Christmas Shopping..

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2017 4:03 am
Tags:
Jul 25, 2007
492 posts
149 upvotes

Christmas Shopping..

Who still has yet to start their Christmas shopping..I am going to the mall later this evening, and I imagine it was be a crap show with long lineups and a sea of people haha

Which mall do you folks recommend..within the Greater Toronto Area
8 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13285 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Yorkdale Mall. Go after 8pm. They close 9:30pm.

Less people after 8pm.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27803 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Not to worry... you are not alone.
Lots of folks still out there Shopping.
I am finished for the most part, as I have in recent years started doing more of my shopping online during Merry Madness (see below) definitely used to be Countdown to Christmas type.
My SO is all about the season... they are a “December Dreamer” ... with a touch of “Secret Snowman”
Christmas Shopping Styles

Early Birds Shop all year long picking up things they see that people who like when they see them on sale.

Summertime Savers ... start their shopping in August. August thru to Labour Day Weekend is the biggest turn around of merchandise in the year. Summer clearance, and new Fall styles on introduction promos.

Fall Elves... Do their shopping in October and November... taking advantage of great selection before the rush. They look for Sales the middle weekend in October (Columbus Day in the USA / Thanksgiving in Canada)

Merry Madness... the famous Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deep Discount Weekend that corresponds with US Thanksgiving. Great bargains but lots of stress as stores & malls are overflowing with shoppers. Reality is popular things have already been sold out... and with just 4 weeks to Christmas and the shipping nightmare that ensues, means there is a risk of some items may not arriving on time.

December Dreamers... these are the folks who leave it all till they get that Christmas Feeling... stores are busy, and weekends are nuts. Many things will be sold out and sales are not the best.

Secret Snowmen... the almost last minute shoppers... busy people stressed for time and looking for an easier way to cope with all they still have to get done (ie Overworked Stressed Out Moms). Best strategy ever... hit the shops / mall the night of a snowstorm. Like clockwork, there is always one in December. Stores will be relatively empty (weather too bad to go out in) but filled with scheduled staff. Great way to get a lot done in a relatively short amount of time. Shop with a list and an open mind... cause you may need alternative choices when things are already sold out.

21- 22 - 23 Countdown to Christmas - the bah humbug gang. They’ve put off Christmas Shopping to the last minute in hopes that the holiday might just go away... but ultimately realize they cannot disappoint family entirely. These folks usually pay a price for procrastination... not much in stock, not much on sale. Typically found buying... Gift Cards, Jewellery, Cologne, Flowers, Food Baskets, Booze, Chocolates & Lingerie. Store Ckerks know this group well (mostly men) and are not afraid to steer their purchases towards the higher end merchandise... guilt has these folks overspending.

Christmas Eve Night Owls - very much like the 21-22-23 Group... but usually means they have taken part of the day off from work to get it done. Shopping trip may be finished off with a meal, and too much egg nog / drinking. They aren’t crazy about the shopping, but they like the season. Night may or may not include wrapping into the wee hours beneath the Christmas tree.

Christmas Crisis Mgmt - the folks running around Christmas Day on the way to see family and end up buying their gifts at the Gas Station Convenience Store, and the one Drug Store across town that is open. Gifts from these folks are always a “surprise” to say the least... Windshield Washer Squirts anyone ?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5534 posts
2000 upvotes
Wat
PointsHubby wrote: Not to worry... you are not alone.
Lots of folks still out there Shopping.
I am finished for the most part, as I have in recent years started doing more of my shopping online during Merry Madness (see below) definitely used to be Countdown to Christmas type.
My SO is all about the season... they are a “December Dreamer” ... with a touch of “Secret Snowman”
Christmas Shopping Styles

Early Birds Shop all year long picking up things they see that people who like when they see them on sale.

Summertime Savers ... start their shopping in August. August thru to Labour Day Weekend is the biggest turn around of merchandise in the year. Summer clearance, and new Fall styles on introduction promos.

