Choosing a water filter system

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2019 1:45 pm
[OP]
Nov 1, 2017
464 posts
160 upvotes

Choosing a water filter system

Here's what I was thinking about buying: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B011AJ1JN6/ <- 6 stages

There's also this one that has an extra pH stage: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N0OERWZ/

There's also this one that comes with a pump, which I hear will reduce water waste: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B005LKKMYS/)

Any other options I could consider?
32 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3826 posts
1127 upvotes
Ottawa
Have you had your water tested at a lab? I personally wouldn't spend a dime on water filtration without a lab test.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
1303 posts
207 upvotes
Mississauga
I actually got a call from home depot a couple days ago saying they had a promotion for free home water test and they give you a free $30 gift card to home depot once the test is complete. I know they are going to try to sell me a water filtration system but I will tell them I have to think about it and call them back. I have it booked for next Saturday morning so I can let you know how it goes if your interested.
-Free water test
-free $30 gift card to the depot
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30559 posts
5060 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Home Depot has the test kits in store for free. Take it home, put some water in it and mail it off.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11977 posts
11754 upvotes
Oakville
tommyamaral wrote:
Feb 4th, 2018 9:29 am
I actually got a call from home depot a couple days ago saying they had a promotion for free home water test and they give you a free $30 gift card to home depot once the test is complete. I know they are going to try to sell me a water filtration system but I will tell them I have to think about it and call them back. I have it booked for next Saturday morning so I can let you know how it goes if your interested.
-Free water test
-free $30 gift card to the depot
Gee wrote:
Feb 4th, 2018 10:00 am
Home Depot has the test kits in store for free. Take it home, put some water in it and mail it off.
I wouldn't trust either to test. Have your own independent test done. If you're on city water you'll probably only find chlorine.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16516 posts
2199 upvotes
PerformingAzura wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 1:48 pm
Here's what I was thinking about buying: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B011AJ1JN6/ <- 6 stages
Buy whatever system you can get filters locally ... Costco has a Watts system and Home Depot has several systems.

Check Canadian Water Waterhouse too - I have a 3M/Cuno 4-stage reverse osmosis system that works well.
CaptSmethwick wrote:
Feb 4th, 2018 7:42 am
Have you had your water tested at a lab? I personally wouldn't spend a dime on water filtration without a lab test.
It's mostly for taste removal, I can't drink tap water anymore :(
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3826 posts
1127 upvotes
Ottawa
coolspot wrote:
Feb 4th, 2018 11:28 am
Naturally. Water is either perfectly fine or it's unsafe, or tastes unpleasant. Before I spend anything filtering my water, I still want to know what it is that's causing the unpleasantness or hazard because that is what I need to try to filter out.

We went with Paracel Labs for a full report before we installed a basic Kenmore water softener and a sediment filter. We are on a well and have high mineral content - particularly iron.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30559 posts
5060 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
coolspot wrote:
Depends on how you drink your water. If you drink it cold, you can’t tell the difference. Room temperature, you can smell the chlorine.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16516 posts
2199 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Feb 4th, 2018 12:30 pm
Depends on how you drink your water. If you drink it cold, you can’t tell the difference. Room temperature, you can smell the chlorine.
I can still taste it ... tap water has a funny taste. Maybe its the minerals and not the chlorine.

Brita water tastes flat and stale ... and often picks up fridge smells. Plus Brita only filters like 50 or 100 gallons per filter.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11977 posts
11754 upvotes
Oakville
Gee wrote:
Feb 4th, 2018 12:30 pm
I can taste it cold or warm, but being cold does lesson it.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30559 posts
5060 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I find it harder to taste the difference when it is ice cold.

But I have a whole house softener and a reverse osmosis for drinking.

Question is, do you soften the water before running it through the RO unit or do you run the untreated mineralised water into the RO?
[OP]
Nov 1, 2017
464 posts
160 upvotes
coolspot wrote:
Buy whatever system you can get filters locally ... Costco has a Watts system and Home Depot has several systems.

Check Canadian Water Waterhouse too - I have a 3M/Cuno 4-stage reverse osmosis system that works well.
I've been doing a bit of reading, and it looks like RO filtration systems waste alot of water. (Some people on Costco were quoting 100% increase in their water bills)

Costco sells a "zero waste" system that's supposed to reduce waste water in exchange for reducing the lifespan of the filters., but its expensive and it missing out on some stages (like UV)

I'm now thinking about getting a whole house filter like this one: https://www.costco.ca/Austin-Springs-Wh ... 36242.html (I'm just not sure how inflated this price is)

Stage 1: 25.4 cm (10 in.) sediment pre-filter reduces rust, sediment and silt
Stage 2: A blend of patented copper-zinc media and crushed mineral stone reduces chlorine and water soluble heavy metals and also inhibits the growth of bacteria and algae
Stage 3: Activated carbon reduces herbicides, pesticides and other chemicals compounds

I'm just not sure if it will filter out chloramine.
CaptSmethwick wrote:
Feb 4th, 2018 7:42 am
I had a salesmen come in and do a live test once, but he didn't explain the breakdown of what minerals/chemicals he found.

