Travel

Christmas Travel Suggestions? (From YVR)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2017 8:50 am
Dec 20, 2015
169 posts
74 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Christmas Travel Suggestions? (From YVR)

So I just found out that my company closes the office from Christmas Eve to New Year's Day and now I have about 10 days off in December/January! I have no idea what to do with them as all my friends and family have already planned/used up their vacation days so I'm thinking of doing a short trip (backpacking or low budget).

The problem is... flights are astronomically expensive during this time! I tried different combinations and the cheapest flights seem to depart on Christmas Day which is perfectly fine with me but they're still pretty expensive ($1,100 vs $1,400) Does anybody have experience with booking Christmas flights? I know that it's still half a year away but I really want to leave North America for a bit. I'm hoping to spend less than $1500 Canadian dollars on the total trip but it will be tough if the flight itself is already over $1100...

Alternatively, I could take a couple days off in January to extend the Christmas break in order to get a better deal on flights. Any suggestions? :)

P.S. I would be departing from YVR Airport (Vancouver) and I'm not considering any resort/all-inclusive sort of vacations in Mexico.
1 reply
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1806 posts
520 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Where are you thinking of going? You could extend your Christmas break by leaving one or two weeks earlier, prices are usually cheaper mid-December.

In the past we've always booked our Christmas flights as soon as the prices came out, usually in February. That's when they were the cheapest. I kept checking the prices during the year and they only went up after that.

Having said that: this past year we got extremely lucky booking a flight only a week before Christmas. We'd decided to stay home for Christmas, but when I checked the week before, the flights were about $200 cheaper than the cheapest we've paid in the past for that same period ( but with a different airline).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)