• Dec 7th, 2010 12:11 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 4, 2007
434 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto

Christmas gift for 8 month old boy

I'm looking for a gift for my 8 month old nephew but I don't want to get him any toys or clothes as he already has a ton of those. Any ideas?
8 replies
Aug 24, 2009
140 posts
72 upvotes
Beamsville, ontario
Right now my friends/family are having the same problem with my daughter for both her bday and xmas (both events are only 9 days apart) and as like your nephew, she has tons of toys/clothing. Here's the suggestions I gave them, hopefully this can help you too:

-diapers/wipes (sure, not the greatest present, but the child won't know any different - the parents will appriciate since diapers are expensive)
- books, particularly nice book collections
- since this will be your nephew's first xmas, then why not a 'baby's first christmas' ornament for the tree
- bath toys/bath safety (like the faucet cover)
- if the parents won't be offended - a kid leash - i hate it at malls when parents let their kids run amuck, and my daughter has no problems with strangers, so i already bought her one - walmart has nice ones that aren't too 'leash' like (her's is a monkey backpack with the tail as the leash part...great for dads because they can put their wallet/cell/keys in the kids backpack!)
- artwork for the baby's room
- decorative growth chart
- small kids chair for living room (got her one at toys r us)
- sled for winter/wagon for the spring/summer

...I could go on!
Try to think of what'll get used next year (and even better if the gift can be used in years to come)....kids grow out of toys so quickly that it's better to spend your money on something more useful...and I know for me, the presents my daughter receives don't necessarily need to be used right away (like with a wagon).

Hope this helps! :)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
donation of your choice in the baby's name.

or lotto 6/49 :lol:
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Mar 27, 2003
976 posts
111 upvotes
Vancouver
as a parent, i honestly prefer cash or gift cards. i'm dreading any presents my son will receive this christmas since he's got so many clothes and toys already. :(
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12844 posts
571 upvotes
books and music....

This is what we always always get for our friends kids...at all ages.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
5809 posts
515 upvotes
Greely
An empty cardboard box. :)

If you really need a gift though, these are good options for an 8 month old:

http://www.mastermindtoys.com/Rhino-Toy ... ginal.aspx

http://www.mastermindtoys.com/Sophie-the-Giraffe.aspx

I know Sophie the Giraffe looks kind of expensive for what it is, but both my boys loved this at that age. It's made for chewing on and at 8 months it's the perfect time for it. Both toys above are easy for an 8 month old to grasp.
Aug 24, 2008
79 posts
1 upvote
Hi,

All the ideas suggested sound great. I have one to add: http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp ... Id=2687414. This learning table kept my little ones busy forever! It's great because you can use it when the baby is only able to sit, and then convert it to a table which you can use when he/she stands. Anyone who has this toy has nothing but positive things to say about it.

It's currently on sale on the toysrus website.

Hope it helps.
[OP]
Feb 4, 2007
434 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the great ideas!
× < >