• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2019 2:23 am
[OP]
Jan 7, 2015
386 posts
44 upvotes
GVR

Christmas holidays in Europe

The family will be heading to Europe during the holiday season and will be in the continent during Christmas and NYE. I'm currently picking places to visit on Christmas Eve/day in hopes of places not being closed. Anyone have recommendations for countries to visit during this time?
4 replies
Feb 14, 2008
56 posts
14 upvotes
Calgary
You won't want to miss out on some of the Christmas markets in Central Europe. Look into Dresden, Prague, Vienna, Budapest to name a few. The big Christmas markets are generally open every day through the holidays, and while a lot of other stuff will be closed, these are very cool experiences. And it's great to walk around these cities on "holidays" without being totally packed!

But, you just mentioned Europe, and although the distances are shorter than in North America, maybe these aren't anywhere near where you are going.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2059 posts
1181 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
CornPops wrote:
Jun 9th, 2019 8:41 pm
The family will be heading to Europe during the holiday season and will be in the continent during Christmas and NYE. I'm currently picking places to visit on Christmas Eve/day in hopes of places not being closed. Anyone have recommendations for countries to visit during this time?
Don’t know which day you are returning but January 6 is “La Befana” (The Epiphany) in Italy and a pretty big deal (a National Holiday). Some of the festivals start the day before (on the 5th) and you will find a festival atmosphere (parades, fireworks, street festivals atmospheres) all over the country.

I believe it is also celebrated elsewhere to some degree but have celebrated it many times in Italy. It’s especially fun for kids as “La Befana” (a nice witch if you will brings children presents).
[OP]
Jan 7, 2015
386 posts
44 upvotes
GVR
yyc-guy wrote:
Jun 9th, 2019 11:28 pm
You won't want to miss out on some of the Christmas markets in Central Europe. Look into Dresden, Prague, Vienna, Budapest to name a few. The big Christmas markets are generally open every day through the holidays, and while a lot of other stuff will be closed, these are very cool experiences. And it's great to walk around these cities on "holidays" without being totally packed!

But, you just mentioned Europe, and although the distances are shorter than in North America, maybe these aren't anywhere near where you are going.
Yes! I've read so many wonderful things about the Christmas markets in Europe, especially in the countries you listed. I should have been more specific since I'll be headed to London and Paris for sure. I was hoping for something in between, so Prague and Budapest might be out of contention unfortunately. Had a bad experience in Germany the last time I was there, so I want to avoid it for the time being.

Really appreciate the suggestions though, I definitely want to check out some Christmas markets while I'm there (hopefully not too late).

I am debating on the idea of visiting Spain or Portugal - perhaps Italy and train down to the coast?
BrunetteGirl wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 12:06 am
Don’t know which day you are returning but January 6 is “La Befana” (The Epiphany) in Italy and a pretty big deal (a National Holiday). Some of the festivals start the day before (on the 5th) and you will find a festival atmosphere (parades, fireworks, street festivals atmospheres) all over the country.

I believe it is also celebrated elsewhere to some degree but have celebrated it many times in Italy. It’s especially fun for kids as “La Befana” (a nice witch if you will brings children presents).
Also read about this holiday, seems like such a fun time to be in Italy and celebrating with the locals. Sucks that we'll be flying back on NYE/NYD.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5898 posts
2610 upvotes
yyc-guy wrote:
Jun 9th, 2019 11:28 pm

+1

Dresden and Prague were the first two that I thought of in response to this question as they are both fantastic cities as well as well known places for Christmas festivities. I have also heard great things about Christmas markets on Rhine River cruises.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)