• Dec 17th, 2013 12:23 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 22, 2010
321 posts
9 upvotes

Choosing a Brokerage

I am currently using Questrade but I have been thinking of moving to Interactive Brokers or TD Waterhouse (50k so trades are 9.95)... Anyone have an opinion on which of these three is best? Should I stick with Questrade? Are there hidden fees with IB that I've read about in some forum threads?

I believe there is no market data in IB? So does that mean I can't see any limits on the prices? (No ask or bid?) What else is it missing?
6 replies
Oct 20, 2010
416 posts
75 upvotes
What type of accounts are you looking to open (cash, margin, RRSP, TFSA)? IB doesn't offer any registered accounts.
[OP]
Apr 22, 2010
321 posts
9 upvotes
Margin, have a TFSA currently with Questrade
Penalty Box
Apr 16, 2012
3565 posts
683 upvotes
Greely
TD Waterhouse:

You can have USD. Combine that with Select Service and Borderless account and you can buy stuff in US dollar, bypassing forex fees.

TD Waterhouse has an actual branch so you can withdraw US Cash/Canadian Cash whenever you want.

The crappy thing about TD Waterhouse is that their margin rates are high. like 4%.
Jun 27, 2007
570 posts
101 upvotes
Toronto
Hi Infinitii,

I’m John from Questrade and I’d be happy to help you.

How can we improve your experience with us? Is there something specific I can help you with? Let me know, and I’ll do my best to answer any questions you may have.

John – TeamQuestrade,
Questrade, Inc.
[OP]
Apr 22, 2010
321 posts
9 upvotes
Can you sell options (not buy puts) in TD Waterhouse? Can you do iron condors and all those option strategies with it?