I bought a tester off Amazon, that gave me a reading of 200ppm, but it also didn't go down into detail on what was in the water.

I just like the taste of carbon filtered water. I'm also a little paranoid so I'd like to have the extra safety of having my own water filtration system.

As an added bonus:
According to the salesman having filtered water should also:
Improve the effectiveness of soaps, laundry detergent, shampoos, and extend the life of my water heater (which I'm also buying new )

If the salemans didn't demand $12 000 (100$/mo for 10years) I probably would have signed up with his company. He gave a very compelling sales pitch.
engineered wrote:
Feb 4th, 2018 11:17 am
I wouldn't trust either to test. Have your own independent test done. If you're on city water you'll probably only find chlorine.
Didn't we switch to chloramine?
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11977 posts
11754 upvotes
Oakville
PerformingAzura wrote:
Feb 17th, 2018 1:51 pm
I've been doing a bit of reading, and it looks like RO filtration systems waste alot of water. (Some people on Costco were quoting 100% increase in their water bills)

Costco sells a "zero waste" system that's supposed to reduce waste water in exchange for reducing the lifespan of the filters., but its expensive and it missing out on some stages (like UV)

I'm now thinking about getting a whole house filter like this one: https://www.costco.ca/Austin-Springs-Wh ... 36242.html (I'm just not sure how inflated this price is)

Stage 1: 25.4 cm (10 in.) sediment pre-filter reduces rust, sediment and silt
Stage 2: A blend of patented copper-zinc media and crushed mineral stone reduces chlorine and water soluble heavy metals and also inhibits the growth of bacteria and algae
Stage 3: Activated carbon reduces herbicides, pesticides and other chemicals compounds

I'm just not sure if it will filter out chloramine.

I had a salesmen come in and do a live test once, but he didn't explain the breakdown of what minerals/chemicals he found.

I bought a tester off Amazon, that gave me a reading of 200ppm, but it also didn't go down into detail on what was in the water.

I just like the taste of carbon filtered water. I'm also a little paranoid so I'd like to have the extra safety of having my own water filtration system.

As an added bonus:
According to the salesman having filtered water should also:
Improve the effectiveness of soaps, laundry detergent, shampoos, and extend the life of my water heater (which I'm also buying new )

If the salemans didn't demand $12 000 (100$/mo for 10years) I probably would have signed up with his company. He gave a very compelling sales pitch.

Didn't we switch to chloramine?
Wow, you'd pay $12k for a water filter? I'm in the wrong business.

Oakville is chlorine, some cities use chloramine. If so just need a different filter for that.
[OP]
Nov 1, 2017
464 posts
160 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Feb 17th, 2018 2:09 pm
Wow, you'd pay $12k for a water filter? I'm in the wrong business.

Oakville is chlorine, some cities use chloramine. If so just need a different filter for that.
I would pay ~1000-1500$ max; and at that price the system better have a filter lifespan of 5 years.

Like I said, once the gave mentioned the price ($12000), we gave him the boot.

He provided (IMHO) good reasons to use filtered water, just very little reason to buy his system.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5349 posts
827 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Wow - I'm surprised in what I read in this thread.

To have to get a "whole house" filter, your water supply has to be pretty bad.

I had a house in the country on a well. The water was quite hard so we got a water softener, but ......
For drinking we bypassed the softener and ran an extra pipe to a faucet in the kitchen without any filter - the minerals that made the water hard actually improved the taste
The "soft" water had a terrible taste when drinking but it worked well for showering, laundry, baths etc.
The only filter after the water softener was a sediment filter that lasted about a year before it had to be changed.

Now we are on city water.
Water softener not needed.
To get rid of the chlorine taste which varies from day to day, I just bought an under the kitchen sink counter filter system for about $50.- that takes $20.- cartridges.

I think the bast way to tackle this is to have your water tested by an independent lab that has no affiliation with any commercial filtering product and then buy something that focuses in removing whatever is in the water that shouldn't be there. With city water that should only be chlorine or some other disinfectant - well water is another issue and it should be tested regularly.