, 2008
157 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
Oh sorry, I had no idea the links were modified by RFD affiliates.

See my post with the pictures to see exactly how to search them.

Vtse: october is too far. Usually these deals are found within 2-3 weeks of your stay, though there are exceptions. It's also hard because you have to inpit dates.

I was thinking of making a site that just scans the best deals to make life easier for everyone but the last time someone did that with airports, they were sued...
Jun 5, 2010
322 posts
194 upvotes
Ottawa
I am a Choice Privileges member - for a while I was a platinum member (>20 nights per year). A couple of things you should know about reward nights.
  • there is a limited number of rooms available for rewards any given night.
  • Some places you can book same day (eg Northern Ontario), others (eg Florida Keys) require a booking at least a month in advance.
  • you generally do not have much of a choice for the room.
  • sometimes you are treated like a king (best room), and other times like a slob (worst room) it depends on the specific hotel management.
  • reward nights do not collect further reward points
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1849 posts
116 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
baldrick_ca wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 2:41 pm
I am a Choice Privileges member - for a while I was a platinum member (>20 nights per year). A couple of things you should know about reward nights.
  • there is a limited number of rooms available for rewards any given night.
  • Some places you can book same day (eg Northern Ontario), others (eg Florida Keys) require a booking at least a month in advance.
  • you generally do not have much of a choice for the room.
  • sometimes you are treated like a king (best room), and other times like a slob (worst room) it depends on the specific hotel management.
  • reward nights do not collect further reward points
congratulations you got me. i hit my monitor cause I thought there was a bug crawling around on it.....