• Sep 4th, 2011 2:12 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
packardbell wrote: Did you ever driven a non power steering vehicle where when you put a wider tires in the front and when you are parking the car you pull a sweat turning the steering wheel. But once you switch back to thinner tires the steering is more bearable?
:razz:
Are you kidding me? This is your response to my calling you out on wheel bearing damage with wider tires? A none power steering vehicle? Where do you get those let alone drive them? A farm vehicle? (and then I think they even have power steering). What has this to do with wide or narrow winter tires? Why do you have the need to make up stuff? :razz:
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
548 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Are you kidding me? This is your response to my calling you out on wheel bearing damage with wider tires? A none power steering vehicle? Where do you get those let alone drive them? A farm vehicle? (and then I think they even have power steering). What has this to do with wide or narrow winter tires? Why do you have the need to make up stuff? :razz:

if you understand rolling resistance you will know what i am refering too. I thought you had a driver's license long enough to know that older cars like early 80's had no power steering at all. I had driven 1982, 83, 84, 86, 87, 88 rabbit gti and sciroccos that did not have power steering. so i don't think you need to go find a farm vehicle to drive. like i said it is called rolling resistance and if you driven a non power steering vehicle by going wider tires you will understand. not everyone has the money or luxury to start off driving vehicles with power steering :D
Dec 2, 2005
946 posts
11 upvotes
Markham
Pete_Coach wrote: Are you kidding me? This is your response to my calling you out on wheel bearing damage with wider tires? A none power steering vehicle? Where do you get those let alone drive them? A farm vehicle? (and then I think they even have power steering). What has this to do with wide or narrow winter tires? Why do you have the need to make up stuff? :razz:

The Lotus Elise has no power steering iirc (the original one had no power brakes either, again iirc).

probably nothing to do with choosing winter tires, but don't think he's making stuff up neither.
I think the point is wider tires cause more stress on steering components including bearings, which is evidence through the increased force to turn the wheels (more easily noticable on a car without power steering). Not sure if that has any measurable additional wear though.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
woodstock827 wrote: The Lotus Elise has no power steering iirc (the original one had no power brakes either, again iirc).
probably nothing to do with choosing winter tires, but don't think he's making stuff up neither.
I think the point is wider tires cause more stress on steering components including bearings, which is evidence through the increased force to turn the wheels (more easily noticable on a car without power steering). Not sure if that has any measurable additional wear though.
Gosh, the "wider" tires in this discussion is stock winter tires as opposed to going bigger for winter tires. The debate was about going narrower than the stock tires.
I cannot fit into a Lotus Elise and have never considered it but, considering it is not much bigger than a go-cart and weighs about as much, I can fully understand it not requiring power steering. I somehow don't think the OP or PB was talking about their Elise with winter tires? My comment was to draw attention to the fact that in todays cars power steering is not an option but a fact (of which we speak, vice 70's or 80's light weight vehicles).
My comment was also saying that tapered wheel bearings would not be affected by wider tires than stock. The wheel bearings are not affected by the side loading in turning direction, they are only in the rotational direction of the wheel. The tire/wheel do not pivot on the wheel bearing but the spindle. That's all.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
548 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Gosh, the "wider" tires in this discussion is stock winter tires as opposed to going bigger for winter tires. The debate was about going narrower than the stock tires.
I cannot fit into a Lotus Elise and have never considered it but, considering it is not much bigger than a go-cart and weighs about as much, I can fully understand it not requiring power steering. I somehow don't think the OP or PB was talking about their Elise with winter tires? My comment was to draw attention to the fact that in todays cars power steering is not an option but a fact (of which we speak, vice 70's or 80's light weight vehicles).
My comment was also saying that tapered wheel bearings would not be affected by wider tires than stock. The wheel bearings are not affected by the side loading in turning direction, they are only in the rotational direction of the wheel. The tire/wheel do not pivot on the wheel bearing but the spindle. That's all.

wrong the wider tire is bigger than stock and the narrow tire is less wide than stock. if only you can read :facepalm: haha

what vehicles today use tapered wheel bearings?? :facepalm: gotcha
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
548 upvotes
woodstock827 wrote: The Lotus Elise has no power steering iirc (the original one had no power brakes either, again iirc).

packardbell wrote: bigger and wider also adds more wear to your wheel bearing and steering. :facepalm:
just like my quote noted early and thank you for reading ;)
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
packardbell wrote: wrong the wider tire is bigger than stock and the narrow tire is less wide than stock. if only you can read :facepalm: haha

what vehicles today use tapered wheel bearings?? :facepalm: gotcha
I try real hard to be helpful and answer to the best of my ability and with the experience I have gathered over 40 years of being in the automotive and aviation business I think that I have some validity to my responses. I am not an amateur shadetree mechanic that posts hundreds of photos of failing cars or inventory of new tools to prove they know stuff. I do admit the photos are sometimes useful for others.
I do not understand though, your attempt at "besting" things others say and/or proving your "manhood" by attacking or starting arguments or trying to (often with nonsensical points) be right. I give up, you wish to be right, OK, you da man. :cry:
Done with you.
Sorry Op that I let your thread degenerate to include my latest comments.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)