Hot Deals

[Choice Hotels] Hotel near Times Square 112$USD per night.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2017 1:50 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1060 posts
1477 upvotes
If you really want to save money on hotels, take advantage of Choice Hotels BRG (Best Rate Guarantee). Got so many free 1 nighters with Choice doing this, including 2 free nights in July alone.

"If you happen to find a lower published price for the same date and terms on any other qualified online source, we'll not only match that rate—we'll also give U.S. residents a $50 Reward Card to spend any way you want. International guests (including Canadians) will receive their first night free instead."

https://www.choicehotels.com/deals/best-rate

I find it's fairly easy to find lower rates with the Choice brand. Easiest way for me is to use sites like: Kayak, Hotelscombined, or Trivago.
Aug 8, 2008
953 posts
109 upvotes
Ottawa
plangevin wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 10:56 am
A few months ago, I stayed at the CAMBRIA HOTEL & SUITES NEW YORK - TIMES SQUARE for 8.000 points per night ($80) instead of their going rates of $349.

Alright hopefully it's ok I posted it in this forum as there is a deal here.

I'll check back if anyone has any questions.

Cheers.
Whaaat? That hotel is always 30,000 points (I've been checking for the last year or so)
[OP]
Dec 23, 2008
157 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
Twice i got that hotel for 8000. January and June 2017.
[OP]
Dec 23, 2008
157 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
oj777 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 1:48 pm
If you really want to save money on hotels, take advantage of Choice Hotels BRG (Best Rate Guarantee). Got so many free 1 nighters with Choice doing this, including 2 free nights in July alone.

"If you happen to find a lower published price for the same date and terms on any other qualified online source, we'll not only match that rate—we'll also give U.S. residents a $50 Reward Card to spend any way you want. International guests (including Canadians) will receive their first night free instead."

https://www.choicehotels.com/deals/best-rate

I find it's fairly easy to find lower rates with the Choice brand. Easiest way for me is to use sites like: Kayak, Hotelscombined, or Trivago.
Awesome tip. I always noticed this but never actually tried looking for cheaper options. I'll add this to my new searches!

As for your "so many 1 nighters" stop showboating :-)

Have a good one!
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1373 posts
416 upvotes
Ontario
The BRG offer has been significantly cut back for Americans but is still there for some "international" users such as those in Canada. This may mean less scrutiny by Choice to make sure they don't give out too many free rooms. So may be of benefit to us in Canada. I just loved getting a free room at Distrikt Hotel near Times Square, priced at about $500 US for the night.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1373 posts
416 upvotes
Ontario
Looking around at some places I've stayed before which were a bargain on points, they seem very pricey now. Some are 3 times as many points. Has there been a devaluing of points? I basically see a lot of poor points deals with the exception being this one for NYC. I wouldn't recommend jumping on the points buy promotion unless you are specifically going for NYC on labour day.

The other thing to consider is you'll be paying HST on (higher) USD purchases, and also you will not be eligible for the upcoming fall promotion of stay 2 nights get 8000 points when you pay the best rate price (less auto club discounts) by using good old fashioned cash or cc.
Aug 8, 2008
953 posts
109 upvotes
Ottawa
plangevin wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 5:04 pm
Twice i got that hotel for 8000. January and June 2017.
I'm not sure how you got that. This hotel is always 30,000 . There are no hotels in Manhattan for this amount of points.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
1122 posts
385 upvotes
Ottawa
Great price OP. But if you are willing to spend about twice that, I highly recommend Hotel Mulberry. It's between chinatown and the Italian district. About 300 cad a night but free breakfast (at least when I stayed there a couple of years ago). It is clean, modern and the rooms are a decent size for manhattan. Very close to the subway too.
Mar 1, 2008
608 posts
27 upvotes
Thanks for the tip. I have signed up and purchased the points. Now how do I find out about the deals? So far all hotels I've come across are around 12K points or more and that is just for Niagara Falls. Is there a way to look up 'discounted" points?
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
1091 posts
168 upvotes
FWIW this hotel is incredibly handy and super convenient. https://www.countryinns.com/long-island ... 1/nynyquee

It's not in Manhattan but it's just across in Queens and it's a 10 minute walk from 3 Subway stations servicing 4 subway lines. It's actually more convenient to get to more places on the subway from there than most places in Manhattan (unless you want to take busses too).

Super cheap parking lot across the street too. Very handy for people who want to drive down from Ottawa/Montreal.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
1091 posts
168 upvotes
FWIW this hotel is incredibly handy and super convenient. https://www.countryinns.com/long-island ... 1/nynyquee

It's not in Manhattan but it's just across in Queens and it's a 10 minute walk from 3 Subway stations servicing 4 subway lines. It's actually more convenient to get to more places on the subway from there than most places in Manhattan (unless you want to take busses too).

Super cheap parking lot across the street too. Very handy for people who want to drive down from Ottawa/Montreal.
[OP]
Dec 23, 2008
157 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
cell21 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 8:13 pm
I'm not sure how you got that. This hotel is always 30,000 . There are no hotels in Manhattan for this amount of points.
I tried to bring up my old invoices but the points won't show up.

The cheapest I've ever gotten was for another hotel in Times Square was 6000 per night. In June.
[OP]
Dec 23, 2008
157 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
Survivor2008 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 1:05 pm
Thanks for the tip. I have signed up and purchased the points. Now how do I find out about the deals? So far all hotels I've come across are around 12K points or more and that is just for Niagara Falls. Is there a way to look up 'discounted" points?
Unfortunately, you kinda have to look up the dates but over time I have found ways to make it faster.

Say a hotel is 30k all the time. Look up the hotel and pretend to book for a month. If you see that the average per night is still 30k then there is no deal. If you see that the price is now 28.132 for example, then you know there is at least one night that was discounted. Then start eliminating some dates.

Easiest way I've found so far.

I have stayed in Niagara falls for 8k twice a few years back.

My most common stays are Niagara Falls, Manhattan, Miami, Richmond (I drive to FL every year)
[OP]
Dec 23, 2008
157 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
plangevin wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 1:27 pm
Unfortunately, you kinda have to look up the dates but over time I have found ways to make it faster.

Say a hotel is 30k all the time. Look up the hotel and pretend to book for a month. If you see that the average per night is still 30k then there is no deal. If you see that the price is now 28.132 for example, then you know there is at least one night that was discounted. Then start eliminating some dates.

My most common stays are Niagara Falls, Manhattan, Miami, Richmond (I drive to FL every year)
Here is an example I drew up in 2 minutes. I was searching hotels in October but changed the city to Niagara Falls to see if I could find any deals.

I found QUALITY HOTEL & SUITES AT THE FALLS which is normally 16k+ per night for 8k from October 2nd to the 4th. There may even more dates than that but like I said, I looked for 2 minutes.

All I did was look up hotels from October 1st to October 31st and saw that one of the hotels had an odd cost per night in points. Narrowed it down to the beginning of the month and saw the deal. Now I know that these dates may not be ideal but I'm just trying to show you how I find deals.

Cheers.
Mar 1, 2008
608 posts
27 upvotes
plangevin wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 1:27 pm

thanks i will try doing it that way.
also how do i keep my points active without necessarily using them?