Fall Elves... Do their shopping in October and November... taking advantage of great selection before the rush. They look for Sales the middle weekend in October (Columbus Day in the USA / Thanksgiving in Canada)

Merry Madness... the famous Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deep Discount Weekend that corresponds with US Thanksgiving. Great bargains but lots of stress as stores & malls are overflowing with shoppers. Reality is popular things have already been sold out... and with just 4 weeks to Christmas and the shipping nightmare that ensues, means there is a risk of some items may not arriving on time.

December Dreamers... these are the folks who leave it all till they get that Christmas Feeling... stores are busy, and weekends are nuts. Many things will be sold out and sales are not the best.

Secret Snowmen... the almost last minute shoppers... busy people stressed for time and looking for an easier way to cope with all they still have to get done (ie Overworked Stressed Out Moms). Best strategy ever... hit the shops / mall the night of a snowstorm. Like clockwork, there is always one in December. Stores will be relatively empty (weather too bad to go out in) but filled with scheduled staff. Great way to get a lot done in a relatively short amount of time. Shop with a list and an open mind... cause you may need alternative choices when things are already sold out.

21- 22 - 23 Countdown to Christmas - the bah humbug gang. They’ve put off Christmas Shopping to the last minute in hopes that the holiday might just go away... but ultimately realize they cannot disappoint family entirely. These folks usually pay a price for procrastination... not much in stock, not much on sale. Typically found buying... Gift Cards, Jewellery, Cologne, Flowers, Food Baskets, Booze, Chocolates & Lingerie. Store Ckerks know this group well (mostly men) and are not afraid to steer their purchases towards the higher end merchandise... guilt has these folks overspending.

Christmas Eve Night Owls - very much like the 21-22-23 Group... but usually means they have taken part of the day off from work to get it done. Shopping trip may be finished off with a meal, and too much egg nog / drinking. They aren’t crazy about the shopping, but they like the season. Night may or may not include wrapping into the wee hours beneath the Christmas tree.

Christmas Crisis Mgmt - the folks running around Christmas Day on the way to see family and end up buying their gifts at the Gas Station Convenience Store, and the one Drug Store across town that is open. Gifts from these folks are always a “surprise” to say the least... Windshield Washer Squirts anyone ?
Nice writeup. Are you the author?
Sep 14, 2008
177 posts
171 upvotes
Went to Fairview around 7:30 last night and almost no one around. Between the weather and midweek, it may have played a factor.

But I will say, I found that even last year on Christmas eve, not many people were at the stores.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27803 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
CrypticThief wrote: Went to Fairview around 7:30 last night and almost no one around. Between the weather and midweek, it may have played a factor.

But I will say, I found that even last year on Christmas eve, not many people were at the stores.
Ya, more and more people are shopping on line, and Retailers are training us to shop earlier as BF / CYM become bigger & bigger aspects in the Annual Sales Cycle.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
dahurricaneg wrote: Who still has yet to start their Christmas shopping..I am going to the mall later this evening, and I imagine it was be a crap show with long lineups and a sea of people haha

Which mall do you folks recommend..within the Greater Toronto Area
Start??? Whoa, you made me think it was December 22nd or 23rd already, lol. Thankfully we have days and days still :D

...j/k I did start already, but I'm still a ways from being done unfortunately. As a heads up, do NOT to to Yorkdale during Christmas season unless you like looking for parking for 15-30mins, lol. Though TBH, I don't think shopping is as busy this year as in previous years though then again perhaps that's because I didn't actually start on Dec 2x this year, heh.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2015
1838 posts
1581 upvotes
Mont-Royal, QC
Not started yet...
Will do in the weekend, I may end up buying gift cards...
Jul 25, 2007
492 posts
149 upvotes
It seems as if there are only a few malls that people recommend..what about the Eaton Centre? I thought that was a must during the Holiday Season

I was at the Eaton Centre earlier in the month and anticipate going back there with family since it is a Holiday Season tradition..can't wait for Boxing Day either

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)